• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forgive me father for I haves Sinned - It's been 20 years since my last motorcycle...

Grantwallace

Hi Folks!
Thats's right, 20 years. My last bike was an Honda XR 200 and life has now gotten to the point that I can start ticking some things off my list. I live in MN and, believe it or not, I missed the rally. I am however convinced after having friends rave about the BMWs that I am now down to what bike I will eventually get. I am an aircraft mechanic & pilot by trade and a manager by attrition... I am a technical and analytical type of person so expect some newbie questions but feel free to fire away with the complex answer. Thanks for the site and I look forward to meeting many of you in the future. If you're in the Twin Cities, MN area drop me a line.

Grant Wallace
about.me/grantwallace

Last edited:
Grant -

Welcome! Did you notice all the BMWs in town when the rally was going on? There were quite a few.

Don't keep us in suspense...what BMW are you thinking about getting?

I fly whatever they'll let me. But I am rebuilding a 1946 J-3 Cub. I am thinking about the 800GSA or the 1200GSA. Though, recently the 1200GS has become a little more appealing. I'm tall enough to ride the Adventure and my plans are to try and do more off road than on road riding but I'm just not sure what i'll end up doing. My ideal mission would be a 4 day trip from here to the badlands and back, ride the levee down the mississippi down to where I grew up and back and off road jaunts to explore. I dont have any "Round the World" plans but the thought that i could is exciting. I won't be buying until the spring so I have plenty of time to listen to advice from you guys & gals. I did notice quite a few more 1200GS' in town over the past week. Upon seeing one I would say to my 9 Year old daughter..."Hey look , theres a 1200 GS...That's the bike Daddy wants" She is super stoked to get a motorcycle but I think next year at ten would be a good age.

Grant Wallace
about.me/grantwallace

Last edited:
I am thinking about the 800GSA or the 1200GSA. Though, recently the 1200GS has become a little more appealing.
Grant Wallace
about.me/grantwallace

I think the deciding factor between the 800 and the 1200 is the amount of off road riding you will be doing. More off road, I would pick the 800.
The 1200 is going to be better for long distance and interstate riding.

But you will see the 1200 GS and GSA in a lot of off road terrain conditions. Check out the Adventure Rider website. Every day you will see a new place somewhere on the globe where a 1200 GS/GSA has now conquered. A lot depends on the skill of the rider and how you equip the bike.

I took the 800 GSA and then the 1200 GSA for demo rides at the MOA rally in St. Paul. I liked the 800 GSA, but loved the 1200 GSA. (and I did not expect to like the 1200 GSA).

My 1 hour and 15 minute demo rides were all on pavement which included a lot of metro interstate riding - lane changing across 4 and 5 lanes of traffic, exit ramps, trying to get ahead of other traffic. The 1200 GSA was confidence inspiring in that environment (not that I want to ride in that environment, but sometimes you have no choice.)

Once we got out to 2 lane country roads, I would still vote for the 1200 GSA (due to suspension, brakes, engine)

Price is the first factor - if you can afford the 1200, then seriously consider 1200 over the 800.

The 1200 GSA has a 7.9 gallon tank. So the 800 GSA and the 1200 GSA win over the 1200 GS on fuel range.

The 800 has tubed tires, the 1200 tubeless.

The 800 GSA has very limited luggage options currently. Jesse may come out with luggage for it later this year.

If you can, recommend getting a test ride on the 3 bikes, although a 1200 GSA demo bike may be hard to find right now.

Thoughts - back to back off road testing 800 vs 1200GS

I took the BMW offroad riding course a while back - started with the 800 and switched to the 1200 after lunch. My thoughts? The 1200GS was actually easier to ride in the tight technical stuff - lighter hydraulic clutch, better torque curve.

The instructor said that a lot of people felt that way.

Both solid machines, but I ride a 1200GS.

Welcome aboard!

Glad to have you as a member, I loved the new WC 12GS when I test road it. I ended up with a new K16GTL but that was due to comfort of my spouse (well and the power is amazing).

Anyways - good luck with the decision and thanks for being a member.

The general perception of a BMW motorcycle owner is they are a bit off socially. I think many of us are analytical and mechanically inclined which leads me back to a bit off socially.
Welcome to the group!
I am 57 years old and I rode my first boxer motor in 1974. From that day on I have wanted a Boxer. I ride an 08 RT.
Yes I am socially retarded.

Back