• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Putting 1200RT on center stand question

awagnon

I just had a right total shoulder replacement following an accident. I was told that in the future I shouldn't be lifting more than 30 pounds with that arm. I'm worried I won't be able to put my 1200RT onto the center stand which I do use especially when washing and working on the bike. So, does anyone know about how much lifting pounds it takes to put the RT on the center stand when using all the usual leverage of rocking the bike back, etc. I thought about getting a smaller bike, but my F650 thumper was even harder to put on it's center stand. BTW, being grounded this time of year sucks.

Al

I do not have that figure but it feels like more than 30 lbs.

If it's your right shoulder that was repalced, I'am pretty sure that you will not be able to get your RT on the center stand.:(

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Hard to answer the question without some more info. Do you have a top trunk? Are your saddlebags routinely loaded? How much do you weigh? The heavier you are the easier it is to get the bike on the centerstand ( I recently lost 70 pounds so I know this to be true). Do you have electronic suspension? If you set the ESA to two up with luggage the shock preload will will raise the rear of the bike slightly so you don't have to lift it as far. A slightly shortened centerstand will also ease your burden.

I would not chance it. I moved to a lighter bike after an illness where I lost more than 50 pounds and most of my strength. I got a F700GS, and I cannot get it on the center stand without a bit help. When I need to raise it, I let my wife lift from the back while I center the bike. If you screw up your shoulder again you may lose the ability to ride altogether.

Thanks for the replies. The only time I put the bike on the center stand is for washing and wrenching. At those times, the bags are empty or already off. The suggestion about changing the ESA is a good idea, like putting a board under the rear tire, but easier. I'm a light weight at about 165 pounds, so I don't have the same leverage as a larger person.

I have considered a smaller bike like the F700. Like I said, my former F650 was actually harder to get up than the RT, so that may not be the answer.

I've see seen lifting devices for some bikes that hook on the rear axle and have a long lever arm for lifting the bike. I wonder if there is something similar for the RT that would go through the hole in the axle. Could then transfer the weight to the center stand if servicing the rear tire or wheel. I just don't want to quit riding and wrenching because of this danged shoulder.

Al

I agree, my 700 is harder to put on center stand than my R1200R was. I went from 200 plus to 155, and I do not have the weight or strength either. There are adjustable paddock stands for both front and rear wheels, although only to be used one at a time. Some made for a particular bike, others adjustable. I considered one of those several times. With a bit of searching I am sure you can find one that will work. This would be my first choice. I am like you, I have been riding nearly 50 years, and I cannot stand the though of giving it up. There are still places I want to see before I do. Good luck.

Edit, try here. There are other sites too. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-bmw-r1200rt-paddock-stand/o/m155698sch804638

I agree, my 700 is harder to put on center stand than my R1200R was. I went from 200 plus to 155, and I do not have the weight or strength either. There are adjustable paddock stands for both front and rear wheels, although only to be used one at a time. Some made for a particular bike, others adjustable. I considered one of those several times. With a bit of searching I am sure you can find one that will work. This would be my first choice. I am like you, I have been riding nearly 50 years, and I cannot stand the though of giving it up. There are still places I want to see before I do. Good luck.

Edit, try here. There are other sites too. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-bmw-r1200rt-paddock-stand/o/m155698sch804638

It's not the lifting with the shoulder that gets the bike up, rather, it's the pressing of the foot on the lever. Try it. The arm just steadies the bike on its way up.

It's not the lifting with the shoulder that gets the bike up, rather, it's the pressing of the foot on the lever. Try it. The arm just steadies the bike on its way up.

I an not trying to be smart, so please understand that I realize this. I have over 48 years riding experience, over a million miles, owned and ridden almost every brand I can think of, including a bunch of BMWs. But, the lever sticking out of the F series GS center stand (the new design) does not provide much leverage for a light person. I stand on it with my other foot off the ground, and I still have to lift with probably 60 or 70 pounds of force with my right hand. I did not have to do this with my other BMWs. I can do it, but it really is a strain, and someone with a bad shoulder should not be doing it at all.

This idea might take more effort than you want to do but... if you have a suitable spot to attach a hoist of some sort above the rear of the bike it could be used to take the bulk of the weight of the rear end allowing for easy deployment of the center stand.

