Thread: Starting Issue

Starting Issue

I was riding with a friend recently and we rode about 90 miles on a 75 degree day and stopped for lunch. After lunch (an hour or so), his bike (a 2004 R1150RT with about 21000 miles) would not start. It would not turn over at all although the headlight came on. The clock zeroed out. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it started. We reset the clock and it kept correct time all the way home. Anyone ever experience this? Any suggestions as to what might have happened?

Thanks.

Jim

Check the battery connections first. A loose/corroded one will exhibit that fault.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Check the battery connections first. A loose/corroded one will exhibit that fault.
    That's a good place to start but don't stop there. Check your grounds, thoroughly and then pull all the fuses and relays and re-insert.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by 217don View Post
    I was riding with a friend recently and we rode about 90 miles on a 75 degree day and stopped for lunch. After lunch (an hour or so), his bike (a 2004 R1150RT with about 21000 miles) would not start. It would not turn over at all although the headlight came on. The clock zeroed out. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it started. We reset the clock and it kept correct time all the way home. Anyone ever experience this? Any suggestions as to what might have happened?

Thanks.

Jim
    Your lights lit brightly, but the starter brought the battery to its knees. Then everything worked. It happened to me too.

It seems most likely to me that he has a problem with the starter. There are a couple ways that Oilhead starters draw excessive currents: the planetary gear cover inside the starter drops onto the armature; or magnets break loose inside the starter and jam the armature. In both cases you get the symptoms you experienced.

By all means follow the earlier good advice but also disassemble the starter and check it out.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....use-of-Failure

Thanks

Thanks for the advice; I'll pass it on.

Jim

The SNAKE 421. Bristol, Southwest Virginia
    Seen that myself. I cleaned it all up, straightened the center plate, and epoxied it in place before assembly.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    04 R1150RT
    09 R1200GS
    Homemade trailer for behind Both.