• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Comparing shifting styles 1994 K75S

Slipster

Slipster
I've gotten into a bad habit of sorts and am wondering if I may glean some knowledge and expertise direction from my fellow K Bike riders.

This all concerns the balancing act of inconvenience vs. lugging the engine. My ritual is with slow traffic, stop light traffic etc? where you are left with the decision to
either downshift into 1st by coming to an almost complete stop or upping the revs while staying in 2nd and experiencing all of that wonderful lugging noises from the engine.
My bad habits have been with staying in 2nd , experiencing the engine lugging but avoiding an almost complete stop to avoid cagers anger waiting on my downshift into 1st.
It's like a zone you find that you need between 1st and 2nd gear.I know lugging the engine is not good but clunking down to 1st is a hassle sometimes. I wish 1st gear was taller :laugh

I struggled with the same issue, and then - on a trip through the Alps where one really wants to power through tight corners - I learned to downshift smoothly into first with the bike still moving ahead. For me, the key was rolling the throttle on as I downshifted. I'd squeeze the clutch lever and begin the roll-on as soon as the clutch disengaged - if the bike jerks forward while you're still in 2d, you began the roll-on too soon.

It was (and remains) quite a lovely feeling to downshift and stay under power (and control).

Last edited:
Can't comment with first hand experience on a K75 but on my K1100 and K1200 I downshift into first all the time in traffic situations. Without a doubt, the K engines like to rev so I prefer to let them. A lugging motor is not a happy motor.
Jeff

I agree with David and Jeff.

It's just a matter of matching RPM to the speed and gear you want to downshift to. Admittedly, it is harder going down into 1st, but definitely doable under 20mph. Just a quick blip of the throttle at the right time.

If that doesn't work, you may be experiencing dry or worn clutch splines, which manifests itself in hard downshifting (usually first noticed in higher gears as those should be VERY easy to downshift all the time). In the downshift to 1st, dry or worn splines could make the downshift very hard indeed.

:dance:dance:dance

Interesting. I have often taken off in second with no problem. This bike has roll on torque. I agree with all that is said here. As an example you are pulling to the light in second at 10 mph. You have two choices..stay in 2nd and dont let the clutch out real fast..you will pull on fine..or note rpm in second, pull in clutch, and increase by about 500 rpm's you will be close..get to feel ur bike..ride it..bmws are great, but they like a man to take charge..lol also make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly. It should be done probably every 8k miles. You should have about 5-10 mm's of play in your clutch before you feel the pressure..

Thanks to all! My splines are all lubed and good, clutch cable is new and adjusted properly so it is just my learning curve getting in the way :)
I will practice on getting my rpms up on a downshift to 1st so that I can do it at a faster rolling speed. That gear is so low I will be sure to reengage the clutch slowly enough to not throw myself over the handlebars :nono

What kind of speed are you having problems at?

My bike never doesn't want to go down to first. Never have to force it.
The speed is around 5mph. You are still rolling so it will clunk into 1st no problem without any force. It's just not a smooth click the way that I'm currently downshifting it to 1st at that 4-5 mph speed.
I have been avoiding the clunk by coming to a complete stop to shift or when just barely rolling before I put my foot down.
Hope I'm making sense. Sometimes I'm as clear as mud in explaining things.

What kind of speed are you having problems at?

5? 10? 15? 20? 45?

I would like to smoothly downshift into first gear at a higher rate of speed say 5-10mph
Looks like it is my not matching the revs to the mph with that downshift to 1st.
I have been staying in 2nd at those low speed to avoid the clunk into 1st.
Like I wrote a little earlier the bike never hesitates to get down to 1st gear - I never have to force it.
I obviously need to get better at downshifts into 1st while rolling :)

Yes it sounds like you need to work on matching RPM's to wheel speed. Makes for much smoother shifting and also longer rear tire life.

I do always shift to first when at a stop light. MSF have the bike in first, foot on the rear brake, and an escape plan!

You have to rev it up a bit to get smoothly into first gear from second. It is something you should practice. It isn't really any different than shifting down to any other lower gear, except you have to give it a bit more gas before letting the clutch out. After you practice it a few times, you'll get it smooth. Always a question about which gear to use at lower speeds. Revs don't hurt. Gets the oil circulating.

WalterK75 I have found your statement to be very true. I have been practicing and am getting better at it.
Sometimes I get a smooth downshift going down to 1st from 2nd at around 15-20mph and sometimes I get the clunk.
I will have to pay attention to what rpm gets me the smoothest downshift to 1st.
Thanks again for all of this groups advice!!!! :dance

Back