• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain gear suggestions?

Dann

I got caught in a big thunderstorm yesterday coming back from a ride in the Catskills and found out the limit of how much water my riding gear can take.

I'm now looking into getting some rain gear to put on top of my riding jacket / pants.

Suggestions?

rain gear

Three suggestions: avoid dark colors that make you hard to see; don't buy a one-piece rainsuit unless you are very, very certain it fits, and something that breathes like Frogg Toggs is a good trade-off as opposed to a suit that may be more durable.
You want to be seen in inclement weather. If you ride a long time in a non-breathable suit you're gonna feel like you're in a sauna. One piece suits pose all sorts of challenges for a good fit.
A final thought: A rainsuit with a hood to go under the helmet can avoid the rain running down the back of your neck, down your spine and into your nether parts.
My two cents, based on many personal bad choices in rain gear purchases.

In my experience I've never tried wearing a hood under my helmet in the rain-and I don't wanna start! The way my Rev-it jacket collar is made, the rain doesn't go to my "nether places" in the rain. :thumb That does sound icky...

It's easy to wear a reflective safety vest over whatever you have on.

OLYMPIA Horizon Rain Gear

http://olympiamotosports.com/category/catalog/horizon-rain-gear/

Wear over your existing gear - quick suit-up when skies darken - quick strip off when skies clear!

:thumb

Frog Toggs for motorcycle rain gear is the best I've found. I can use it as a wind breaker when its cool out, and I just returned home from the St. Paul rally and hit a 100 mile ling rain front with significantly challenging wind and rain. Stayed nice and dry underneath my Toggs, and wore my mesh yellow jacket over the upper Togg suit for visibility! Been using this same set-up for the past 7 years while touring and have not been disappointed yet. And they don't feel like a sauna when riding for a couple of hours at a time. The only drawback to the Toggs is they don't like heat very much, so if you touch them to your exhaust pipe, you will melt a hole in them right off... Other than that, no drawbacks and they are inexpensive to boot.....

Rain Gear Suggestion - Actual BMW Catalogue Gear...

The previously mentioned Olympia gear is high quality, high vis, and a great choice. I have tried that on and the sizing is huge; don't order that on-line without trying it on or the ability to return it. Two others worth the money...I have the BMW ProRain3 one piece. Harder to put on than a two piece, yes definitely, but completely stormproof. If you're on a trip and it's raining hard all day, no problem. Deluge, no problem. Little lady on the pillion has the BMW Rainlock 2 Jacket. It's incredibly well made, red (high vis), and very easy to pull on and off and she stays dry. They are both on the expensive side (like the Olympia gear) but you absolutely get the quality. Far superior to Frogg Toggs.

Frog Toggs for motorcycle rain gear is the best I've found. I can use it as a wind breaker when its cool out, and I just returned home from the St. Paul rally and hit a 100 mile ling rain front with significantly challenging wind and rain. Stayed nice and dry underneath my Toggs, and wore my mesh yellow jacket over the upper Togg suit for visibility! Been using this same set-up for the past 7 years while touring and have not been disappointed yet. And they don't feel like a sauna when riding for a couple of hours at a time. The only drawback to the Toggs is they don't like heat very much, so if you touch them to your exhaust pipe, you will melt a hole in them right off... Other than that, no drawbacks and they are inexpensive to boot.....

Which model of Frogg Toggs are you refering to?
They all seem to have a big hood, Does it interfere with the helmet?

I bought mine second hand, so can't be sure of the model. I think it's the Road Toad. The hood rolls up into the collar and zips shut. I haven't worn it on the bike, but like to have it at rallies for bad weather. My regular jacket has a good rain liner and I use that. I was after an over pant for the rain though, because the liner for my riding pants is a PITA to put in when I need it. If I go without, the rain runs down my legs and fills up my boots :cry. I like having something I can put on quickly without getting undressed at the side of the road.

Which model of Frogg Toggs are you refering to?
They all seem to have a big hood, Does it interfere with the helmet?

Not sure of the model name, but I purchased my toggs at Cabela's. They have both a zipper and
Velcro closure over the zipper, high visibility piping on the back of the jacket, and the hood rolls up on the back neck when not in use. I've never had to use the hood while riding as my helmet must fit over the collar enough to keep water from penetrating the back of my neck. You can spend a whole lot more if you wish, but I've never been left down by the Toggs. I do buy an extra large
Pants size to allow dressing on the side of the road without needing to take off my riding boots.

With so many good riding clothes that are waterproof and breathable I don't see why someone would want to mess with liners and covers.

Get a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants set and be done with carrying extra rain gear. Works great for me and comfortable from low 20's (with heated gear) to around 100 with cooing vest. Very satisfied and well made. Cheers.

+1 on the Frog Toggs! A great choice if you have to use an extra layer for rain protection. Light weight, breathable and completely waterproof. You can find them in lots of stores to try on. Motorcycle shops, sporting goods, Wally World, reasonably priced also.

If you can afford it, switch to a Klim suit and pants and no need to ever stop and change if it starts to rain, just keep riding. They work great, but expensive. I love mine.

+1 on the Frog Toggs! A great choice if you have to use an extra layer for rain protection. Light weight, breathable and completely waterproof. You can find them in lots of stores to try on. Motorcycle shops, sporting goods, Wally World, reasonably priced also.

If you can afford it, switch to a Klim suit and pants and no need to ever stop and change if it starts to rain, just keep riding. They work great, but expensive. I love mine.

I'm not looking for a new jacket/pants combo. I'm very happy with the one I have . I wear it temperature ranging from below freezing ( with a heated vest ) to 90+ (turns into an armored mesh jacket) .
I'm only looking for something to add in case of a major downpour.

BMW makes a great one piece rain suit for around $100, might be what you're looking for.
I've looked into it . It's the Prorain3 suit In my area it's $175 + tx =$210.

Right now,I'm leaning towards the Frogg Toggs Kikker 2 and the ToadSkinz Rain Pants.

Unfortunately no one sells Frogg Toggs in my area. I will have to order it online and I'm always hesitant to buy a jacket and pants that I've never tried and don't know which size fits best.

Although I haven't yet had... the opportunity... to use them, I just bought the Froggs Toggs Pro Adventure jacket and Pro Bib pants. If you order them, order in your normal size, even though you plan to wear them over your riding suit. They run very large for this purpose. I wear a 46 short jacket and the XL Pro Adv jacket fits easily over my armored textile riding jacket. Same with the bib pants - the XL size can be worn over my riding suit. This, and the fact that there are zippers on the pant legs, makes it easy to jump into the FT without removing any of my riding gear.

Thanks for all your inputs
I ended up buying a Frogg Toggs Kikker II jacket & Toad Skinz rain pants.

Back