• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 k1200gt zumo 550 mount

ghyber

Just purchased the subject bike and need advice on a GPS mount for my Zumo 550. I have looked around a bit but prefer not to drill any holes . I have a look at the ZTechnic but I am worried it will be in the way of the key. Ideally, I prefer it in the center at the handle bar height.

I am open to all ideas, suggestions and comments.

Thanks

Gas

The mounting bracket for the BMW navigator should be available separately and mounts in the center of the bars replacing the plastic cover for the adjusting bolts. I looked at getting one for my GT, but just opted to build one myself. As I recall, the BMW part was about $25-30.

GT Zumo Mount

I have the same motorcycle and the same GPS. At first I installed the SW Motec from Twisted Throttle. I just checked and they seem to have changed the product to fit more modern GPS's but mine came with a base plate to which I mounted a RAM ball. Having said that, I did not like it. Too far away from the grips to quickly push buttons and tends to block other instrumentation. I prefer a mount closer to my left hand for quick access. RAM also makes a ball mount that screws onto the clutch reservoir so be glad you didn't go for the K13GT since they are different. I use a short arm to connect from the ball to the Zumo mount.

BMW GPS mounting bracket

The mounting bracket for the BMW navigator should be available separately and mounts in the center of the bars replacing the plastic cover for the adjusting bolts. I looked at getting one for my GT, but just opted to build one myself. As I recall, the BMW part was about $25-30.

Can anyone post a picture of their Zumo 550 with the BMW mount.

I am thinking of going with the above route and using a CAN-bus connector so that the GPS unit shuts down 60 seconds after I turn off the ignition. If my memory serves me right, that is the setup I had with my R1200RT 2007 OR 2008. I had a GPS mount from Migsel.

I have a Garmin Nuvi mounted using rammount components. A rammount ball post with M8 bolts replaces one of the handlebar mounting bolts. A rammount arm is attached then the rammount cradle for my GPS. I'm sure they make a cradle for the Zumo. Doesn't interfere with instruments or controls. It's a pretty clean install.

DSCF6632.jpg
DSCF6631.jpg

Bmw gps mount

As recommended by MCM, I have purchased the BMW GPS mount for my Zumo 550. I also purchased the Can-bus connection wire so the GPS can be switched off via the ignition switch.

I will post pictures of the install shortly.

As recommended by MCM, I have purchased the BMW GPS mount for my Zumo 550. I also purchased the Can-bus connection wire so the GPS can be switched off via the ignition switch.

I will post pictures of the install shortly.

Did you ever get any pics? I also have this bike and want to mount a gps

Did you ever get any pics? I also have this bike and want to mount a gps

If your interested, I have the stock BMW mount for a K1200GT / K1300GT. I also have the wiring cable to hook into the bike's 'hidden' GPS power outlet.
I' m having trouble locating an old thread on the subject, but PM me for more info. Won't be too pricey!

Need the BMW mount

Does anyone have any idea what the part number for the BMW mount is? When I look at the micro fiche , I can't find anything that looks like this

I have a zumo 550 on my GT using the stock mount. I have a small tank bag that mounts on the fuel filler ring and don't have any problem with it. It seems to work well.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Zumo 550 Mount 2008 K1200GT

I built a mount with the following components:

Short rubber with stem mount(purchased from , Ram ball 1/4" female mount,
a short Ram arm "B" series and a "B" ball mounted on the back of the 550. I have used this mount for about 50K miles. I like the rubber stem mount to take the shock away from the heavy 550. I have added a photo that show the mount's position on the handle bar.

Attachments

• Z550Mount.jpg
    Z550Mount.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 66
Back