• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TPS Alignment, Idle Speed Adjustment: Beyond Zero=Zero

When you disconnect the battery or pull fuse 5, for more than 5 minutes, the adaptives are cleared then after you relearn the TPS, the Motronic starts rebuilding them.

Your light pattern sounds normal. Red means power is connected. Greener is richer and yellower is leaner. I don’t pay much attention to those LEDs.

So I did the beyond zero zero and overall, the bike runs much better. Little to no surge. Much less pinging at heavy throttle settings. BUT! Idle is low, as in around 900 RPM once fully warmed up. Any way to get the idle up?

Denny

So I did the beyond zero zero and overall, the bike runs much better. Little to no surge. Much less pinging at heavy throttle settings. BUT! Idle is low, as in around 900 RPM once fully warmed up. Any way to get the idle up?

Denny

If you followed BMWs procedure here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...nd-Zero-Zero&p=1091142&viewfull=1#post1091142

The idle (when the bike is fully warmed up) is set to 1100 rpm by adjusting the BBS screws on the TB (see step 2). Did you skip some of the steps?

I’m going through it again right now but I reach a point where the BBS’s don’t have any more authority on raising the throttle/lowering vacuum. The previous owner complained about this and it’s been a condition I’ve had since I’ve owned it.

If you click on the above link I have a video clip of my bike idling as well as a pic after a 5 minute spirited ride. The idle, once warm, is smooth but still a little low with the BBS turned out 4 1/2 turns. Any further has no effect. While it may be ‘good enough’ I’d really like to get this to where it should be.

Other wise bike runs GREAT, seldom surges lightly at partial throttle, great power and great response to throttle inputs. Just this low idle is so frustrating!

Thank you Roger for all you do for our community!

Denny,

That means one of two things: either, you need to carefully clean the TBs and BBS ports, or if you’re positive that the ports are fully cleaned and unobstructed, perform step 1.5 of the above linked procedure.

Roger

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I went back and re-did everything step by step and idle is now at 1100-ish and I’m very happy. I usually ride to work so I’ll see how she runs tomorrow. Thanks for all the efforts you have put into making our Oilheads continue to run well!

Denny

Nicely done Denny!
Because the Motronic measures the TPS angle in tenths of a degree, your precision is rewarded. You’ve now adjusted your TPS and TB such that they are aligned to the expectations of the Motronic. You’ll have better idle and better starting.

Tps

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I went back and re-did everything step by step and idle is now at 1100-ish and I’m very happy. I usually ride to work so I’ll see how she runs tomorrow. Thanks for all the efforts you have put into making our Oilheads continue to run well!

Denny

Many of us Oilhead riders owe a deep gratitude to Roger and his meticulous research.

RPGR90s

Many of us Oilhead riders owe a deep gratitude to Roger and his meticulous research.

RPGR90s

Besides Roger, there are a few others who contribute hugely to the betterment of both our bikes and this forum. I hesitate to name names for fear of leaving someone out. You know who you are. I will, however, include Happy Wanderer in this esteemed list.

TPS alignment works!

The value of this web site and the dedicated people who explain and details on how these machines can work! I purchased a R1150RT in July of 2018. I never had any problems with the TPS on the K bikes that I rode...

First I needed the gs-911... I had retired last September... but the City that I was working Seasonally for offered a part time position... First check I ordered the Scan Tool.

And I kept reading this topic, re reading... so finally this past Saturday I followed the instructions. And now the 1150RT idles at 1100 Rpms! :dance

thanks to all who add their input on these machines!

Tim Lindstrom
Columbia Heights, MN
03 BMW K1200RS and 04 BMW R1150RT

Back