• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Marvel Mystery Oil???

I also have a good experience with MMO fixing sticky valve tappets in 2 high mile vehicles. They are a pain when they make noise.
One way to approach this is to pour a quart in with say 700 miles left on a oil change. Left the stuff do its thing and dissolve a bunch of deposits.
Change the oil and filter and put another quart in the crankcase and run it through its next oil change cycle.
Then just change the oil and filter with no MMO.
See what happens.
It may work and it is way easier and cheaper than doing any mechanical work on a engine you just need to use and are not willing to put any money into like my 1995 Pathfinder with 370,000 miles.
Nick Kennedy

I also have a good experience with MMO fixing sticky valve tappets in 2 high mile vehicles. They are a pain when they make noise.
One way to approach this is to pour a quart in with say 700 miles left on a oil change. Left the stuff do its thing and dissolve a bunch of deposits.
Change the oil and filter and put another quart in the crankcase and run it through its next oil change cycle.
Then just change the oil and filter with no MMO.
See what happens.
It may work and it is way easier and cheaper than doing any mechanical work on a engine you just need to use and are not willing to put any money into like my 1995 Pathfinder with 370,000 miles.
Nick Kennedy

I have heard, though do not defend, nor adhere to, that doing as you describe will work, but it will have some negative effects. The "sludge" (for want of a better word) or crud that is being eliminated from the hyd. lifters, will then leave a gap, as it was "plugging" up that wear, which in turn will allow the oil to get by! Some guys say it is better on an old engine to just simply leave all that crud in there to help it hold oil!

Don't subscribe to it, but I am just sayin' that some people do say it!

Back