• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tent camping near Gillette/Sheridan?

mcdjt

Hello, this Friday Aug 8th I'll be in the Gillette/Sheridan WY area and am looking for tent camping suggestions. Any local advice for an out of towner.

I'm leaving WI early Friday will go through MN & SD and would like to stop for the night somewhere in WY before heading up to Bear Tooth Highway & into Yellowstone.

My Saturday goal is to camp in the Southern portion of Yellowstone or anywhere in Grand Teton NP. I realize it's first come first served so I'm tempted to reserve a site at one of the few sites that allow it.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you

Koa

There is a KOA camp ground at the northern end Of Sheridan,WY, or at least there was a few years ago and a few decent places to eat close by.

I remember the rally at Gillette. It can get quite windy and some nasty storms can roll through. Make sure you secure your tent nice and tight, even if the weather seems calm at the time.

I'm from Annapolis MD so take this for what it's worth - when we went through there last fall on the bikes we stopped at Buffalo WY and just east of the expressway on 16 was a nice campground that had some secluded tent camping sights a short walk down the hill from the showers and laundry facilities. They even had power and picnic tables at the tent sights. It was quiet and easy and from there, it's a short way up the interstate the next morning to 14 which you are definitely going to want to take over to Cody. 14 to 14A over the Big Horns is a great ride.

Buffalo is half way between Gillette and Sheridan.

I'm from Annapolis MD so take this for what it's worth - when we went through there last fall on the bikes we stopped at Buffalo WY and just east of the expressway on 16 was a nice campground that had some secluded tent camping sights a short walk down the hill from the showers and laundry facilities. They even had power and picnic tables at the tent sights. It was quiet and easy and from there, it's a short way up the interstate the next morning to 14 which you are definitely going to want to take over to Cody. 14 to 14A over the Big Horns is a great ride.

Buffalo is half way between Gillette and Sheridan.
FYI: And Buffalo has a KOA. :thumb

When we're near Buffalo we like to stay at Deer Park. The camping area is lush and green and you'll have a turkey sunset drill and deer to watch. Friendly people. Off the highway a bit.

http://www.deerparkrv.com/

Voni
sMiling

I will often camp in a primitive US Forest Service or State Forest campgrounds. Wyoming has around 20 US Forest Service campground locations with hundreds of individual campsites. These are usually just a place to pitch your tent or open your camper. There is no food service. Usually, but not always, there is drinkable water and a latrine, but not much else. Sometimes they are on an easy road, other times a GS would be preferable. They are also inexpensive....sometime free. There are also small town campgrounds that are usually free.

I do not normally cook when I camp. I either eat before I head for the campground or take food for a cold evening meal. I get up early in the morning, pack up and ride until I find a place for coffee and food. Not having food reduces the probability of critters wanting to join you...including bears in some areas. I do not want to carry the equipment for cooking.

If the campground does not have facilities, I wash up and shave at rest areas along the road.

I have stayed at some wonderful, beautiful sites...and a few I would avoid in the future. There were some too isolated that felt unsafe, so I rode on. I usually felt safer if I was not the only camper in sight.

I camped like this when riding solo. My wife and daughters were not into a site without a latrine. I pack toilet paper and baby wipes to help with personal hygiene.

Back