Thread: 2012 R1200RT Final Drive oil volume

2012 R1200RT Final Drive oil volume

I am doing the 12,000 mile maintenance on my 2012 R1200RT and I cannot find a reliable reference for the volume of oil to add to the final drive. I don't have the maintenance DVD because I use Apple computers. One post on this forum (in the Tech Library) called for 180 ml while another said 220 ml.

Some references elsewhere on the internet say that BMW issued a bulletin changing the volume to 180 ml because the earlier required volume of 220 ml created too much pressure and can damage the rear oil seal.

Can anyone answer this definitively?

Also, I purchased Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube for this purpose while the Tech Library shows Castrol SAF-XO or BMW Gear Oil SAE 75W90 Super Synthetic. The Mobil 1 is not dyed red as the Castrol and BMW products apparently are. Comments?
    2012 R1200RT
    2005 F650GS

180ml is the standard since the reduction from the original build spec of 220ml

saf-xo is the original spec, now available at dealers . I and others have used the Mobil 1 for years before the xo was available. Spectro, now Castrol bottle for BMWNA.

The spec is recommended...not required...a big difference to most of us
    If the xo was the only option, dealers would not sell/install the BMW labeled juice...which they do.
    Last edited by henzilla; 07-10-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    180ml is the standard since the reduction from the original build spec of 220ml

saf-xo is the original spec, now available at dealers . I and others have used the Mobil 1 for years before the xo was available. Spectro, now Castrol bottle for BMWNA.
    Wow, Thank you Steve for the good info and thank you so much for your quick response!! My RT was sitting in the garage with the oil drained from the final drive when I made my post. Now I can proceed with the oil change with only a 30 min delay (which I spent having lunch).

Isn't this forum great!

Thanks again!
    2012 R1200RT
    2005 F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by selledr View Post
    I am doing the 12,000 mile maintenance on my 2012 R1200RT and I cannot find a reliable reference for the volume of oil to add to the final drive. I don't have the maintenance DVD because I use Apple computers. One post on this forum (in the Tech Library) called for 180 ml while another said 220 ml.

Some references elsewhere on the internet say that BMW issued a bulletin changing the volume to 180 ml because the earlier required volume of 220 ml created too much pressure and can damage the rear oil seal.

Can anyone answer this definitively?

Also, I purchased Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube for this purpose while the Tech Library shows Castrol SAF-XO or BMW Gear Oil SAE 75W90 Super Synthetic. The Mobil 1 is not dyed red as the Castrol and BMW products apparently are. Comments?
    My 2011 R1200RT has a vent so overfilling is not that big a deal. I assume your 2012 R1200RT has this vent as well so you shouldn't have any problems either.

HDH
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by hdehaan View Post
    My 2011 R1200RT has a vent so overfilling is not that big a deal. I assume your 2012 R1200RT has this vent as well so you shouldn't have any problems either.
    That's good to know, hdehaan! Thank you.

Can you describe the vent or show a photo so I can verify that my RT also has the vent?
    2012 R1200RT
    2005 F650GS

180 ml is the amount currently called for by BMW. It used to be higher, but they reduced it (due to rear drive pressure issues is my understanding).

Castrol SAF-XO is golden coloured. It's about $22 per liter in the US. But, on my 2011 R1200GS, the rear drive only requires changing every 20,000 km, and the gear case only requires changing every 40,000 km, so the cost per km is very low. So I stick with the Castrol SAF-XO.

Can you describe the vent or show a photo so I can verify that my RT also has the vent?
    see realoem.

Part 8 is the breather

I refill rear end via the vent cap hole

Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    I refill rear end via the vent cap hole
    I was curious about this as I didn't know what that cap was until now. If you can fill it through the vent hole, that would negate the need to remove the rear wheel to get to the filler plug.

Anyone else do this?
    Current rides:
    2016 R1200RT Ebony Metallic - 12k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - 18k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2013 R1200RT 90th, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

Marchyman already posted a link to the exploded view drawing but below you'll find a picture as well.

HDH
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    I was curious about this as I didn't know what that cap was until now. If you can fill it through the vent hole, that would negate the need to remove the rear wheel to get to the filler plug.

Anyone else do this?
    Yes, I have done that. Be careful to pour slow otherwise you'll spill oil and you'll lose track of how much is actually going in the final drive housing.

HDH
    2011 R1200RT

Does the breather simply pull out (as opposed to being screwed in)?

Thanks,

Just give a pull at angle. I put a rag around the hole and fill it. It's so easy and the drive has no sight glass I change the oil twice a season, not because of wear and tear of the oil but because I want to know there is enough oil in the drive