• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cruise control options

I'm looking for the best option for a throttle lock or cruise control unit for my 92 R100R. Excel Throttle doesn't list a unit for my bike, neither does Kaoko. Searching this forum didn't produce anything so I'm reaching out for help. Thanks, Charlie

Go to Aerostich's website and search for cruise controls. They seem to have a variety...maybe something would work. Something that might help is the crampbuster or throttle rocker. It lets you use the heel of your hand to just hold the grip where it's at. Not good enough to operate the throttle, but with the added heel pressure, you can lighten your finger grip...even flex the fingers while holding speed.

Another thing to consider, especially if your throttle wants to snap shut, is to lighten the carb springs. Several places sell replacements that ease the spring pressure.

There is a school of thought that says throttle locking devices are dangerous.

I think there's a MSF course that you can take to get your license! :hide I've had a version of the Vista cruise on my /7 since I became the second owner back in 1980. Absolutely like it...a quick lock of the throttle, but easily overpowered if needed. Flex fingers, etc., quick unlock, and back to it. I also have the throttle rocker.

Charlie,

I had a version of the Kaoko on one of my bikes and it scared me. It could be set too tight so that it was not easily overpowered. There is one I like, can't remember the name, but it simply clips over the throttle and then you rotate it forward against the brake lever to set it. It is very easily overpowered and has no mechanical friction device other than the device itself where it clips over the throttle.

Vista cruise control

images

CrampBuster

White_CB1_2_350.jpg

Aerostitch has both of these, and more > http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/rider-comfort/cruise-controls

Go Cruise - I ordered one this morning.

The other options are Bob's Wrist Rest & Throttlemeister

Attachments

• wrist_rest_installed.jpg
    wrist_rest_installed.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 179
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 177
I have the Kaoko and the Go-Cruise. The Go-Cruise works so well, I screw out the Kaoko so it does not work anymore. If I could find the bar end I took out for Kaoko, I'd remove the Kaoko and use the Go-Cruise.

This is what I have used for decades, throttle screw

Since my first airhead (86 R80RT to my last airhead 1995 R100RT) I have used a throttle screw (item 26). They DO NOT LOCK the throttle, but apply enough friction to hold it in place. I adjust mine to give just enough friction to take the strain off my wrist, but easily over ridden by the slightest force on the grip. Your throttle should have already a hole under it just for this screw. Simple, cheap, and they last forever. I moved my screw from one bike to another as I sold them, not bad for a few dollars. These photos from MAX BMW, 88-95 R100RT. The grips are all the same, so it should be no problem getting one.

Attachments

• Throttle Screw.jpg
    Throttle Screw.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Throttle assembly.jpg
    Throttle assembly.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 175
  • Throttle Screw w:part number.jpg
    Throttle Screw w:part number.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 177
I know a couple of riders who have the Go Cruise and they both highly recommend it. It's a very simple and low cost option for easy cruise control. Have to say though the guy in the WebBikeWorld demo is demonstrating a great way to snap it in half. It is much easier to spread these types of devices apart just a little bit and work it over the bar end and grip instead of shoving it on and spreading the Go Cruise end over the entire circumference of the grip. :nono

Since my first airhead (86 R80RT to my last airhead 1995 R100RT) I have used a throttle screw (item 26). They DO NOT LOCK the throttle, but apply enough friction to hold it in place. I adjust mine to give just enough friction to take the strain off my wrist, but easily over ridden by the slightest force on the grip. Your throttle should have already a hole under it just for this screw. Simple, cheap, and they last forever. I moved my screw from one bike to another as I sold them, not bad for a few dollars. These photos from MAX BMW, 88-95 R100RT. The grips are all the same, so it should be no problem getting one.

+1 on the above item #26. Often there is a clear plastic plug blocking the hole; but it is there and already threaded.........Start with this item for sure, and then go perhaps with one of the variations on the crampbuster type of device........Kent has a great suggestion about the springs and getting some that are not so strong..........Do these simple things and you will match the rest of us that have many 100's of thousands of miles showing the way.........God bless.....Dennis

+1 on the above item #26. Often there is a clear plastic plug blocking the hole; but it is there and already threaded.........Start with this item for sure, and then go perhaps with one of the variations on the crampbuster type of device........Kent has a great suggestion about the springs and getting some that are not so strong..........Do these simple things and you will match the rest of us that have many 100's of thousands of miles showing the way.........God bless.....Dennis

The "K" bike type controls on the '92 and later model year R100R and R100GS paralever models do not have the "locking bolt" #26 in the fiche image shown for the earlier airheads. The only option is aftermarket.

I have a "Bob's Wrist Rest" on my '93 R100R. Works fine.

Given that the R100R was effectively a "road" GS of the same era and it sold in relatively low numbers compared to its "dual sport" twin I find checking what the GS crowd are doing/saying often is more helpful that searching or waiting for a R100R specific answer.

I think all years of the R100R came with bar-end weights as stock, so fitting something like a "Bob's Wrist Rest" is straightforward. For anyone with OEM heated grips and no bar-end weight as stock there is the risk of cutting heating element wires in the end of the grip to fit this kind of device

Granted it wasn't on an airhead, but I do have a lot of experience with the ThrottleMeister. I installed a set on both our R1100R and Kawasaki ZR-7s ahead of our cross-country trip and loved them. From what I experienced on the ZR-7s on the trip it doesn't fully overcome the return spring. If I take my hand off of the throttle it will slowly close, it just takes a really long time. Also, adjusting the throttle while the lock is engaged is easy. The few times I rode the BMW with it (my wife mostly rides that) I found the lock held a bit less; the throttle would close slightly faster if I removed my hand from the grip. The BMW isn't using their friction sleeve, though, while the ZR-7s is - it's a short plastic (Nylon?) collar with a flange that you slip under the end of the grip, flange-end out to give the friction ring of the lock a surface to engage.

Since returning from the trip I regularly use the lock on my commute if traffic isn't heavy.

I'm a new member of the site, but a decades long BMW owner. I just purchased a 1993 R100R and hate the handlebar controls! I have an opinion on the throttle lock you talk about. Until this model, I've used the same 'button' that screws into the right side bar control. Unfortunately, the late Airheads don't have that threaded hole for use of that unit unless, as I've read in one of the comments that there is a plastic plug blocking it. I'm looking now and see the plug, but it's completely flush, no way to remove that I can see. Any help?

Back