• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Factory Lowered F700GS?

Anybody here have one, if so, I have a few questions.

I have the F650GS twin, and it came from the factory lowered.

I rode it that way for about 3 years then raised it to standard.

Not sure what questions you have but i would be glade to try and answer them.

Thanks

I was wondering;

- How was the ride?

- Were there any difficulties with bottoming out or cornering?

- Was it fitted with a center stand? (I understand these don't come with one but there are after market options)

..............and last, why did you raise it to std. height?

My reason for asking is that my wife is 5' - 6" and likes her 2012 F650GS but is considering a lowered F700GS. Her riding is 100% pavement, except the odd gravel driveway or the odd country dinner that has a gravel parking lot ;)

I traded in my R1200R on a 2014 F700GS with the lowered suspension. Due to age related health issues I decided a small and lighter bike was needed if I were to keep riding, especially double.

I added the SW Motech center stand, followed by their crash bars. The bike is a bit of chore to put on the center stand, I take the left bag off and use that to help lift it. At 155 pounds and a bit weak, it sometimes takes a real effort to do it.

My bike came with the BMW Comfort seat too, which I found not too bad. That said, after a couple of hours I got tired of sitting close to the "tank" so I removed it (now sold) and added a Corbin seat.

I am 6' tall and my weight is about 155 with a 30-31 inch inseam. I can easily flat foot the bike, and my wife can get on easier than she could on the R1200R (2012). Her weight is about 135, and with our bags full, I have to crank the rear shock up to full (18 turns clockwise) to get a nice ride, any more weight and the bike would bottom out on more rough roads. This is the only negative I have had with the bike. It is ok, but i do wish I could carry a bit more. When I ride solo I set the rear shock on 8 turns clockwise and it is fine.

The bike cruises well at speeds up to 80mph, it is running at just a bit over 4K at 70. I have had it up past 100 to see what it will do, it is ok there, but feels a bit loose at that speed. It seems to be blown around on the highway a bit more too at cruising speeds, but it is lighter. At 4K RPM there is a bit of engine vibration, but so little it is soon forgotten. It is not a freeway cruiser, R bikes are better at that, but on the back roads it is a dream. The tires hold well in all the conditions I have encountered, a bit of gravel, regular payment, and two really hard rain storms. I was surprised how well they perform, and they even seem to be lasting forever. I bet they will go easily 10 to 12K before I replace them.

All of that said, I love the bike. I wish I had gotten it earlier, it is one of the most enjoyable bikes I have ever had over the 48 years I have been riding, and I have had a bunch of bikes. I think you deserve a test ride.

Wayne

Thanks

I traded a 2010 Victory Vision 8 Ball for my new 2013 F700GS in Oct. 2013 and never looked back; I would throw rocks at anyone who tried to bring the Vic. back ;)

At 6' - 3" and mid 200 lb's, the standard F700GS works well for me. We each ride our own bikes so two up is not part of the consideration for us.

My wife is a very experienced rider, she is looking to trade both her 2012 F650GS twin and a 2009 Victory Vision Tour in on a new R1200RT but she is looking at the a new, lowered F700GS as an alternative, because she likes the F650GS.

The answers we are getting here are quite helpful. :)

I have a 2010 F650GS with lowered suspension. I got this as I like, most do not ride in the whoops and jumps, so have no need for the extra long suspension of the 800GS. This suspension travel is still longer that standard or sport bikes.

What I did learn is the BMW put soft/ low rate springs on this bike. Evan cranking the dampening up I still bottomed in hard corners at speed. (which I like to do). I'm 210 and with travel baggage(junk!!) 50-70lbs including the weight of the aluminum panniers for your info.

I could have just bought a higher rate spring....but I went full boat and got a Wilber's fancy high and low speed dampening shock ($1k). It took me about a month to fiddle with its adjustment to get it right. 30K miles later and I'm loving it. I also put Intimadators in the front forks. Well worth it too. I just put them in Triumph I have. Made a huge difference in the Triumph.

Thanks

I was wondering;

- How was the ride?

- Was it fitted with a center stand? (I understand these don't come with one but there are after market options)

My reason for asking is that my wife is 5' - 6" and likes her 2012 F650GS but is considering a lowered F700GS. Her riding is 100% pavement, except the odd gravel driveway or the odd country dinner that has a gravel parking lot ;)

Hey...

I love the bike, she rides great!

When the bike had a lowered suspension it had no problems on cornering or bottoming out on the street.

I put a standard center stand on the lowered bike, and i have a couple of things to say on that subject. No the center stand did not scrap on the twisties, because the center stand is not the lowest part... also did not think it was hard to put up on the center stand.

Here is a video to prove it.

I raised the bike because i started getting more and more into adventure travel and I wanted more clearance, and more weight capacity.

All my friends have F800's or KTMs or KLRs.... and I started going on more exotic and non paved trips... i keep up just fine on my little sissy girl bike...

I am 5' 5" and with the standard height and low seat i'm tippy toe. Over the years i have gained much more skill and confidence and raising the bike up from flat footing to tippy toe was no big deal.

Just yesterday i sat on my friends standard F800GS with normal seat, and couldn't touch the ground...

anyway...

Take care, and let us know if you have any other questions.

dada?. Thanks for posting the video.

Your bike looks about the same as my F700GS with the lowered suspension. I also have the lower version of center stand from SW Motech. When it is on the center stand I seem to have about the same clearance in the back. This makes me wonder if the SW Motech center stand really is the lowered version. I do not get my bike up on the stand as easy as you do, even putting all my weight on it. Been riding so long I cannot believe that I have missed anything, but I wish I knew how you accomplish it so easily. I do the same thing, center the bike, lower the stand with my right foot, steady the bike with my left hand on the bars, and then at the same time place all my weight on the center stand tang while lifting with my right hand. Even with the bags off, it takes a bit of effort.

Wayne

Thanks

I was wondering;

- How was the ride?

My first post here.

I purchased one (lowered F700GS) in April/2014. Have over 1100 miles on it. I am 5'7". I originally purchased a used G650Xcountry and loved it but the height was a problem for me, so much so I didn't do hardly any off road. I then purchased the lowered F700GS. I would, of course, like the un-lowered version because I do ride mine off road. And the skid plate was a perfect addition to the bike (along with other farkles). I will tell you that I do probably hit the skid plate more than someone who has an un-lowered bike. Since that won't be a problem for your wife there is nothing for you to worry about. Handling is great. I have never bottomed it out except off road. There are companies that do make a center stand, after market but I haven't gotten it yet. I personally think it rides great. Because it is lowered I have been able to control it particularly off road with much more ease. I know that there were many times that I would have dumped the 650 in spots that I was able to save the 700 even though the 700 is a heavier bike. Knock on wood, I haven't dumped it yet. For me, while I would like the extra ground clearance off road, I really made the right decision in getting the lowered version. I love this bike.

Keith

Bought a Low suspension Low seat 2014 F700GS for my 5'4" wife.

Installed SW-Motech centerstand. No clearance or bottoming issues with 4 turns (just to be safe) preload.

She REALLY likes the bike. She appreciates the lighter and lower weight compared to her drastically lowered K75S.

The Low Seat is way more comfortable than the standard seat.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Back