• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's your strangest or funniest interaction with a motorist?

Not a motorist, but still funny....
Years ago, I was a year or two out of high school and ran back home on my 1980 Honda 750. I ran into a bunch that I knew and we stopped at a convenience store for a break. Another guy we knew rode by, then turned back a stopped in to visit with us. We were all riding 500-750 CC bikes, he was riding a Puch moped he had for 4-5 years that looked rough, scratched up, rusty from sitting outside all the time. On guy in the group that I didn't know very well, (pretty sure he was from and other town a few miles away), started giving this guy crap about his moped. One guy shut him down right away and told him to back down as the moped rider was an alright guy. Well the big mouth kept it up and someone else to him to shut up, and go over and take a good look at the moped. Loud mouth looked at us funny, then walked over, looked at the moped for a few seconds then got a shocked look on his face. It had roughly 30,000 miles on it and was still ticking. Loud mouth was pretty quiet after that with his 3,000 miles a year!

I took that moped for a ride once, scared the crap out of me! I swear the frame and wheels were completely made of rubber it flexed so much. Probably had something to do with all the miles on it and so-so maintenance, it was just worn out.

I was riding my Norton years ago like late 70s early 80s. And this guy on a Sportster keeps coming up on me, and I'm thinking this guy is nuts if he thinks he is going to pass me. So I keep blasting off every time he gets close, until we finally get stopped in traffic and he pulls up on my right, reaches into his pocket and pulls out my taillight and asked me if I wanted it back. It was all scratched to hell but it still worked. My header pipe falling off is a whole other story.

Crossing Nebraska, miles and miles of nothing but nothing...
A car comes up from behind and starts to pass, then matches my speed alongside.
Two young couples, and the guy in the back seat leans way out to pass me a can of Coors!
Fortunately, I just happened to have a straw in my leather's pocket.

Many years ago, riding my Honda 450 twin and wearing the requisite leather jacket, jeans and boots. I come upon an older lady parked on the shoulder with what looks like her grandkids in the back seat; she's got a flat. I park in front and offer help. She will not get out of the car or even roll down her window more than an inch the whole time I'm working.

A week later, I get a box of cookies and a thank you note in the mail ... she must have traced my license plate.

Back in the eighties while stationed in San Diego I was driving to the beach with my four year old daughter strapped into the child seat next to me. Ahead of us was a white Mercedes convertible, top down, with a young man driving, and a young woman with a wild mane of blonde hair in the passenger seat. I gave them plenty of space as they were passing a bottle back and forth and appeared more intent on having fun than staying in their lane.

I eased up behind them at a red light. Suddenly the woman stood up and started announcing her joy to all who would listen. She was absolutely beautiful...and stark naked!

As I sat there stunned, staring at the goddess in front of me, I felt a tug on my sleeve. "Daddy," announces my daughter with stern disapproval. "That lady isn't wearing her seatbelt!"

Last edited:
From the mouth of a baby.... she was correct, the lack of a seatbelt was more important in the long run.

Back in '07, I was in Texas riding with two friends. This was my first long trip from NH to TX. My friends, who lived in Austin and Arlington had been bugging me to come ride Hill Country and the Twisted Sisters. They told me the whole area catered to bikers as that was the bread and butter for the area. I certainly saw my share of bikes, mostly big ol' Harleys. I was on my '02 1150RT and my friends had 1200RT's. We were blasting down Rt 83 into Leakey when we came upon three tractor trailers poking along. As we closed on them, almost in chorus, all three pulled off to the side of the roads so we could pass. As we did, all three drivers gave us a friendly wave.

A couple of days later, we were at a pull off stretching our legs. There were a few other bikes there with us. All Harleys. One woman who had overheard me talking about long distance riding and my serious case of "Bike Butt" came over and offered to give me her gel pad she was using on her bike. I politely declined her offer and after trying it, told her I was going to stop in Austin on my way home and pick one up. Kinda blew me away that a perfect stranger would offer me a somewhat expensive gel pad out of the good ness of her heart. She got a hug from me before we rode off.

My whole week long trip in Texas was filled with great people and wonderful roads. It impressed me enough to go three more times.

We were blasting down Rt 83 into Leakey when we came upon three tractor trailers poking along. As we closed on them, almost in chorus, all three pulled off to the side of the roads so we could pass. As we did, all three drivers gave us a friendly wave.

We really like this, It's a common occurrence in the Hill Country.
We always give a thank you wave as we pass.

