Thread: Another final drive question

Another final drive question

Last year I purchased a '98 BMW R1100RTP, and have been enjoying riding it, as well as getting familiar with its maintenance requirements. So far I'm very satisfied with the bike, it's great for all weather highway riding! I travel 55 miles each way to work, 7 days a week in summer, and it sure beats doing the same in a car...

With respect to maintenance, I think I understand that allowable play in the large rear wheel crown bearing is "0". Mine however has .015" play when measured between the brake disk and the FD air vent. What's interesting is that I've ridden the bike for over 21,000 km (aprx 13,000 miles) and it does not seem to be getting worse. The FD drain plug had some of what appeared to be magnetic sludge (which people report as normal) but no loose chunks or metal flakes.

My question is wether this free play indicates an FD failure waiting to happen, or wether I can wait for this winter to have the FD checked and re-done. I'm hoping the bearing was incorrectly pre-loaded.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Francois

Is it the FD or the pivot bearings?
    To confirm have someone step on the rear brake and observe if play has disappeared.
    If it has not, this points to worn/mis adjusted pivot bearings

If FD play is confirmed, drain it and inspect the magnet on the drain plug.

If there is black fluff on it all is good. I would keep riding and monitoring play to see if if gets worse (probably will not)

If there are silver flakes, that is an indication of impending failure.

Another check to make is:
    Bike on centerstand in neutral
    Brake pads pushed back so the don't touch the disc
    Turn the wheel at a constant rate and listen - a whirring sound is normal, a low grumble is not.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

You have a floating brake rotor & a fixed brake caliper. The rotor is supposed to move side to side & front to back a little.
    Dave Selvig
    2008 Black LT
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    You have a floating brake rotor & a fixed brake caliper. The rotor is supposed to move side to side & front to back a little.
    The front rotors float. The rear is fixed.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Similar question

Mine is a 98 R1100RT. Late winter I noticed a small amount of side play in rear wheel. I drained final drive oil, found sludge, no metal. After 1000 miles, I have drained oil again, no metal noticed. I use 85W-90 oil. Should I be concerned about failure, or keep riding and watching? What happens if final drive fails while riding at interstate speed? Will tire lock up, or will I have other ways of knowing the problem?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 119905 View Post
    Mine is a 98 R1100RT. Late winter I noticed a small amount of side play in rear wheel. I drained final drive oil, found sludge, no metal. After 1000 miles, I have drained oil again, no metal noticed. I use 85W-90 oil. Should I be concerned about failure, or keep riding and watching? What happens if final drive fails while riding at interstate speed? Will tire lock up, or will I have other ways of knowing the problem?
    See Post #2 and proceed as necessary. As GSAddict says, monitor play to see if it gets worse.