• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 R1200RTLC BMW Motorrad USA Owner's Option's Poll

Which option have you or will you chose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KarlG

Now that the options have been communicated officially by BMW Motorrad US to owners of bikes affected by the do not ride advisory on June 5th, 2014 what option have you chosen or think you will go with?

Wait it out and the $2500 when fixed?

Loaner and $1000 in dealer credit when your bike is fixed?

Trade in on another model BMW and $1000 owner loyalty credit?

Buy back and walk away?

The poll will be more accurate if only those truly affected in the US vote and might give an idea of what your fellow owners are opting for. If you are not affected or somewhere where the offer is not valid, it might be interesting to see if what you would have picked compares to what those affected and voting chose.

Link to similar poll on another forum:
Poll on BMW Luxury Touring Forum

Comments and discussion welcome.

Be interested in knowing how many actually completed a transaction. Anyone actually get a check from BMW for a buy-back? Seems they are dragging their collective feet in the buy-back process. I've yet to hear of anyone even signing a buy-back agreement thus far. Reportedly you'll get your check 30 days after agreement is signed. Anyone?

Explanation of vote

I voted as having taken the refund. I actually wanted the trade deal, but it wouldn't work with the allowance for the dealer. So I took the refund and cut my own reasonable deal on a new GS.

I opted for the Trade. I found the K1600GTL actually fit me better. Still loved the R1200RTW but I probably would have bought the K1600GTL if I had test ridden it before buying the RT. So I think I made out like a bandit.

I voted as having taken the refund. I actually wanted the trade deal, but it wouldn't work with the allowance for the dealer. So I took the refund and cut my own reasonable deal on a new GS.

Have you received a Buy-back Agreement to sign yet? If so, when do you expect your check?

My brother took buy back and immediately ordered 2015. I'm using tapatalk so I can see poll to vote for him

Waiting for the repair

I chose the 2014 R1200RT for many reasons and none have changed. While I'm disappointed that I haven't been able to ride it this summer, I'm keeping mine and looking forward to the repair, while riding my 2009 R1200RT in the meantime.

Quite a bit different than the results of the poll on the LT forum.

Both polls seem to agree with BMW's statement that the majority of owners are by choice or not, sticking it out. Their are more international owners voting in the poll on the LT site than the MOA from what I saw. Both are highly unscientific, influenced by relatively small number of votes and just of general interest, IMO, rather than something with hard data to hang a hat on.

BMW , I am sure, has data by VIN on US affected bikes and owners choices but as we have already seen, some owners are changing their mind as this continues to drag out. I think until my dealer has the part in hand and the replacement date scheduled, I consider all the dates as still tentative.

Keep on Riding

I put 4500 miles on my 2014 RT after the no ride alert. The service rep was unhappy with me.

Trades

I was hoping that a lot of 1200's would be turned in and there would be some good deals on used bikes later this year. From the looks of the pole, that's not happening. Ed

Ought to add another vote category: "Who will take buyback option, then buy their own bike back?" I'd have to check that one.

Last edited:
I spent half of my $2500 paying for repairs on a 2011 RT the dealer loaned me which I got off of in my garage with the sidestand extended but not locked. Woops. The rest I spent on a Vanson jacket, Motoport pants, and Sidi boots.

2014 10 20_0729.jpg

I know this is all history now but as a future new BMW owner I think BMW handled this very well and am so looking forward to owning a new 2016 R1200RT!:ca

I know this is all history now but as a future new BMW owner I think BMW handled this very well and am so looking forward to owning a new 2016 R1200RT!:ca

BMW has worked out the kinks with the new RT, so it should be outstanding. It's always best to wait a few years on a given model release before buying. No use being a beta tester.

Back