• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hammocks

Hennessy hammock user here. They are great once you learn how to hang them properly and lay in them properly. Very comfy.

+1 on the Hennessy Hammock...but -

1. Since most of us motorcycle camp in public campgrounds, be aware that quite a few take a very dim view (unjustified IMHO) of hanging hammocks from their trees.
2. To properly hang a Hennessey (or any of the other models) you need two sturdy trees - at least 6" diameter - at approx 14' apart. Easy to do in the deep woods, harder to do in campgrounds within the confines of your alloted space.
3. As you venture out West or to the Far North of Yukon, NWT and Alaska there are just few trees to the proper species and diameter to be found.

Having said all of this I love my HH, just don't use it for motorcycle camping.

hammock

Check out the Hennessy Hammock thread on ADV, "Gear" forum when you have a couple days to read the posts there:thumb

I've used the hennessey and it's compact and low impact.I can almost get a decent nights sleep out of it after thrashing around like in a cocoon, i"m sure it looks funny and I'm 6'3" but it does work and I don't need a lot of sleep especially when camping.

I have a Grand Trunk double-wide hammock, and love it. Today's hammocks come with all manner of tops, flys, skeeter nets, and stuff to make them the ultimate full service camping accessory. Get your wallet out tho- these babies aren't cheap.

PS, I mainly use my hammock at work! :groovy

Never used mine for actual camping.

I have an ENO Double Nest and I love it compared to my tent. I don't wake up nearly as stiff as sleeping on the ground. With the help of my son the Boy Scout, I have it outfitted with rainfly, bug net and ground tarp. As mentioned, it can be difficult in "established" campgrounds, but in the woods where there are plenty of trees, it works out well.

Hennessy

I've used Hennessy Hammocks for the last 7 years; havent tried other brands but I can vouch for these.
(+);
-back sleepers
-warm weather, above 55-60F
-minimalist, about 1/3 packed size of a small tent
-dry in heavy rain when set up right
-very quick setup and takedown, and your stuff stays dry
-very low impact if you use tree straps
-comfortable night in terrible terrain, as long as you have trees

(-):
-you must have good trees
-not good for belly or side sleepers
-can be very cold below high-50's, you will need a closed cell foam or insulating air pad under you
-can take a few nights and lots of thrashing to get used to, some people never do
-antisocial, no card games in the tent with friends, and you wont be gettin' lucky either
-no storage for gear
-longer learning curve to get the setup right, especially for rain or cold

When we bring hammocks, we usually bring a fly for cooking/sitting/eating/hanging out in the campsite. Traveling alone in minimalist mode, and when time and space are a real premium, the hammocks are great. I've slept very dry and snug in horrible weather in the hammock--but there are horror stories, too, from people who do not know how to set them up for rain.

I like the hammock for solo camping. I think I will be getting a larger Pares hammock and a larger air pad.
Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 255
Back