• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'85 K100RS Two wires behind speedo

8ninety8

Just taking things apart, look see, '85 K100RS, behind speedo two wires labeled Kabelfertigung, red and white, and brown. Look like they powered something up, don't have schematic. Thanx if you know.

Please try to remember to include the year and model in the title (I added that for you).

When you say "behind the speedo", do you mean inside the cluster or outside?
Are there any connectors on the wire ends? What kind? Pictures would definitely help.

Kabelfertigung means cable manufacturing.

The only red/white wire that is in that area that I'm aware of is the power wire for the clock and that wire should be plugged into one of the two long connectors on the back of the cluster. Any brown wire is a ground. Does your clock work?

:dance:dance:dance

Think I figured it out, there's a gray/wht wire connected to the same spade, probably the parking lamp, which means the red/wht wire was just an accessory hook up for something. I'll just remove for now. Thanx.

The terminals on the end of the wires appear to be round "banana plug" style plugs. As far as I know, all the stock factory terminals were flat "spade" type connectors.

If it's hooked to the parking light, it probably IS for an aftermarket or factory optional switched source like powering the relay for driving lights. Or it could be used for switched power for very low current items like a GPS.

Just tape it off and leave it for future use. But, only use it to switch relays or for low draw electronics. Don't use it to directly power anything with any significant load.

Anybody hook up a vacuum gauge to K100 lately? I did last night and it bounced all over the place. Have to wrap me head around that for a while. Idles good, pulls good, can make it back fire if I rack the throttle up and down, and it burbles real nice whenever backing off. Guess it's like most bricks, a few glitches. For an old airhead rider, gotta learn some new habits.

Last edited:
The needle on a vacuum gauge will "bounce all over the place" if it's not an adequately dampened gauge.
A dampened gauge has a tiny restrictor in it so that it does not show rapid changes in the vacuum signal. Since a Kbikes vacuum ports each only read a single cylinder, the vacuum signal varies wildly between valve overlap and pure intake stroke.

A dampened gauge will show a constant reading. Yours is not adequately dampened. A plug in the hose with a hole SMALLER than .030" should do it.

Back