Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TPS Alignment, Idle Speed Adjustment: Beyond Zero=Zero

Another odd thing comes to mind, particular to my bike and peculiar to others.

I have no explanation but, when my oil level is above the half way mark in my sight glass, I get an odd buzz at speed. There is no rhyme or reason that I can think of but other Oilheads that my buddies own report the same things.

The other thing, I had a fantastic summer, bike ran perfect until I got into it one day. Grabbed all the throttle I could, took off nice then I got the vibes. Nothing I did made it go away.

Since my babe was do for some serious TLC, I pulled the driveshaft. Out of phase almost 30 degrees and 1/2" longer than it should be. I spun the hub.

If you look at the whole picture, start at the basics, a snap shot of a spreadsheet is just that, a snap shot.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

ďThe major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.Ē

Thanks for the extra info. I'd like to tinker with it more if I didn't have to pull all that plastic every time! Next time open I think I'll try cleaning fuel injectors and replace the cam chain tensioner. Probably due by now (80K)...

I'll think I'll go easy on the throttle after hearing about that driveshaft.

Also, I'm getting chills just sitting here thinking about going 4000 RPM in Manitoba!!

Pat

Data point. I just bought an unbelievably well taken care of R1100RS. The prev owner did say he had done the Lentini zero = zero. I found voltages at idle and closed throttle plate that confirm that.
    I did the procedure outlined in this thread and it seems to work well. The BBS are at about 2.5 turns to achieve good balance at 1100 RPM. Maybe it is noted elsewhere but it only took about 3/4 turn of the throttle stop screw to go from 250mv to 342mv. The right was easy to match to the left by also setting at 3/4 and then balancing with ATF sticks with BBS equal. Little tweaks of the BBS resulted in seemingly perfect idle.

Has anyone else seen such a small amount of screw movement required to move from 250 to 340?

Will finish off idle synch, ride and report more later.

So grateful for this resource!
    1999 R1100RS after 150 or so other motorcycles including a handful of oilheads and about 30 airheads. When you're old and you go through about 3 bikes a year it adds up quick.

Ahhhhhhhh. Now I see the "just over 1/2 turn" in the Jim H post. Mine was also just over 1/2 turn to get that additional 100mv.

Maybe I should ask this question someplace else. This bike had been running with the Dobeck active. I deactivated it to set the idle as above. Did the motronic likely change its mapping based on the additional fuel the dobeck was adding? If so how long will it take to adjust to no dobeck? I'd like to see how the bike runs with no fuel assistance with the throttle plate where it is now.

MAN I forgot how fussy these are to get the cables in synch.
    Last edited by rkjjeep; 05-11-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    1999 R1100RS after 150 or so other motorcycles including a handful of oilheads and about 30 airheads. When you're old and you go through about 3 bikes a year it adds up quick.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rkjjeep View Post
    Ahhhhhhhh. Now I see the "just over 1/2 turn" in the Jim H post. Mine was also just over 1/2 turn to get that additional 100mv.

Maybe I should ask this question someplace else. This bike had been running with the Dobeck active. I deactivated it to set the idle as above. Did the motronic likely change its mapping based on the additional fuel the dobeck was adding? If so how long will it take to adjust to no dobeck? I'd like to see how the bike runs with no fuel assistance with the throttle plate where it is now.
    Open up the fusebox and pull fuse #5 for ten minutes. This will reset the ECU and the learned fuel trims. The ECU will start learning again with the new setup.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by rkjjeep View Post

MAN I forgot how fussy these are to get the cables in synch.
    There is no learning or map modification with the Dobeck connected. With the O2 disconnected the motor if can’t tell that the dobeck is adding fuel.

In order to learn/adapt you need a proper coding plug and an always connected O2 sensor.
    Last edited by roger 04 rt; 05-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks Roger. When I received the bike it had the Dobeck 1033 that keeps the O2 sensor connected. Now I have reset the idle TB angle and the TPS to your recommendations and increased the cruise pot to (supposedly)deactivate the Dobeck. Went for a decent ride this morning. Great start, good cold and hot idle, great transitions when asking for more power. On an absolutely steady state light throttle it is obvious that the bike is trying to maintain forward motion as efficiently as possible. Feels lean in those situations but not quite a surge. I also noticed that set up like this the throttle is WAY less jerky snatchy off idle. Way better.
    I could find no buzz, vibration or roughness anywhere. Runs like a bike with a closed loop fuel system trying to save fuel and meet emissions regulations, but silky smooth. When the XIED comes back in stock I will install and note the difference. I am not wild about the fact that the 1033 prevents closed loop. I like the stock closed loopedness and would just like to see what a little more fuel will do. Thanks.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    A little more fuel on an oilhead is what puts a really big on your face when the bike finally stops surging.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Seems to be a lot more (almost too much) engine braking at closed throttle now. Still a good trade off for the other issues.

As stated in another thread I am really likng the AF-XIED. QUESTION: If the motronic is learning new fuel trims with the XIED installed does that all go away when we disconnect battery or pull fuse 5 for a bit? Thanks

I'll call beemer boneyard monday but I also have a question about the led patterns on the "gen 5" unit. I get the red light CONSTANT, the yellow flashes 7 times to confirm setting, and the green is on most of the time (occasional yellow). That's not quite what the new instructions say. Anybody else have a gen 5?

When you disconnect the battery or pull fuse 5, for more than 5 minutes, the adaptives are cleared then after you relearn the TPS, the Motronic starts rebuilding them.

Your light pattern sounds normal. Red means power is connected. Greener is richer and yellower is leaner. I donít pay much attention to those LEDs.

So I did the beyond zero zero and overall, the bike runs much better. Little to no surge. Much less pinging at heavy throttle settings. BUT! Idle is low, as in around 900 RPM once fully warmed up. Any way to get the idle up?

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dennyd View Post
    So I did the beyond zero zero and overall, the bike runs much better. Little to no surge. Much less pinging at heavy throttle settings. BUT! Idle is low, as in around 900 RPM once fully warmed up. Any way to get the idle up?

Denny
    If you followed BMWs procedure here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...=1#post1091142

The idle (when the bike is fully warmed up) is set to 1100 rpm by adjusting the BBS screws on the TB (see step 2). Did you skip some of the steps?

Iím going through it again right now but I reach a point where the BBSís donít have any more authority on raising the throttle/lowering vacuum. The previous owner complained about this and itís been a condition Iíve had since Iíve owned it.

https://www.facebook.com/779414374/p...829375?sfns=mo

If you click on the above link I have a video clip of my bike idling as well as a pic after a 5 minute spirited ride. The idle, once warm, is smooth but still a little low with the BBS turned out 4 1/2 turns. Any further has no effect. While it may be Ďgood enoughí Iíd really like to get this to where it should be.

Other wise bike runs GREAT, seldom surges lightly at partial throttle, great power and great response to throttle inputs. Just this low idle is so frustrating!

Thank you Roger for all you do for our community!