Last edited:
A few stories:

1) I sell BMW Motorcycles and a customer called me to inquire about a K1600GT. I said, "yes, we have one in stock and it is an amazing bike. I would be happy to tell you about, as I ride one!" He replied: "You mean you ride on the back of one, right??" Grrrrr

2) I was riding through St. Catharines, Ontario a few years ago on my G310GS and it was Brock University night where all the Uni kids go downtown to the bars on a Friday night. I was in ATGATT and a pretty young blonde woman lifted up her top and bra to flash me with her boobs! I yelled out: "My boobs are bigger than yours, hunny!" hehehe

3) I was crossing the border on my G310GS and waiting in traffic in my lane. A gentleman about my age was in the lane next to me in a convertible. He said: "I've always wanted to ride, but never got around it it, nice bike!" He asked me how long I had been riding and I told him 38 years. As his lane cleared, he left this passing remark: "Don't forget to lube your chain!" (I had done so that morning). Grrrrr

4) I was dropping my 11 year old daughter (she's 29 now) at Sailing Camp in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. I used to ride her there every day and back. As I left, one of her fellow sailing kids yelled out: "YOU ARE the COOLEST MOM, EVER!!!"

Two come to mind, both on my 1975 R90/6.
1) State police pull me over. I ask if there is a problem. No problem, they just wanted a closer look at my bike.

2)Parked some where and someone comes over and staring at the roundel, asks me, beautiful bike. Is it a Harley?

Gassing up my Laverda, a "famous make" rider wanders over.

'Who makes that bike?'
'Laverda'
"OK, I see that on the tank, but is it a Honda?'

~~~

After I pull over at a Scenic View spot off the Blue Ridge Parkway, a gentleman steps out of his truck and walks over.
Looking up and down my Hi Viz 'Stich, he stops in front of me.
'You look ridiculous in that suit - I could see you for miles.'
Turns and walks away.

After I pull over at a Scenic View spot off the Blue Ridge Parkway, a gentleman steps out of his truck and walks over.
Looking up and down my Hi Viz 'Stich, he stops in front of me.
'You look ridiculous in that suit - I could see you for miles.'
Turns and walks away.

:rofl :ha

A policeman who knows how to diffuse a situation

Back around 2003 I was the proud owner of a '95 r1100. Only problem was I was in Taiwan and they were illegal then and of course was not registered. There were a few big bikes around but all were illegal to drive on the road. Anyway, I rode mine anyway without trouble for about a year and then one day when I was just about to get into the mountains, I saw flashing lights behind me so I pulled over. I kept my helmet on and visor down when the two policemen walked up. They began speaking Chinese and pointing at the bike; I took my helmet off and began speaking English. That startled them a bit and they stepped back once they saw I was a western. I can speak some Chinese but also knew that would not be the right time. Most policemen can't speak English and don't want to get bogged down with a westerner and spoil their day. So they began walking around the bike, talking and pointing. One of them pointed at the tag on the back, which said (BMW) and laughed and then looked at me a :thumb and said, BMW good ...Go !
and I went.

Not a motorist interaction but here goes.

Last June I was northbound on Colo Hwy 145 about 15 miles north of Dolores.
In front of me off the road in the grass I see one of those red flags you put on ATV's and bike trailers.
As I pass by I see its a guy in a wheel chair.
I go about a mile and decide to turn around and see if he's OK.
Well I pull up and meet my new friend Paul.
Paul is a paraplegic from a oil field accident, he is pulling a Red Flyer wagon and is as happy as a man can be.
We talk and hes a talker. He tells me he is on a camping trip GOING BY WHEEL CHAIR From Farmington NM to Grand Junction Co to visit a friend and BACK. I don't know but I'd guess its about 250 -275 miles ea way. He said he averages about 15 miles a day.
I ask him if he needs any water or money. He laughs and smiles and says hes good on both, he said people were so kind they always stop and insist on him taking food and water and beer, so much so he has to put his foot down and say thanks but no thanks.
I guessed he was about 35 and he said he had been in a chair for 7 years after a load of pipe fell on him, crushing his back.
So cherry and positive.
I think of him often when I think I'm having a tough day.
Nick
1990 K 75RT

Inappropriate Clothing

In 2011 in Lake Placid, NY I had that
experience but a different slant. Guy looks at my BMW-emblemed 2008 R1200RT and says: "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles!" Of course, my reply was: "You mean they make cars too?"

My wife, who rides her own bike, was in our Mercedes dealership wearing a Rawhyde Offroad Academy Vest complete with roundel speaking with our service representative. An older curmudgeon who’s waiting to see the rep after my wife leans into his office and says, “Rather inappropriate vest to wear in a Mercedes dealership!” My wife replied, “Well, until Mercedes makes motorcycles, it’s NOT inappropriate!”

In 2011 in Lake Placid, NY I had that
experience but a different slant. Guy looks at my BMW-emblemed 2008 R1200RT and says: "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles!" Of course, my reply was: "You mean they make cars too?"

I would have said - A real BMW only needs 2 wheels

From my daughter who rides a F800

She is a teacher and the first day she rode it to work, her "COOL FACTOR" went up by 100% easily. During one of the parent-teacher night, one of the moms asked if she was the teacher that rides. She said yes, that mom said cool.

She also did a 2 week solo trip from the mid-west to southern CA and back. She pulled into get gas in New Mexico, since she was wearing full gear and as she took off her she heard a voice shout - It's a girl.

Back