• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Other riders who prefer to travel solo?

I ride the majority of my miles solo, but then, I'm very difficult to get along with.:)

I've ridden hundred or prolly thousands of miles with random people who I've never met. There's a wave at the end, especially if you are cat and mousing it through traffic. :)

Some really thought provoking and interesting posts.

I do think there is something more approachable about a solo rider, and more folks will engage you. I tend to really enjoy those interactions. Some of my favorites have been in farming communities where there are tables of salt if the earth type farmers talking with each other. And of course other riders.

True. Like the time I stopped to readjust my seat bag and a rancher stopped to ask me if I'd camped on his land the night before. I assured him I had not.

He said, "because if you had, I'd have invited you to breakfast. "

Missed out ;)

Voni
sMiling

I live in a small town. Most of the local riders are not into touring on motorcycles. They do the weekend group rides. If I didn't ride solo, I wouldn't travel on the bike. My wife won't ride at all, so if I don't go alone, I don't go.

Harry
That pretty much sums it up for me too-and I don't live in a town.
The few around me that ride are loud pipes or short haul riders that think it's a looooonnnngggg ways to ride all day or to go to Myrtle Beach on a MC is a bucket list trip for them, let alone a trip out of country. My wife's good for a pizza run once a year or a fall leaf peeper trip around our area & none of our son's ride MC's, just bicycles. I live in a good area to ride and see a solo BMW rider now & then passing through & wish we could touch base. If they're stopped I offer my knowledge of the roads.
I've tried twice to do the partner thing on Mexico rides & it's hard to do for all the same reasons others have already mentioned.

I am interested in a "mountain ride west" this summer, pavement & not, AND! I'm open to ride partnering-the road can be a lonely place. Nice to sit around the fire & talk to another human or also save some bucks on the occasional motel room.

I'm always interested in talking to other riders that want to do a winter ride south to Mexico or beyond. I'm experienced and plan to "go do it again" until my health runs out. I'm also looking for ride partners for a 'fly & rent" trip to: Nicaraugua, Colombia, Ecuador or Costa Rica. I don't do tours, just rent & "self touring" rides. I don't travel until after the holidays and family time is done. If your interested, lets talk. :thumb

That pretty much sums it up for me too-and I don't live in a town.
The few around me that ride are loud pipes or short haul riders that think it's a looooonnnngggg ways to ride all day or to go to Myrtle Beach on a MC is a bucket list trip for them, let alone a trip out of country. My wife's good for a pizza run once a year or a fall leaf peeper trip around our area & none of our son's ride MC's, just bicycles. I live in a good area to ride and see a solo BMW rider now & then passing through & wish we could touch base. If they're stopped I offer my knowledge of the roads.
I've tried twice to do the partner thing on Mexico rides & it's hard to do for all the same reasons others have already mentioned.

I am interested in a "mountain ride west" this summer, pavement & not, AND! I'm open to ride partnering-the road can be a lonely place. Nice to sit around the fire & talk to another human or also save some bucks on the occasional motel room.

I'm always interested in talking to other riders that want to do a winter ride south to Mexico or beyond. I'm experienced and plan to "go do it again" until my health runs out. I'm also looking for ride partners for a 'fly & rent" trip to: Nicaraugua, Colombia, Ecuador or Costa Rica. I don't do tours, just rent & "self touring" rides. I don't travel until after the holidays and family time is done. If your interested, lets talk. :thumb

Let me know the next time you plan to head south to Mexico. I have traveled in Mexico solo on bike, but given the current situation in some areas wouldn't mind traveling with someone else next time. I live in eastern WA, so in the winter I typically have to head through the gorge and follow the Oregon and California coasts down until I get south of snow/ice. A fly/rent trip would also be of serious interest to me. Your timing of going after the holidays would work great for me.

Most of my riding is solo, all of my longest days, but once in a while you find another rider who likes to travel as you do: same speeds; same distances; same type of roads; similar off bike activities. Then it's a joy to have someone to travel with and visit with at the end of the day. I learned early though to pick your traveling companions carefully. A good friend doesn't necessarily make a good riding companion.

I ride with 3 other guys and it is more of a get together than a bike trip. They don't like to get going until 9 am, stop all the time, don't do dirt roads, and worry how much hotels cost so we end up fighting bugs.
Solo is my preferred method and I really enjoy exploring.
I plan on a trip to Alaska next year solo and they started talking about going with me, told then noway!
I need to get out and unwind, think, and live.

