• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

28L Top Case Disassembly Help - To Remove Lock Cylinder

remove 28L key?

Ah, the old tutorial on how to do this is down. It's really pretty simple though and you don't have to disassemble the case. You need to open up the little button thingy that sits above the lock cylinder (highlighted in red):

View attachment 45950

From there, the trick is to tape a straightened paperclip to the end of a screw driver, and then bend the end into an L-shape. This you will put down that little hole to press in the pin that retains the lock cylinder in its hole. You can shine a small flashlight down there to see where it sits. You will also need a key or something in the lock barrel to help pull it out. I think it needs to be in the unlocked position for this to work, but it may need to be moved to the locked position.

In that case, try different keys until you find one that works (sometimes a BMW dealership has extra keys lying around for this). Out of three keys I found one that worked on mine which allowed me to remove the cylinder and re-key it to my key.

I have removed the cap and shined a light down. I don't see the lock, but I do see a little hole. I made the tool u suggested, but can't seem to find anything for it to push or pull on. :(

Back