• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Homemade Accessories, Gear, Tools, Improvements, Clothing Have You Made ?

MagnaCart, spray-on bedliner, cutting board

I don't have pics right now of any of these things, but will get some posted. In the meantime, I am a new member of the MOA, and was pleasantly surprised to see what other inventors (or is that cheapskates?) are doing.

I ride almost exclusively solo, a couple of years ago I had a 1996 R1100GS, I stripped the foam and cover off the rear seat (saving them for future use, of course), then mounted a suitable size piece of about 3/8"thick cutting board on the seat pan, covered that with the self-adhesive black rubber diamond plate stuff (Harbor Freight), then mounted the foot from a "MagnaCart" dolly (available at Costco, Sam's, Lowe's, and Home Depot, etc (cost about 20 bucks at sam's). It is a nice piece of Aluminum in just the right shape and size. Spray it with spray-on Bedliner. The seat pan being at the bottom of everything allows you to use the new rack just like the seat, latches and keys still work and everthing.

I have used the MagnaCart dolly foot to make racks for topcases, using stainless hardware and standoffs made of conduit to both cover the bolts and penetrations in the topcase and to make easy standard height adjustments for the rack. The racks have "dogs" with holes already drilled to accept eyebolts (stainless, of course) for bungees or carabiners. Again, spray the racks and stand0ff spacers with bedliner; have had people ask me where to buy the racks! Now if I can figure out how to make use of all the dolly handles and casters, then things will be grand.

I don't have pics right now of any of these things, but will get some posted. In the meantime, I am a new member of the MOA, and was pleasantly surprised to see what other inventors (or is that cheapskates?) are doing.

I ride almost exclusively solo, a couple of years ago I had a 1996 R1100GS, I stripped the foam and cover off the rear seat (saving them for future use, of course), then mounted a suitable size piece of about 3/8"thick cutting board on the seat pan, covered that with the self-adhesive black rubber diamond plate stuff (Harbor Freight), then mounted the foot from a "MagnaCart" dolly (available at Costco, Sam's, Lowe's, and Home Depot, etc (cost about 20 bucks at sam's). It is a nice piece of Aluminum in just the right shape and size. Spray it with spray-on Bedliner. The seat pan being at the bottom of everything allows you to use the new rack just like the seat, latches and keys still work and everthing.

I have used the MagnaCart dolly foot to make racks for topcases, using stainless hardware and standoffs made of conduit to both cover the bolts and penetrations in the topcase and to make easy standard height adjustments for the rack. The racks have "dogs" with holes already drilled to accept eyebolts (stainless, of course) for bungees or carabiners. Again, spray the racks and stand0ff spacers with bedliner; have had people ask me where to buy the racks! Now if I can figure out how to make use of all the dolly handles and casters, then things will be grand.

It would be nice to see your work.....please post some pictures if you can.

Back