I ride with 3 other guys and it is more of a get together than a bike trip. They don't like to get going until 9 am, stop all the time, don't do dirt roads, and worry how much hotels cost so we end up fighting bugs.
Solo is my preferred method and I really enjoy exploring.
I plan on a trip to Alaska next year solo and they started talking about going with me, told then noway!
I need to get out and unwind, think, and live.

Good on you for going it solo! I grew up in Alaska, and have made several trips to/from. On the last trip up I ended up leaving two traveling companions in Whitehorse. Their negativity and lack of preparation was just too much for me to endure, and I didn't want to ruin their trip any more than I wanted to allow them to ruin mine.

It is entirely beyond me how anyone can be unhappy when they are on a bike trip. While they are riding and enjoying the trip there are people all over the world punching time clocks for jobs they really can't stand. I have one really good friend that I have enjoyed some trips with, including a Bun Burner Gold. He is the kind of guy that would have to have broken bone sticking through his skin before he would even consider whining. This coming Friday I am getting away on my bike for a few weeks of traveling solo, I am almost giddy with excitement.

If you would like any help with Alaska route planning, or would like to know about some out of the way cool places that you won't find in any of the books or guides, shoot me a message. I lived up there for over 30 years.

Seems I ride solo for most of the reasons posted above: no local riders interested, like riding alone, enjoy the people I meet. Also I have a prostate problem and have to pee so frequently it would drive a companion mad!

Seems I ride solo for most of the reasons posted above: no local riders interested, like riding alone, enjoy the people I meet. Also I have a prostate problem and have to pee so frequently it would drive a companion mad!

Jim, try eating a tablespoon of whole cranberry's each day. It sure has helped me!

Ken

my wife who is my pillion and i mostly travel solo. we have been doing this for years and found that you can stop when you want and go where and when you want, also when you stop to get gas, lunch or at campgrounds people will come and talk to you,they will want to know about your trip and will give you valuable info on what to see and where is a good camp site in their area. we enjoy solo rides

pat and cecilia

1200RT

5 years ago I convinced my wife to join me on a long motorcycle trip. We went from Edmonton to Green River, Wy via Cutbank, Mt and Idaho Falls, Id. About a week after we got back, she told me that she would never do that again. She was bored on the back of the bike. She hasn't been on the back of my bike since, not even for simple afternoon rides for ice cream.

Generally speaking, I prefer to ride alone. That way I can set my own pace, go where I want to go and generally have only myself to worry about.

...she told me that she would never do that again.

Hey Robert, good to see you back on the board. :thumb

My wife is scared of bikes, but she enjoys touring in our summer car, so I'm good.

I ride solo about half the time, and enjoy being able to set my own pace, and making fewer stops. I start early and skip breakfast, which is no fun for my buddies. :D

Last edited:
Riding Solo

I ride solo most of the time because I prefer it as well. Many reasons:
* I'm not distracted worrying about what the other riders I'm with are doing
* I can stop when I want and keep going when I want
* I can only worry about how much gas my bike uses and make gas stops on my schedule
* I often ride at speeds either faster or slower than other riders I know depending on the situation
* I find I concentrate better on the road itself when I'm traveling by myself as I know no one will be there to help me when I make a mistake
* I like to take photographs and don't want to burden anyone else with what I like to see
* I haven't found anyone who feels EXACTLY the way I do about riding and is completely sympatico with me and my riding style
* I listen to music and don't want to have to be interrupted by communications between riders
.....and so on....

BTW I've been riding for about 40 years now and just like scuba diving, riding alone sharpens my skills further and makes me want to continue riding for all of my life.
Does that make sense?

I ride solo most of the time because I prefer it as well. Many reasons:
* I'm not distracted worrying about what the other riders I'm with are doing
* I can stop when I want and keep going when I want
* I can only worry about how much gas my bike uses and make gas stops on my schedule
* I often ride at speeds either faster or slower than other riders I know depending on the situation
* I find I concentrate better on the road itself when I'm traveling by myself as I know no one will be there to help me when I make a mistake
* I like to take photographs and don't want to burden anyone else with what I like to see
* I haven't found anyone who feels EXACTLY the way I do about riding and is completely sympatico with me and my riding style
* I listen to music and don't want to have to be interrupted by communications between riders
.....and so on....

BTW I've been riding for about 40 years now and just like scuba diving, riding alone sharpens my skills further and makes me want to continue riding for all of my life.
Does that make sense?

There are no perfect riding companions, but I've ridden 1000 miles or more with random strangers, and every group ride I've ever been on has been open to a parting of the ways mid-flight. I say so up front -- no hard feelings and I have and would ride with them again.

Back