Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again

How much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again

I've looked all over the BMWMOA site and was unable to answer my own question so if this is posted elsewhere on this site, I apologize. I have know idea how the BMW Rally Site is selected from year-to-year but the last east coast rally I attended was in Bloomsburg, PA back in 2011. I enjoyed the rally very much and would love to attend another but can't take the time off needed to go too far west. My question is how much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again?
    2005 R1200GS & 2010 K1300GT
    Finger Lakes BMW Club Member

They said it'll be in the east in 2016. Unknown where, but I'll go out on a limb and guess Vermont.

Here is the latest on the rally and selection process:

http://bmwmoa.org/TheRally/ArtMID/31...n-Process.aspx
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks for the help ClassicVW & 20774.
    2005 R1200GS & 2010 K1300GT
    Finger Lakes BMW Club Member

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    They said it'll be in the east in 2016. Unknown where, but I'll go out on a limb and guess Vermont.
    I suspect that you are right. Having the rally in the northeast tip of the country makes it convenient for the members in the northeast but it presents distance and/or traffic challenges for the majority of the membership. Besides the distance concerns, many of us choose to not challenge the New York and some other northeastern traffic in July on a motorcycle.

Also, regarding the basic requirements for a rally site, have they changed a lot over the last few years? I have only been to four or five MOA rallys but I don't think any of them met the current requirements. To meet all of the requirements, I think the locations will have to be near large population centers.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I'm only guessing Vermont for two reasons. The fact that there was a successful rally there years ago, and also because of the complaints about oppressive heat at a couple of the previous rallies. If I was picking the rally site I might shy away from the South in late July, at least for a couple of years. That said, there was pleasant weather this year, but it was in the North after all.

I can understand your desire to avoid the NYC area due to traffic concerns, but if you follow a more westerly route north, it may increase your travel time a bit to Vermont, but you can avoid a great deal of traffic while staying in beautiful scenery. NY State is quite different from the D.C.- Phily -NYC - Boston corridor we all think of.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I agree with ClassicVW. When folks think of NY they think of NY City. Reality is that other than NYC and a few other major urban centers, New York has a lot of delightful rural riding.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I'm only guessing Vermont for two reasons. The fact that there was a successful rally there years ago, and also because of the complaints about oppressive heat at a couple of the previous rallies. If I was picking the rally site I might shy away from the South in late July, at least for a couple of years. That said, there was pleasant weather this year, but it was in the North after all.
    I think the temperature in July is more dependent on altitude than latitude. The temperature at the Johnson City, TN rally was comfortable while the temperature at Bloomsburg, PA was miserable (I know the weather was unseasonable). The temperature right now in the mountains of Virginia in late afternoon is 71 degrees. In the south, once you get out of the mountains of VA, NC, TN and GA, most of it is at low altitude. The BMW RA have had rallys in NC, AL and other southern venues by having their rallys in late May/early June or late September/early October. It worked out well in some years and not so well in others. That won't work for the MOA as the rally is going be in mid to late July.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    New York has a lot of delightful rural riding.
    word

ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Here is the latest on the rally and selection process:

http://bmwmoa.org/TheRally/ArtMID/31...n-Process.aspx
    So this rotation was started after a midwest location in 2012. The zone 1 location was in the far North West, the zone 3 location this year was in the far North west of the zone, and the zone 2 location for next year will be in the far North West of the zone. I see a pattern here (said with high sarcasm).
    "Not all who wander are lost"

2018 R1200GS
    2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    word

I agree, beautiful riding areas in New York.

I would like to see another Canadian Rally...........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Jeff Wilson life member Justscootin's Avatar
    Forget about when is it coming back to the east, when is it coming back to Canada?
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire3006 View Post
    I've looked all over the BMWMOA site and was unable to answer my own question so if this is posted elsewhere on this site, I apologize. I have know idea how the BMW Rally Site is selected from year-to-year but the last east coast rally I attended was in Bloomsburg, PA back in 2011. I enjoyed the rally very much and would love to attend another but can't take the time off needed to go too far west. My question is how much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again?
    At one point on the way-back machine ride...........the Rally was held at the York Fair grounds. 1986 or 87, as I recall.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I agree with ClassicVW. When folks think of NY they think of NY City. Reality is that other than NYC and a few other major urban centers, New York has a lot of delightful rural riding.
    I've done much of New York and surrounding states. What you refer to as rural is still burdened by more traffic than I would prefer to deal with. I was raised on the east coast and was assigned in the east multiple times while in the Army. In my opinion the east has become an undesirable place to ride. There are still some great places to ride, but getting between them is not much fun. I realize that fairness and finances dictate that rallies be held in the east, but it will be unlikely that I would attend. There is no place that will please us all.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

One of my favorite nationals was the Reinbeck Rally in 99.. As an added bonus they had a special show for us at the Old Reinbeck Airdrome... I have rode thru most of New York state, and it has some of the best riding areas in the country.. Also I do not think we need to be at a State fairgrounds.. Some of the best ones in the past were at county fairgrounds... Like the York Rally in 89...