If you are pushing down with your right foot and lifting with your right hand and pulling back from left to right I doubt if his right arm is lifting more than thirty lbs.
Someone said pushing down with your foot, I agree that's where all the torque is.
IMHO

I think lifting the F650 was out of the question, and I believe he was asking about the R1200RT, which is what I was referring to. And, no, I didn't take your comment as being "smart" - we're all trying to help the gent.

Thanks Joe, that is what I am trying to do too, help the OP. I went through what he is going through now, and it sucks. I retired from the durable medical equipment industry (power wheelchairs) so I saw a lot of folks like him, those wish they still could do their favorite activity. My main concern is he may hurt himself further, and never be able to ride again. Trying to learn how to lift the bike now may cause him to do that, thus why not find another option instead of getting a new bike. That is why I like the paddock stand.

Wayne

I just had a right total shoulder replacement following an accident. I was told that in the future I shouldn't be lifting more than 30 pounds with that arm. I'm worried I won't be able to put my 1200RT onto the center stand which I do use especially when washing and working on the bike. So, does anyone know about how much lifting pounds it takes to put the RT on the center stand when using all the usual leverage of rocking the bike back, etc. I thought about getting a smaller bike, but my F650 thumper was even harder to put on it's center stand. BTW, being grounded this time of year sucks.

Al

I would look at having a fab shop weld on a reverse copy of the step arm to the right side of the center stand. Then you could put the bike on the side stand, walk around and use your left foot and arm to raise the bike. If you shop around this should not be too expensive. A m/c salvage yard might have a scrap center stand with a properly shaped arm. I think there is room on the right side for a little longer arm since it does not have to clear the muffler. You could also look at a paddock stand to go thru the front or rear axle. this could be rigged up with a rather long lever arm.

Putting 1200RT on centerstand.

Thanks for the replies. The only time I put the bike on the center stand is for washing and wrenching. At those times, the bags are empty or already off. The suggestion about changing the ESA is a good idea, like putting a board under the rear tire, but easier. I'm a light weight at about 165 pounds, so I don't have the same leverage as a larger person.

I have considered a smaller bike like the F700. Like I said, my former F650 was actually harder to get up than the RT, so that may not be the answer.

I've see seen lifting devices for some bikes that hook on the rear axle and have a long lever arm for lifting the bike. I wonder if there is something similar for the RT that would go through the hole in the axle. Could then transfer the weight to the center stand if servicing the rear tire or wheel. I just don't want to quit riding and wrenching because of this danged shoulder.

Al

I have seen a wheel lift made by Pit-Bull that may interest you. Log onto their site and watch their demo.

It seems to me you just need a longer lever arm on the center stand so your weight stepping down will do more of the work and your associated lifting effort will be significantly less. I think a hooked and appropriately bent / configured piece of steel could hook around the vertical portion of the left part of the center stand and apply force on top of the foot extension but with a longer lever action. You'd probably have to "install" it once you pushed the stand down near the ground so there would be room for the part, and then remove and stow it once you got it up on the stand.
Thats my thought, anyway. I haven't even gone down to the barn to study my RT and see if such an idea would, but since leverage helped build the pyramids...

i would suggest a Pitbull Hybrid stand for the rear....i have one and it works really well and is VERY easy to use....and i do not use my right hand at all.....

http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchan...F0099-400&Category_Code=one_armed_rear_stands

insert the stand in the "big hole" of the FD, pull the bike vertical, lever the stand into position......then you can put the center stand down....

i also have the front end stand that lifts the bike from under the forks....good combo in my opinion....

http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchan...uct_Code=F0100-100&Category_Code=front_stands

wyman

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The PitBull may be the way to go. A bit pricy, but worth it not to wreck my shoulder.

-Al

Depending on your weight. Lighter folks HAVE to lift up on the bike to get it on the centerstand.

That's a big part of my problem. I only weigh 160 pounds, so my weight alone isn't enough to get the bike on the center stand. My previous 1200RT had Wunderlich pannier guards which provided a lower grip for lifting the bike. I wasn't going to put them on this bike, but I may reconsider.

Back