Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Logging in to forums again a problem!

Not sure what to say guys... My "go-to-guy" Ted Moyer is really tied up at the rally. I have no magic bullets in my belt. It really has to be an individual problem I think. I'm OK with saved logins on three different systems - Win7 desktop, Win8 notebook, and Android smartphone. All three remember me each time...I did nothing special to make that happen, just logged in and checked the box.

So, until the rally is over, I'm not sure what can be done.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I just wonder when someone will "own" up to this problem!

It happened about a year ago, now again. Gets frustrating!
    Easy there Jimmy, the problem is just with a few. If you were closer, I would have you bring your computer over and get you going.
    If this were a complete forum problem, every Member who visits would have the problem- nothing to "own up to".
    If you know someone else who has a computer, try logging on from there. That will help you know that it has nothing to do with your login credentials. If there is a problem, please take careful notes and let us know were the problem started.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Easy there Jimmy, the problem is just with a few. If you were closer, I would have you bring your computer over and get you going.
    If this were a complete forum problem, every Member who visits would have the problem- nothing to "own up to".
    If you know someone else who has a computer, try logging on from there. That will help you know that it has nothing to do with your login credentials. If there is a problem, please take careful notes and let us know were the problem started.
    OM
    That being said, NOTHING changed on my end. It had been reported enough by enough people to justify the notion that it is not MY problem! It started about 3 weeks ago and still no resolution.

It MAY be that you can "fix" the problem on my computer, but that is begging the question as to why and how it happened in the first place.

I HAVE tried all suggestions (including deleting all my cookies) and still no "workie."

Something changed a few weeks ago as indicated by others, on the MOA end of things. What changed?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

The forum had a V-Bulliten version up-date/up-grade to bring it up to date with bug fixes and security up-dates.
    Have you tried the login from another computer suggestion yet? That would help us understand the goings on.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The forum had a V-Bulliten version up-date/up-grade to bring it up to date with bug fixes and security up-dates.
    Have you tried the login from another computer suggestion yet? That would help us understand the goings on.
    OM
    I will try that, as you suggest, when I can find someone who has a computer AND the ability to log on to internet. Presently I am re-locating, and don't have internet at home (yet) and don't have anyone to go to, to try your suggestion. I can see if the office computer at work will allow me. I will check on Monday.

Thanks,
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

OM
    Again, mine is pretty much doing the same thing on my laptop. XP on this unit and my desktop. The desktop is just fine and recognizes everything just fine. This laptop, I am on the road. Using the laptop to log on, time after time, since the "upgrade" a couple of weeks ago, DOES NoT remember the log on stuff. Even when I just go to another web site and then back here.......I begin to enter the "D" in my user name and up that pops, then I just click on the password and that comes up......

Yes, I have gotten rid of cookies but NOT passwords nor history.....HATE to have to do that and should not have too......Anyway, same song 54th verse.....thanks for what you do Gary............God bless........Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Again, mine is pretty much doing the same thing on my laptop........
    The desktop is just fine and recognizes everything just fine.
    This is good info Dennis as it confirms that the problem is confined to your laptop.
    .......I begin to enter the "D" in my user name and up that pops, then I just click on the password and that comes up......
    I've seen this before Dennis and if I recall it had to do with the "remember me" box.

Yes, I have gotten rid of cookies but NOT passwords nor history.....HATE to have to do that and should not have too......Anyway, same song 54th verse.....thanks for what you do Gary............God bless........Dennis
    You may have to clean it out Dennis to get things to run like your desktop. It could be the way that it was configured when manufactured that is holding the old info.
    As you are running an XP machine, I will send you something to look at via PM. I don't want to post it for the world as it could get a 'puter in to the netherworld
    Your Welcome.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I will try that, as you suggest, when I can find someone who has a computer AND the ability to log on to internet. Presently I am re-locating, and don't have internet at home (yet) and don't have anyone to go to, to try your suggestion. I can see if the office computer at work will allow me. I will check on Monday.

Thanks,
    That will help to narrow down the possibilities.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

That will help to narrow down the possibilities.
    OM
    Currently, like Dennis, my computer (running Win 7) is set up to remember my logins and passwords on sites that are not that critical to my personal info data, and the MOA website is one of them. So, the upshot of this, is, at least, I don't have to type in all the information each time I try to log onto the "Forum" section of the MOA site. I just start typing my username - and the computer fills in the blanks. Thankfully, I say, as I can't even remember my logon password since I haven't had to use it for over a year!

Some way, we will get this worked out!

Jimmylee

I can't even remember my logon password since I haven't had to use it for over a year!

Some way, we will get this worked out!

Jimmylee
    You are really not alone in forgetting your password and a real clean out of your computer will take it all away-and leave you on as a guest. To change your password, it's best to call the office due to the dual databases.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gary..........thanks........went to the place you said, maybe 100 files there with many of them empty............what am I looking for???........I see nothing that is obviously password, BMWMOA, or Explorer related............??????????/.................Thanks and God bless..........Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Gary..........thanks........went to the place you said, maybe 100 files there with many of them empty............what am I looking for???........I see nothing that is obviously password, BMWMOA, or Explorer related............??????????/.................Thanks and God bless..........Dennis
    That is a short-cut to your temporary internet files.The temporary internet files hold an "association" with a particular web site and make your return to the site faster as the "background" info is already on your computer. Trend Micro AV software had a "system tuner" function that would clean out all the "crap" and give a report of- files deleted, registry changes and virus report.
    With only 100 you are actually in pretty good shape. There are probably only 12 that "need" to be there. You should be able to delete any that are empty- your computer will run better. Heed any warnings that may come up that question your deletion of the file(s).
    These files, cookies, history and cache are what make the time on the internet both enjoyable and frustrating
    OM
    BTW, frequently the "add on" browser will have a layer of this "clutter".
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Possible simple answer

When you get the "you are a guest" business and try to log on, I suspect when you type even a part of your user name you quickly have alternatives that include your full user name. Click on it. Next, HIGHLIGHT ALL THOSE DOTS IN THE PASSWORD BOX AND DELETE THEM. THEN TYPE IN YOUR PASSWORD. FINALLY, CLICK THE "REMEMBER ME" BOX BEFORE ENTERING.

This is NOT an explanation of why you are often "remembered" - but sometimes not; I just don't know. It seems that the password box doesn't automatically clear after a failed attempt to log on. The above is an explanation of what allowed me to post this. Hope it is helpful.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Same problem after update.
    Problem cleared after deleting cookies and then repeating log in and remember me box (new cookies)
    Browser : Safari Version 7.0.6

Other forums running similar software have also had same problem and solution.

Nod and a thanks to forum admins.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
    Same problem after update.
    Problem cleared after deleting cookies and then repeating log in and remember me box (new cookies)
    Browser : Safari Version 7.0.6

Other forums running similar software have also had same problem and solution.
    Thanks for that confirmation!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!