Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What's your strangest or funniest interaction with a motorist?

One Ring To Rule Them All AirBender's Avatar
    Good thread!
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing (sold), 2015 San Marino Blue BMW R1200RT

Blue Ridge Parkway, 1970

I was a student at Appalachian State University. I owned a purple Triumph Trophy 500. As some of you know, the Parkway weather can be very different than the surrounding country. I encountered a rain/sleet/snow storm and decided to stop until it passed. A woman stopped to see if I had a problem. I told her I was waiting out the storm. She invited me to ride home with her and have lunch. I am not shy; so off we went. Her husband and kids were not surprised she had brought a wet motorcyclist home for lunch. After lunch, her husband said the storm was not isolated and that he would take me and my bike into Boone in the back of his truck. It turned into a lasting relationship and he allowed me to come hunt on his farm whenever I wished.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I had an older gentlemen ask what kind of Harley is that, looking at my K75.

Another time a couple of young guys pointed at my K75 and found something hilarious. I don't think it was me, they seemed to be looking at the BMW roundel on the gas tank.

At a poker run, there was a bike show afterwards. My K75 won "best Japanese bike."

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Cal
    About 12 years ago, I was getting off my 1974 R90/6 when an old gentleman with a European accent approached me. He proceeded to tell me he used to have a bike like mine, I said great. Then he told me, his had had a sidecar and a machinegun, I proceeded to laugh and asked him why didn't he keep it after the war, Well the US Army took it away when he surrendered.

His last comment was that his job was to find the enemy and then to put the motorcycle on reverse, his gunner would lay down machine gun fire and they would get out of there. The thing that struck me the most when he said this last comment, that old man had the biggest grin in his face.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

We weren't on the bike, but my son and I stopped at a red light near the beach while on vacation. We pulled up next to a young lady, maybe in her early 30s, who was talking on a cell phone and very animated with her hands. We took off from the light and it was obvious she had no clue what was going on around her - tailgating the car in front, drifting into our lane, etc.

My son (who was about ten y/o at the time) just stared out the window at her to see if she would notice. This went on for several red lights. When she finally looked over at him staring, she quickly gave him the finger, again in a very animated fashion.

We both started laughing hysterically and without warning, Grayson put both hands to his ears, stuck out his tongue and gave the universal nanny-nanny-boo-boo to her. She changed hands with the phone and gave him the other finger. We laughed for several traffic lights and went on about our day. Good times!

Now that he is driving, I try not to encourage the fixed gaze into other cars and certainly no hands to the ears.
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '76 CB400F, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I was a student at Appalachian State University. I owned a purple Triumph Trophy 500. As some of you know, the Parkway weather can be very different than the surrounding country. I encountered a rain/sleet/snow storm and decided to stop until it passed. A woman stopped to see if I had a problem. I told her I was waiting out the storm. She invited me to ride home with her and have lunch. I am not shy; so off we went. Her husband and kids were not surprised she had brought a wet motorcyclist home for lunch. After lunch, her husband said the storm was not isolated and that he would take me and my bike into Boone in the back of his truck. It turned into a lasting relationship and he allowed me to come hunt on his farm whenever I wished.
    Kismet! Nice story.
    2012 F650GS

The 1973 Labor day week end. The heat was climbing as we were headed N on the Inter state. Riding side by side, he on the out side and I next to the other N bound lane. Going about 75mph.

I looked to my left and a sedan pulls up, girl in back, guys up front. They look at us and wave. The she holds up BOTTLE JACK DANIELS. I nod to my buddy, He gives a thumbs up. The car starts to pull away. Then slow till we catch up.

T he lady next to rolled down the window and hold up a large cup, as offering me a sip. I nodded OK. she hold the cup out the window. I move over and take the cup. After a couple of sips, I hand it to my buddy who finished the drink. handing the cup back the driver floored the car an speeded off.

At the next fuel stop we talked how we would have explained it to a police office if we were stopped.

On another trip we went into town for supper. The road was down hill, with a hard crown. e were walking to the dinner, when this sidecar rig pulled into the curb. Rider, wife and 3 kid get off and go inside.

Then some other riders park so the rider would need help to push the rig out. Most did not know it had reverse.

When the rider and his family came out , they all climbed on the rig. Looking around he waved to the crowd, then started the bike, reached down with his right an did something no one could see what. Then he back out and drove..
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

I've had a couple funny ones....

1. Not commuting, but I had just pulled into the Target parking lot for the weekly Target run. I was parked next to an SUV and a mom was unloading her kiddo. They watched me get off my F650GS and as I pulled of my lid, the mom exclaimed "Whoa...Lady rider! Rock and Roooooool!' and gave me a big thumbs up. I started laughing because it was the complete opposite reaction from what I was expecting. Her kid just stared ad me and my bike, and as they walked off to the store, he said, all shy, 'Rock and Roll rider!' I still grin when I remember that.

2. I wear a grey 'stich two piece and have pretty short hair, so I don't look too much like a female while I'm on the bike. I pulled into the gas station on my way to work (here in Oregon, all gas stations are full serve by law, but bikes usually get a pass and get to pump their own), and before I pulled off my lid, the attendant said 'Hey sonny, you got it ok?' I pulled off my lid and said yep, thanks. The look on his face was priceless when he realized I wasn't a sonny. I stop pretty regularly at that station, and he usually comes over to say hi ever since, and occasionally tells his other regular customers how cool he thinks my bike (he usually sees me F800GT) is.

Missed opportunity!

A couple of years ago, it was afternoon commute time, and I was on my way home on my RT. As I approached a red light, I checked my mirrors as I was taught in MSF school, and noted a white Gold Wing closing in on my right side. As I stopped, he pulled alongside on my right - a little uncomfortably close - and motioned for me to raise my visor. I did.

"Where WERE you this morning?" he asked, seemingly indignant.

"Excuse me please?" (I've never seen the guy or his bike before.)

"We could'a both called in sick and gone RIDING!"

Marty
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"