• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So I traded the RT

P.S. I'm not really from Alabama.:brow

I could say something like....

"No doubt.........multiple teeth!"

But, what would that achieve?

As they say, if you can't say something nice............just move along.

BTW - have fun with the new bike.

Nice gold wing in all seriousness I'm glad you found a bike that your happy with. Gold wings are awesome bikes. Haven't ridden one but I grew up on the back of my daddy's silver wing, and I thought that bike was designed by god himself.
Roll Tide!

I have often thought of moving to a Goldwing myself. I had a 76 Wing years ago and I can still remember that you could hardly hear it running, both at idle and on the road. That still seems to be the case. But at the time it seemed to be an overly complex machine, and BMW's were renown for their durability, and simplicity. I got an r60 that I loved for years. Now, however the reverse seems true. With ABS, Can-bus wiring, electronic suspensions, etc., BMW's seem to be very high tech, but also very hard, and expensive, to work on by yourself. In addition, on the oilhead forum, it seems like every fifth posting is on a final drive failure, input shaft failure, or how to take most of the bike apart to put a dab of grease on the input shaft. I still love the BMW boxer ideal, but I would have to say that I'm questioning the reality.

EVERYONE loves Honda quality. Their cars, generator, motorcycles, etc. And that's built on solid performance, not past accomplishments. I'll bet the guy proudly riding around on his Harley has an Accord parked in his driveway at home. The Japanese know how to make quality, long lasting machinery, that doesn't seem to need a lot of overly complicated maintenance.

The biggest reason I am considering a Wing is the passenger situation. It seems like every issue of the MOA news that I go through is now filled with only articles on GS bikes. The travel articles, equipment reviews, everything. Road bikes seem to be a forgotten segment for BMW. And all those GS bikes have only ONE person on them, with all their stuff piled up where the pillion would be. I need a bike that can haul two people, and maybe their gear, too. No one beats a Goldwing for passenger comfort. Airheads had very small seats for two, my RT is better. I am beginning to see BMWs as a brand designed only for single guys.

Still, at $10,000 used, and 900+pounds of weight, Goldwings are both expensive and heavy, and very large. Please let us know how you like it after owning it for a while. I myself will find it very interesting.

I have often thought of moving to a Goldwing myself. I had a 76 Wing years ago and I can still remember that you could hardly hear it running, both at idle and on the road. That still seems to be the case. But at the time it seemed to be an overly complex machine, and BMW's were renown for their durability, and simplicity. I got an r60 that I loved for years. Now, however the reverse seems true. With ABS, Can-bus wiring, electronic suspensions, etc., BMW's seem to be very high tech, but also very hard, and expensive, to work on by yourself. In addition, on the oilhead forum, it seems like every fifth posting is on a final drive failure, input shaft failure, or how to take most of the bike apart to put a dab of grease on the input shaft. I still love the BMW boxer ideal, but I would have to say that I'm questioning the reality.

EVERYONE loves Honda quality. Their cars, generator, motorcycles, etc. And that's built on solid performance, not past accomplishments. I'll bet the guy proudly riding around on his Harley has an Accord parked in his driveway at home. The Japanese know how to make quality, long lasting machinery, that doesn't seem to need a lot of overly complicated maintenance.

The biggest reason I am considering a Wing is the passenger situation. It seems like every issue of the MOA news that I go through is now filled with only articles on GS bikes. The travel articles, equipment reviews, everything. Road bikes seem to be a forgotten segment for BMW. And all those GS bikes have only ONE person on them, with all their stuff piled up where the pillion would be. I need a bike that can haul two people, and maybe their gear, too. No one beats a Goldwing for passenger comfort. Airheads had very small seats for two, my RT is better. I am beginning to see BMWs as a brand designed only for single guys.

Still, at $10,000 used, and 900+pounds of weight, Goldwings are both expensive and heavy, and very large. Please let us know how you like it after owning it for a while. I myself will find it very interesting.

I prefer simplicity in my life in all facets. And durability. And ease of maintenance. I have that in Honda products. I've had the Goldwing for one month and have ridden 2300 miles at home and the surrounding areas. I love it as much as the day I bought it. My S/O loves the pillion area and the confidence she has sitting there. The bike is just a joy to ride, and has re energized my riding time. As for price, it's no more expensive new as a new RT, at least in basic form. Gas mileage is dependent on your right hand, but is usually around 40mpg. It is a bit heavy but it's all down low. I can't imagine at this time, riding anything else. It fit's my needs.

Approaching 17,000 miles in less than two summers on the 2012 2nd generation Gold Wing.

Awesome machine - extreme attention to detail, more power than I might ever need, basic engineering refined to near-perfection, and seems to shed 300 lbs. the minute you get it above a walking pace.

Can do everything with it I do with my R1200RT, but in greater comfort and unsurpassed reliability.

Honda and BMW are apples and oranges in the motorcycling world. Glad to have owned both, but the Wing is arguably a step up on numerous levels.

Keep in mind the new K1600GTL Exclusive is now less than a hundred pounds away from my Wing's wet weight. :deal

Last edited:
I Love my 2003 Wing I got in march of this year, it is also "fast and Furious Red" :p. I kept my 2009 R1200RT, because at least for my bike it is a great bike and I have it tuned to perfection, The RT is a better one up bike and a around town commuter. One thing different about owning a Wing though, is on the Wing forums all you seem to see are posts about upgrades and farkels, how to's, and good riding stories and such. You almost feel like you are on a different planet, where are all the daily posts on final drives, fuel strips, ABS, etc, but when you miss those things you just come on over to BMWMOA Hexheads...

