• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New "Krauser" cases by Siebenrock

lmo1131

My OEM Krausers finally bit it; cracks around the front mounting hardware bosses extending into the portion of the bag that fits into the mounting frame "loop". Its terminal, and it's on both bags.

I could repair them easily enough, it's not like I've been working with plastic for a short time, but to be honest, they're old, the material is generally getting brittle, and the internal volume has always left a bit to be desired.

So, has anyone purchased the reproduction bags (offered by Siebenrock) as replacements and fitted them onto their original Krauser mounting hardware? If so, how well do they fit; nice and snug, or do they rattle around some? How well do the new mounting latches fit your hardware? Any modification required?

4654100.jpg

Couple years ago i bought the Hepco & Becker bags from Max. They fit tighter than the original bags. Had to weld tabs on my Reynolds mounts.

I also bought the HB bags (from Bob's BMW) when my original bags on the '78 /7 got past the point of being further repairable. I'm not sure if my originals were the BMW bags or Krausers (they looked like Krausers).

I'm thinking the ones that Seibenrock sells are the HB bags. The HB bags look like the originals, fit great, function great, have better latches all around (lids and main latch to the pannier frame), and are a tad deeper than the originals (meaning even my truly giant Icon full-face helmet fits inside, which it would not in the old bags). The main retaining latch is a claw-type latch that replaces the old seatbelt style latch, and is substantially more secure (don't ask…). The bags come with the hardware kit you need to make the conversion for the main latch. Other than that, they are a direct fit onto the BMW/Krauser pannier mounts.

I've never regretted the purchase.:beer

Thanks for the input guys. It was what I was hoping to hear.

My hardware has the two tabs on it, so this should be an easy conversion.

Attachments

• Old Krauser mounts..jpg
    Old Krauser mounts..jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 345
Posting some detail information for anyone that may need it.

The installation instructions for the frame mounting adapter .

Attachments

• H&B instruction translation.jpg
    H&B instruction translation.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 305
ah, but you know what happens when we assume... .. . :bolt

No, I haven't got them yet. Still trying to determine exactly what hardware is required. Closer-er, and closer-er though.;)

One thing is fer sure... I can't believe how inconvenient it is without panniers; lunchbox, jacket storage, groceries, ... .

Inconvienient

Indeed, I went to "The Gathering of the Clans" after destroying one of my bags and the mount at the GMR this year and stuffing everything into a duffel and strapping it down on the back is not something I want to do again. Since I am in the process of buying a house, "She Who Holds The Purse Strings" has put the kibosh on getting new ones for the near future..........

ah, but you know what happens when we assume... .. . :bolt

:doh

Something occurred to me about the HB bags that is different than the Krauser/BMW bags that you should know about. There is a metal bracket on the back of the bags that hooks behind the pannier frame at front (near the shock) that is pop riveted to the body of the bag. This is in place of the molded-in plastic "hook" at the same location on the Krausers. The terminus of the rivets is inside the bags, and stick out about a 1/4 of an inch into the bags.

I was concerned these might scratch things like a helmet face shield if the contents were not carefully placed or the bags were stuffed full, so I purchased a short length of bulk carpet runner (from Lowe's or maybe it was the Despot...) and made a pad that I used Elmer's "Stix-All" silicone adhesive to adhere it over the rivets. I used the remaining sections to make floor mats for the bags. I had done this previously with my Krausers as well... protects the contents from the metal edging and hinges.

In any event, the rivets are a bit of a hazard in my opinion, but not so much that I wouldn't buy them again (I really like 'em). I didn't have a pic from before I installed the pads to show you the rivets, but I took one of what I did to cover them.

Attachments

• HB bags interior.jpg
    HB bags interior.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 248
This is in place of the molded-in plastic "hook" at the same location on the Krausers. The terminus of the rivets is inside the bags, and stick out about a 1/4 of an inch into the bags.

Thanks for that bit of information. My Krausers were/are pretty old, you can tell from the "open" style latch plate. They also have an aluminum plate riveted to the same place. The "newer" Krausers had the molded hook.

That plate has chewed up the powder coating on my mounting frames... what's the effect been on your hardware?

Thanks for that bit of information. My Krausers were/are pretty old, you can tell from the "open" style latch plate. They also have an aluminum plate riveted to the same place. The "newer" Krausers had the molded hook.

That plate has chewed up the powder coating on my mounting frames... what's the effect been on your hardware?

I had my pannier frames powder coated a few years ago, but I haven't noticed it wearing through yet and I've had the bags for four years or so (I'm not near the bike currently, or I'd go look- I rarely have the bags off the bike unless I am cleaning it). The bags are very tight in the mounts/frame, so not much vibration. But, but my Krausers did eventually wear thru the paint (thus the powered coating), even with just the plastic molded hook. Probably a factor of dirt getting between the bags and the mounts. I expect the same would happen with the HB bags. I'm not sure what to do about it- maybe adhere a rubber pad to the metal hook?

The old Krausers also showed wear into the plastic where they contacted the mounts, thus leaving the bags somewhat loose in the frame. I zip-tied rubber cut from an old inner tube around the frame in a couple of spots to tighten things up. I guess that could be a solution to wear on the frame as well (although, probably something cleaner than the zip-ties and rubber inner tube).

That's pretty much the situation I have. Lots of wear on the plastic where it's vibrated against the mount tubes, a bit of wear in the turnsignal recesses, where the #%$*&! bags have touched the aluminum t/s housings and worn them in two spots (didn't catch that one soon enough).

One last question.... does the metal exterior bracket (in front) have an internal backing plate, or is it just riveted to the plastic? Please say that there is an internal backing plate... ..

My HB bags have the brackets riveted to the plastic with washers at each rivet.

Don

That's my recollection as well. The plastic is pretty sturdy, and the washers keep the whole thing pretty well sandwiched together (plate, plastic bag housing, washers) in my opinion. I don't see it coming apart or breaking the plastic unless it were seriously overloaded, repeatedly.

My OEM Krausers finally bit it; cracks around the front mounting hardware bosses extending into the portion of the bag that fits into the mounting frame "loop". Its terminal, and it's on both bags.

I could repair them easily enough, it's not like I've been working with plastic for a short time, but to be honest, they're old, the material is generally getting brittle, and the internal volume has always left a bit to be desired.

So, has anyone purchased the reproduction bags (offered by Siebenrock) as replacements and fitted them onto their original Krauser mounting hardware? If so, how well do they fit; nice and snug, or do they rattle around some? How well do the new mounting latches fit your hardware? Any modification required?

4654100.jpg

I need new bags also and am a bit confused. The Siebenrock bags have a Krauser emblem on the side. Bobs sells the Hepco and Becker bags. Are they in fact the same bags and mount the same way to the same racks?

Back