Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your strangest or funniest interaction with a motorist?

Live it, or live with it
    As my junior-high-aged son and I were returning from a visit to Area 51, we stopped in Las Vegas for gas. As I was kneeling down to check the oil sight glass, my son, in full gear, was standing by the K12LT on the other side. From the next pump island over I heard a couple of young guys, "Look at the bike that kid's riding."
    Motor On '/,

I was on my F800GS commuting to work for a night shift and was stopped in a line of traffic waiting for a light. From the car beside me, a couple young guys are leaning out the windows and praising my bike, asking my questions about what it was, and where had I been on it. They asked me where I was from and where I was headed, then seemed a bit surprised to find out I was merely a local on my way to work. I think they thought I was a Ewan McGregor type character on some round the world adventure (I wish). Still, they asked if they could take a picture of me and my bike and snapped away just as the light changed.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I had a guy come up to me while sitting on my Ducati and ask me "is that the v-twin version"? Why yes, it and every single other Ducati on the market...

Had a guy at the gym a few months ago look at me as I walked into the locker room with full FirstGear suit on and ask "where did you just come from outer space"? And he was serious, he had no idea what I was wearing or why...the helmet in my hands didn't seem to lend a clue either.

Not from North America

The first year I owned a 2003 R1150GS, I decided to ride it to Montana to visit a friend of mine. Taking the scenic route I rode through Yellowstone in a late August snowstorm. With four inches of snow in West Yellowstone I decided not to camp. I found a room and the next morning as I was loading the GS I looked up to see a man and woman staring at me. They both greeted me in perfect German. I did my best to reply with what little I learned in college. Then asked if they spoke English. They laughed and said they thought I was a German on vacation, as the only motorcycles they have see in the states were Harley's. And they didn't think that Americans would ride in this weather. I explained that there really are a group of us who ride BMW's. They said they hadn't seen one in the 23 days they have been in the states. We talked about where we were going and where we had been. I gave them a couple of tips and 20 minutes later I was on my way.
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    '10 F800GS, '04 R1150R
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

I was a block from my office, at a convenience store getting gas on my way home from work. I had on my two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter in that old color they called gray that was actually sort of a pale drab green. The guy at the cash register of middle eastern appearance asked "Are you some kind of paratrooper or something?"

I couldn't help myself. I looked furtively over both shoulders, and whispered to him "Task force delta. We have an operation. Don't tell anybody and don't go outside." I walked out to my bike and rode away.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I pull a Bunkhouse camper with the bike and it's equipped with a swivel hitch. The ball coupling usually gets and stays cocked to one side. I've had a number of well meaning folks tell my trailer hitch/tongue is broken.

My husband (Paul) & I were out for a day run in northern MS and stopped for gas at a small store. There are only two pumps... Paul is in front of me, and we are at the same pump, because we don't pump gas separately. Just shortly after we begin pumping, here comes three straight pipe, obnoxious Harley's, and one of them (who I see is female) wobbles up right behind my bike with her front wheel to the inside of my rear wheel! I nod at her, as they really like to be acknowledged. Of course they have ATGATT including the t-shirt under a thin leather vest, blue jeans, and a beanie helmet. To give you an idea of the combined mentality of this group, one of the three asks his buddy, "what is the difference in the gas with Ethanol and the other?", and his buddy says one has it, the other doesn't". Anyway, I am sorta ticky about "my space" especially regarding my bike, and I just look at her with a bewildered, questioning glance which apparently went right over her beanie. I am starting to wonder if she is trying to "start something" or is she just an idiot. I still can't figure out why she pulled up so close to me when she had the entire rear pump space? The whole time we are pumping our gas, I am wondering how I am going to push my bike to an upright position with her wheel inside mine (I don't put my bike on the CS to fuel, as it has been lowered and is a bit of a pain). So I put on my "sweet face" and ask if I need to move up a little for her? This is NOT what I am thinking, but I'm really trying to be nice. She says, "oh no hun, your just fine" At this point,I am thinking what my chances would be if I pushed her bike over, jumped on mine, took off and waved as I sped off? They say wisdom comes with age, so since I didn't do what I would have 30 years ago, I simply say, "well, HUN, I'm afraid your going to have to move back a little, because I can't push my bike upright until you do." To which she replies "Oh", and finally she backs it up a little. I just ride off shaking my head and glad to be AWAY from them.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

RK Ryder

Missed Breakfast

A few years ago I pulled into a small town around 10:30 for breakfast and parked in front of a restaurant. As I began to read the menu in the window, a couple came up, looked at my license plate and told me not to go in there, but rather, go to the restaurant across the street. They just finished a delicious breakfast there and the special was a deal not to be missed.

