Thread: rear brake on 1984 R80RT

rear brake on 1984 R80RT

I have purchased a 1984 R80RT with only 13000 miles. The front brake works as it should but the rear brake does not slow the bike down, even at slow speeds. The brake pedal does work but has little effect even when pressed hard.

Any ideas of what could be wrong???

Rear drum, right? One of the things you should look at is that the brake rod and bell crank that it attaches to are at a 90 degree angle when the shoe makes contact with the drum.

Have you had the wheel off to see what shape the shoes are in? It's possible that the material is nearly gone or that you have some kind of leak back there and brake final drive fluid has oiled the shoes. Take a look back there and see what it looks like.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1995gs View Post
    I have purchased a 1984 R80RT with only 13000 miles. The front brake works as it should but the rear brake does not slow the bike down, even at slow speeds. The brake pedal does work but has little effect even when pressed hard.

Any ideas of what could be wrong???
    Pull the rear wheel and I'm guessing you'll see the drum and shoes soaked in fluid. Common problem with rear drums...there are either 2 or 4 O rings on the brake shaft that wear out. Then the rear drive fluid has a path into the brake area.

If all wet, take the shoes off, the outside brake lever off (note orientation), and push the brake shaft out. There are 2 sizes of O rings so take your to the dealer so you get the correct size. Sometimes you can clean the fluid off the shoes if you think they're salvageable and have a lot of life left...otherwise get a new set.

Clean everything up and reassemble.

Don't forget the fuzzy washer (felt).
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/