Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 28L Top Case Disassembly Help - To Remove Lock Cylinder

tumblers

Hey -

Silly question perhaps - but doesn't hurt to ask.

I have a used 28L topcase I bought, came with the key. I want to rekey it to match my ignition key.

Local BMW dealership said it can't be rekeyed (coded to VIN) - NOT!

BUT - when I look at the key that came with it versus my bike key - will I have the correct number of "1,2, or 3" tumblers to make the rekeying work? Looking at the kits that you can buy, they come with more tumblers than needed - is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks!

Kevin

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cciekevin View Post
    Hey -

Silly question perhaps - but doesn't hurt to ask.

I have a used 28L topcase I bought, came with the key. I want to rekey it to match my ignition key.

Local BMW dealership said it can't be rekeyed (coded to VIN) - NOT!

BUT - when I look at the key that came with it versus my bike key - will I have the correct number of "1,2, or 3" tumblers to make the rekeying work? Looking at the kits that you can buy, they come with more tumblers than needed - is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks!

Kevin
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm not sure about the re-keying. If you don't get a response in this older thread, I can move this into a thread on it's own.
    You can use the search engine to the "Tag Cloud" for a bit more info. It would be good to know the year and model of your bike to help ID the kind of key you may have.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Talking All good now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm not sure about the re-keying. If you don't get a response in this older thread, I can move this into a thread on it's own.
    You can use the search engine to the "Tag Cloud" for a bit more info. It would be good to know the year and model of your bike to help ID the kind of key you may have.
    Gary
    So after MUCH elbow grease, I now have a my 28L top box keyed to my new 2015 RT key! Some helpful info to share:

1- Watch this video - this guy makes it look SO EASY - pissed me off a little, but make me realize it was possible! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7h...xxfsjpw03c010c)

2- You do not need to disassemble the top case - and doing so doesn't really make things easier

3- When re-keying, if you don't have the correct number of proper "tumblers", you CAN leave them blank and the key will turn.

Good luck!

This is not working for me, I cannot get the lock out of the 28L top case using a paper clip, or a spring steel tool.

Dealer told me on the phone the box has to be disassembled. The little plastic access port on the right side near the lock is not at any angle that would allow access to the lock tumbler.

Also, can a top box without the key be mounted on the bike ??

I don't mind buying a new lock, can I just drill out the old one or should I take it to a locksmith to drill out?
    Last edited by wichitagreg; 08-23-2019 at 10:45 PM.