I tried two of them.

And quickly grew to hate them both. Think the first was an 83 and last was a 07. Nothing wrong with the bikes at all. For a whale they are very agile. I just was never as comfortable on them as I am on a BMW. For some reason the wing seat made my butt hurt. Of course so would a stock BMW seat, probably quicker.
I think what I like about a BMW is that I never needed a backrest to be totally comfortable. Not true on Honda's or Harley's. I guess it is just which one you fit on better.

Approaching 17,000 miles in less than two summers on the 2012 2nd generation Gold Wing.

Awesome machine - extreme attention to detail, more power than I might ever need, basic engineering refined to near-perfection, and seems to shed 300 lbs. the minute you get it above a walking pace.

Can do everything with it I do with my R1200RT, but in greater comfort and unsurpassed reliability.

Honda and BMW are apples and oranges in the motorcycling world. Glad to have owned both, but the Wing is arguably a step up on numerous levels.

Keep in mind the new K1600GTL Exclusive is now less than a hundred pounds away from my Wing's wet weight. :deal

Apples and Oranges, a good statement comparing the RT to the Gold Wing. But, how do you compare the Wing to the GLT?

E

Apples and Oranges, a good statement comparing the RT to the Gold Wing. But, how do you compare the Wing to the GLT?

E

Actually, while my bike was in for service at Nick's BMW (now Tytler's BMW), I was tossed the keys to a new K1600GTL by Jim Eng - had it for several days. Didn't like it.

Barely any more room than the R1200RT for either myself or a passenger. Cargo capacity not dramatically increased. Same FD design. A whiney engine I guess you just have to get used to - basically just a hyper-expensive R1200RT. If you're happy with the RT - keep it. I didn't view it as an upgrade. If you're new to BMW and want a GTL - then buy one.

As to your specific question, the Wing feels more 'grounded' and stable, due to a lower center of gravity than the GTL did. It corners and cuts curves better (up until I start scraping hard parts, that is!) and hauls a ton of stuff if you add a luggage rack and big bag on the back. Compliments every where I go with it.

GTL had more fuel capacity and better MPG.

Gold Wing could use a lower 1st gear and then a 6th gear. Would be nice if ABS was standard on all models. Get rid of the TPMS.

And no - I don't have or need a backrest (never did on my Honda Pacific Coast years ago either).

Bottom line - ride whatever bike you truly like - don't try to just like whatever bike you ride. :thumb

I had a Goldwing for a while. It was a superb road bike. Not so great for the daily riding that I do. For my money, the R1200RT is the best of both worlds: plenty of comfort and luxury for the long haul, light and maneuverable enough for the daily commute. BUT: and it's a big but -- if I wasn't comfortable on it, then I'd be looking for something else, just like Mike had to do. I know you'll love that Wing -- you look so proud standing next to it!

Oh yeah, I've had a couple of Harley's too. They were awesome in their own way. My '06 RT is the best bike ever made -- for me! And I hope the rest of you feel the same way about your bikes.

Nice bike,
My friends that have them love them. A bit to "sedanish", is that a word?, for me but that why they make different bikes.

Enjoy the ride..

I, too, am selling my RT (a '99). Age and a worsening right leg. But instead of a Gold Wing, I'm considering a Can-Am Spyder RT-S (I need three wheels). But talk about pricey -- they're asking over $28K for them! :eek But from what I read on the Spyder forums, they're s-m-o-o-t-h.

Nothing BMW currently makes interests me. I'm not a fan of the angular, humpbacked, atomic-mutated-cockroach school of design.

I, too, am selling my RT (a '99). Age and a worsening right leg. But instead of a Gold Wing, I'm considering a Can-Am Spyder RT-S (I need three wheels). But talk about pricey -- they're asking over $28K for them! :eek But from what I read on the Spyder forums, they're s-m-o-o-t-h.

Nothing BMW currently makes interests me. I'm not a fan of the angular, humpbacked, atomic-mutated-cockroach school of design.

A local to me franchise conglomerate which has BMW also has Can-Am. Talked with the Service Manager who oversees a few of their facilities one of which is Can-Am. He told me tried very hard to like them but riding wise it is just not a motorcycle. And on the service end... they hate them.

For me if I "had" to no longer ride but still wanted the wind in my hair, I'd buy a nice convertible. For $28k you can get a sweet BMW Z4. The Can-Am is going to take up the space of a full car in your garage so why not just fill it with one?

A local to me franchise conglomerate which has BMW also has Can-Am. Talked with the Service Manager who oversees a few of their facilities one of which is Can-Am. He told me tried very hard to like them but riding wise it is just not a motorcycle. And on the service end... they hate them.

For me if I "had" to no longer ride but still wanted the wind in my hair, I'd buy a nice convertible. For $28k you can get a sweet BMW Z4. The Can-Am is going to take up the space of a full car in your garage so why not just fill it with one?

Or a Miata. Much less money, more reliable. I had one for a couple of years. The first year with the power retractable hard top. That was the closest thing to a 4 wheel motorcycle I've ever driven. I just barely fit in it. I mean, barely. If I ever want or need to give up two wheels, I'd get another convertible before I got a trike or Can-Am. But I'm glad those options are out there for people who want them.

Back