Then they proceeded to talk, and talk, what seemed forever, before driving off. I entered the establishment that they had recommended and ordered the breakfast special, only to be told that the special ended at 11:00 a.m., 10 minutes earlier! The regular menu breakfast was good, but certainly not the bargain that couple had been so effusively endorsing.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

RK Ryder

My Super Bike

I once pulled into Springfield MA for gasoline. Before accepting my credit card, the cashier asked to see my driver's license for ID. Upon seeing that I was from Canada, he commented that I must have bought the bike in the US and was returning home with it. When I corrected him and informed him I had ridden the bike from Ontario to Boston and was now returning home, he found that difficult to believe that such a trip could be done on a bike. He locked the store and came to the pump to examine this super bike ('87 K100RT) that travel such distances.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

Ego busted!

I've had my K1600 for a little over a year now, but back when I only had it about 2 months, I pulled up to a stop light in the left turn lane to get on the highway. I notice a car pull up on my right, (2 turn lanes) a quick glance over and I see it is an attractive 20 something woman in a tank top in a low slung sporty car. Not trying to be "the creepy old perv" i turned back to look forward. My ruse for looking again was to check the opposite light and see if it was turning yellow, she was looking at me with a pretty big smile. I'm a happily married man but nothing to look at so my "feeling good" ego was a little pumped up. A little smile back and then all of a sudden, BOOM, her Dad I assume leaned forward from the passenger seat (I didn't see him obviously) and says " Hey, is that the new 6 cylinder I heard about?" I said " uh, Yep, sure is" Luckily the light changed and I sped off. As I recounted my tale to my wife she giggled and said "You wish"
    Tim C
    2016 K1600GTL
    Matte Ocean Blue

I don't recall posting this before....
    We were fueling and H had topped off and went inside the store. A couple of guys at the next pump walked over to look at the bikes and comment on the TX plates. They asked if we rode all the way from TX and I said yes, except we pushed them a little of the way

When H walked out and started gearing up, they kept looking back towards the store. Then one of them asked her where her pilot was
    He said that her bike was too big to be hers. I cranked my bike and rolled away before she popped them upside their gray heads. We laughed later.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Back in the late 1970's I was on my R75/5 in a small town in LA (Lower Alabama).

This was before self service and they still pumped the gas into your vehicle...most attendants handed a motorcycle rider the nozzle out of courtesy.

A young man came out to serve me and said in a deep accent..."What the hell kind of motorcycle is that?"

I told him a BMW, same as the brand of cars. He gave me a blank look that showed he had never seen that make of car either.

Had a nice talk, but could have used an interpreter for some of it.
    George
    R1200RT. Previous K1200RS, K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

I left work a little early on a Friday afternoon to ride the 250 or so miles to the Husker Rally at Franklin, Nebraska. I was riding my venerable K75, Old Smokey, which at the time had about 200,000 miles on it. About halfway there, in northern Kansas, I stopped at a convenience store to fill with gas and grab a slice of pizza.

A couple rolled in on a newish bright yellow Goldwing, towing a matching bright yellow trailer, with a cooler painted yellow, to match the bike and the trailer and the jackets the man and women each wore. The combined weights of the two had to be something north of 600 pounds. Before he was totally stopped she stepped/stumbled off the bike and quickly duck walked to the bathroom. Then she went to the pizza counter. While he was waiting for her to return with their plates of pizza he took off his yellow helmet and sauntered over to look at my bike. He glanced at the odometer and then asked, "How did you put so many miles on such a little bike."

Given the situation I was polite, and just shrugged a non-committal type answer.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Scooter Whisperer
    Yes...I am a scooterist and have about 50K miles on 650 scooters and probably another 20K or so on vintage scooters. I'm at about 18K on my C650GT. I was at a light getting ready to take the ramp onto I-95 on the GT and a GWing pulled up next to me. "You take that on 95?" "yeah" "Can you keep up with traffic?"..."yeah" "How fast can it go?" "110"..."oh"

I get the same reaction when I tell them my 67 Vespa GT will cruise at 70!
    2013 C650GT
    1964 Vespa GS, 1968 Vespa SS 180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1967 Vespa GT

I used to have a Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. One Sunday afternoon I rode to a state park where lots of motorcyclists congregate. I was sitting on a rock wall with my bike in front of me when a Harley rider walked over to look at my bike.

His first question was, "How old is that bike?'

I replied, "It is brand new."

He thought a minute and asked, "Why would you want to buy a new bike that looks old?"

"Really? You're riding a Harley and you are asking me that question??"

He just turned around and walked off.
    2015 R nineT