• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Routing Apps for Apple/Mac

ItsPhilD

What are people using for route planning on their Apple/Mac? I'd love to be able to plan some on road trips for my Zumo 390.

Basecamp is the choice for many of us. It's free from Garmin and integrates well with their map and software updates. If you like the way google maps works all point and clicky you're going to hate Basecamp. It definitely requires rewiring your thinking of how you interact with the map and map tools but once you reprogram your thinking to match the effed up way the Garmin software guys think, it actually works pretty well. Is that all an endorsement of the product? For me, it's a love/hate thing but it's the only real game in town for the Mac.

Basecamp is the choice for many of us. It's free from Garmin and integrates well with their map and software updates. If you like the way google maps works all point and clicky you're going to hate Basecamp. It definitely requires rewiring your thinking of how you interact with the map and map tools but once you reprogram your thinking to match the effed up way the Garmin software guys think, it actually works pretty well. Is that all an endorsement of the product? For me, it's a love/hate thing but it's the only real game in town for the Mac.

Yeah, I guess I should have phrased my question better. Other then Basecamp what are people using? Are there options?

Mapquest

I use Mapquest on my Mac. I found it the easiest way to create a route and it downloads easily to my Garmin.

I use Mapquest on my Mac. I found it the easiest way to create a route and it downloads easily to my Garmin.

I have had Mapquest bookmarked in my browser for years but my default has always been Google Maps. But they have made a lot of what I feel are poor designing changes. Plus they have lost some functionality such as being able to upload to a Garmin GPS.

I took a fresh look at Mapquest today and while not feature packed it does the job quite nicely. Thanks for the reminder.

Back