• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What a Tool (1979 R100S)

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
Hello all. After many years of sidecarring, K-bike riding, and generally being without an Airhead, I was able to land a 1979 R100S that runs well and will need only minor tweaking to turn it into a weekend favorite ride. One thing missing is the tool kit. I recall from my first bike (a 1973 R75/5) that the stock tool kit had every tool I needed to do almost all the required maintenance and roadside repairs. I did a quick scan of the used parts places and don't see one for sale. I do see that Cruz sells toolkits including one marketed as "for BMW R bikes" (RoadTech B1). Anyone have experience with these tool kits? Are there missing tools you needed to acquire separately. I feel practically naked riding without a tool kit.

Vech at Benchmark Works sells a few tool kits that are put together with today's tools.

I was trying to locate that thread Barron.

Anyone have experience with these tool kits? Are there missing tools you needed to acquire separately.

A stick type tire gauge - because they are simple, and fit in the tool roll nicely

.006" and .008" feeler gauges

one of those tiny flat-blade screwdriver - comes in hand for a number of things; like peeling those 6mm wavy washers off of the valve cover studs, popping the rubber inspection cover out of the timing hole in the crankcase, the terminal board (on my /5 uses screws).

Northwood Airheads points tool - because it totally simplifies setting points gap

IMG_1201-338x247.jpg

Spark plug shorting tool - not needed that frequently, but they don't take up enough space in the roll to worry about.

IMG_1229-1-339x211.jpg

Thanks for that enlightening bit of history Anton. And way to go Paul Tavernier for inventing such a handy tool. Ingenious.

Thanks for the suggestions

The online fiche is really useful in determining what tools come in the kit and the extra experience of our club members means I'll also have the important tools that aren't part of the kit.

I ordered a set from Max's and I'll be contacting Paul T. for a genuine version of his handy tool.

Thanks for posting that Anton. I'm glad you brought that /5 back to life. I also heard a great story about the bottom end I gave you being used to get Chaz's bike back on the road. For all the help I get from the clubs and forum posts I guess that was paying it forward.

Back