• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cascade Country Rendezvous in Washington via Oregon. Wildfires?

muddyspokes

Muddyspokes
Washington Wildfires concern.

Destination Sandpoint ID...doing our final pack and bike check before heading north to Sandpoint, ID and Jasper Canada. We had planned to stop at the Cascade Country Rendezvous in Republic Washington. We have growing concern regarding the wildfires that are threatening Central Washington and are considering any alternate routes to avoid smoke to Republic WA. from Northern California....Or do we just bypass the CCR altogether. route our trip further east?
Are there any clear areas heading north throught Washington?

Tx Muddyspokes

Last edited:
It has been varying from very smokey to mildly smokey in western MT for the past few days. Air quality is rated as hazardous in many western locations and is considered hazardous to at risk people in our area (Helena). You may be able to get a decent view of the smoke plume on one of the weather sites if you switch to satellite view instead of radar. Our local weather is saying the winds will become more from the NW in the next two days which should give us some relief and shift the smoke more towards southern ID, WY and perhaps UT.

I understand your concern...former wild land firefighter...these big fires have a mind of their own.

Not sure of your intended route to Republic from an un-named Nor Cal departure point. Looking at tonight's national fire incident report, notice quite a few incidents in Central Oregon that might also cause some smokey conditions in your path. Nothing in Oregon that's quite the size of our conflagrations in the Evergreen State.

Sort of guessing on an intended route, but I might suggest 97 through Oregon, then east at the Columbia to link up with US395 north, then north until you can connect up with WA SR 21 which will bring you into Republic by avoiding the intense fire zone north of Wenatchee.

Check on road situation by Internet before heading up SR 21, if situation is tenuous you can just keep going north on 395.

Good luck!

I understand your concern...former wild land firefighter...these big fires have a mind of their own.

Not sure of your intended route to Republic from an un-named Nor Cal departure point. Looking at tonight's national fire incident report, notice quite a few incidents in Central Oregon that might also cause some smokey conditions in your path. Nothing in Oregon that's quite the size of our conflagrations in the Evergreen State.

Sort of guessing on an intended route, but I might suggest 97 through Oregon, then east at the Columbia to link up with US395 north, then north until you can connect up with WA SR 21 which will bring you into Republic by avoiding the intense fire zone north of Wenatchee.

Check on road situation by Internet before heading up SR 21, if situation is tenuous you can just keep going north on 395.

Good luck!

Good information.
I've been checking the fire maps-
The plan was to enter Oregon travel north just east of the Cascades via 97. Starting from Bay area, Quincy, Burney Falls, Klamouth, Bend, Madras, The Dalles-97 north to Republic-where my concern is. Going aast and north at the Cloumbia not be a problem...and coming back west via 21 to Republic.
Can you tell me if there is a point north where skys clear up? I understand it is "as the wind blows". Our final destination is Banff.
I thought we were the only ones staving for water here in California?

It has been varying from very smokey to mildly smokey in western MT for the past few days. Air quality is rated as hazardous in many western locations and is considered hazardous to at risk people in our area (Helena). You may be able to get a decent view of the smoke plume on one of the weather sites if you switch to satellite view instead of radar. Our local weather is saying the winds will become more from the NW in the next two days which should give us some relief and shift the smoke more towards southern ID, WY and perhaps UT.

Any chance its clear above Helena? Like in the Whitefish and Kalispell area? Sandpoint ID and Whitefish were two of our stops.

Any chance its clear above Helena? Like in the Whitefish and Kalispell area? Sandpoint ID and Whitefish were two of our stops.

This site provides the dailey Montana Air Quality update( [http://www.deq.mt.gov/FireUpdates/default.mcpx
); click on the small icon of the state and it will show a map with AQ ratings for locations around the state. Looking pretty good for western MT at the moment and our skies are nearly clear here in Helena.

Looking at current satellite images (earth observatory.nasa.gov) looks as though you might be riding through some smoky areas north of Bend, if you were traveling today. The smoke from the conflagration in the Chelan - Methow region appears to be mostly staying in that region, without a lot of noticeable drift towards Republic. Spokane to Sand Point looks to be a bit hazy...

Love to be riding that country you're heading for, though I might consider a route up through Burns, John Day, and Pendleton. Used to live in N Nevada and traveled frequently through Oregon. Got really tired of that 97 route. Lakeview to Burns is pretty desolate, but north of there it's pretty nice.

Good luck on your ride! :groovy

I like the fire maps at ESRI.com, public information maps. Seem to be more friendly towards my iPad.

And, just found a source through Dept of Ecology, wasmoke.blogspot.com. A good narrative about expectations this week for fire smoke...

Last edited:
Perfect Bill....bikes are packed..we are checking maps and sites and will continue to do so going north...
If you can beleive it-it rained in the Bay Area today ???

Back