• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R 1200RT Research

jamiekimble

I'm new to the BMW Forum and as with most forums, this is probably the best place to conduct research beyond technical data and magazine reviews. I'm new to the metric world, so I have limited experience with BMW machines. That being said, I do as much riding as job/family permit and each year I make a run of 4k - 7k miles. So touring is my preference and I've been researching Sport Touring bikes. Mainly the Kawasaki Concours, Triumph Trophy SE and the 1200RT. All decent bikes with characteristics that would probably create a pretty good debate, however I keep landing on BMW as the preference. Sounds like the 2014 is the first year for a water cooled attribute, and after running through a few deserts, seems like a good thing to have for more efficient cooling. I'm also guessing that is where the term Wethead originated, thus I turn to the experts for some feedback.

Riding position, storage, ride height (low seat for my 32" inseam), windscreen height, etc all capture my needs to tour as I do today. Obviously the recall caught my attention when I went to the dealer, but as with all things mechanical, it happens. So at this point I would be ordering a 2015 since they go into production in August and there is still a "stop sale" on the 2014's. My real question revolves around the rider experience (good/bad) with this particular bike and it is geared properly for long highway runs. I'd like to be able to actually hear the music while riding on the highway at 75mph and not be overwhelmed by exhaust note. That is the rider experience I am seeking to understand before I make the purchase. I appreciate any feedback and apologize for seeking information that has probably been socialized previously in this forum.

Jamie Kimble
Jupiter, FL

Welcome to the forum, Jamie.
I can't say from "personal experience" with "this particular" bike, but I have NO qualms saying:
Yes, being an RT, it will be geared just fine for all-day high-speed cruising, and the stock exhaust will be quiet enough to hear your music. Music may be improved by changing the height of the windscreen or going after-market; there are already a bunch of posts from members discussing the various windscreens' attributes. Helmet aerodynamics and innards also may affect the quality of the music.
(I just sing to myself, it scares off the birds.)

.... And I don't see you needing any type low seat. The 14' is lower than the preceding model years in OEM stature.

"travel'n" john
13' RT

Try an R1200RT before you decide

Welcome to the Forum, Jamie,

I ride 10-15K miles per year, like you I often take at least one longer trip each year, and regularly commute to/from work. I have ridden my 2009 R1200RT (factory low seat/low suspension) to both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts (from Michigan) more than once and I'm pleased with its long distance comfort, gearing, luggage capacity and ergonomics. It has plenty of HP to merge onto the interstate and is a joy to ride in the twisties. Put the bags and top case on and you have a great touring bike. Take them off and it takes on the personality of a sport bike. It's probably the most versatile bike I've owned.

I recently purchased the 2014 R1200RT and can tell you that in its lowest position, is NOT as low as my 2009 model. I'm 5"2" with a 28.5 inseam - and much more on tip toes on the 2014 than on the 2009. The seat looks lower but feels wider. I suspect you may enjoy the standard seat with your longer inseam. I rode my new bike less than 200 miles before the recall, but was immediately impressed with how much smoother it was than my older 2009 model (which I already regarded much smoother than either my F650GS or my R1200CLC). The gearing was an especially pleasant surprise during low speed maneuvers in parking lots.

One of my key reasons for choosing BMW was the many safety features (ABS, ASC stability control, telelever, etc. Naturally, I'm disappointed by the recall, but I'm looking forward to riding it again soon. I was pleased with BMW's proactive approach to getting the word out about this possible safety issue. I have been contacted early and often by my dealer - a safety feature that I hadn't even considered, but now value greatly.

I suggest you visit a local BMW dealer and take one of the recent prior years model years for a test ride. It will give you some idea what you might expect in comparison to the other brands you're looking at. Then just know that the new model is even better. In my opinion it's well worth the wait.

In case you hadn't noticed, BMW MOA's national Rally is in St. Paul MN later this month. That might be a great place to find even more current R1200RT owners. There's sure to be a lot of them there!

Good luck with your search. Be sure and let us know what you decide.

Tracy

Many thanks for the reception.

These are the exact perspectives I?m looking for, so I appreciate the candor. The RT does seem to be a multipurpose bike, so it is good to know that the highway demeanor is good. Living in Florida, I don?t have much twisty action until I get out of the state, so I?m stuck with the highway blasts, or ?utility riding? as I like to call it. I?m not a fast rider by any stretch, but power is needed to merge/pass etc and the K1600 is a little much for my needs and too heavy. The sound of the bike is interesting to me. Completely different than my Twin Cam or Evo HD bikes but that is really apples and oranges in my mind.
I?ll dig around on the forum to get the feedback on the GPS, but it looks like there is no real option other than buy BMW?s model. Sometimes that can be an advantage when integrated into the bike properly.

Is the sport exhaust option worth the cost, or is that just a good way to write a bigger check to the dealer ?

Thanks again for your perspective.

Jamie

My two cents

I have been riding an F800GS for almost 6 years. Now the kids are getting older and my wife is showing more interest in joining me for rides. She is a tiny woman but the 800GS does not work for a long day of riding with both of us. The limited baggage capability two up was also an issue.

She said she wanted a bigger bike to ride with me. I wasn't going to argue so took off a day and went to the dealer for a test ride of the 1200GS. I was surprised how the new 1220 didn't blow me away. I had read the reviews. Seen the Bike of the Year articles. Was not sure that the bike was worth the extra money over the 800GS. The salesman told me to do myself a favor and take out the 1200 RT since I was there.

I made up my mind before I even left the parking lot. The bike made that big of an impression that fast. I placed a deposit on a Tuesday for one in the pipeline and the Stop Ride situation happened that Thursday. So I have limited miles but was wowed by my first impression. You need to ride it and compare it the the other models you are considering.

As I sit here now the saga has gone on for a month. My bike was one of the 2014s whose production was cancelled. I lucked out and one of the customers ahead of me at my dealership cancelled their order because they didn't want to wait an undefined amount of time. Their bike was still in production so my name was moved to that bike. Then on Thurs I got a call from the dealership saying they got their initial allocation for 2015 and wanted to know if I would like to move my deposit to one of them.

I am going with the 2015. I want the bike but I still have something else to ride for the riding I have planned. I thought about getting my deposit back and going with a different bike. I was pretty thorough with my research after I changed my mind on the 1200GS. I struggled with the transition to a tourer with all the plastic. Nothing else seems to check the boxes like the RT. I was intrigued with the 1600GT after reading some of the posts related to the Stop ride and talking to one gentleman who made the move. Without the credit toward the new bike it was too big of a step moneywise for my comfort.

After reading these threads the past month one suggestion I would make is to also consider your dealer and the relationship you are going to have with the. It seems like some of the more frustrated people are the ones with dealers who aren't taking care of their customers like they feel they should. I can understand that. It has only been a month. In corporate time that is nothing. BMW NA stepped up with a generous program that appears to be unmatched by any other country. I find some comfort in that as a customer. That shows to me a significant effort. The execution has not been seamless but everybody is figuring this out along the way.

Good luck with the decision.

I'm new to the BMW Forum and as with most forums, this is probably the best place to conduct research beyond technical data and magazine reviews. I'm new to the metric world, so I have limited experience with BMW machines. That being said, I do as much riding as job/family permit and each year I make a run of 4k - 7k miles. So touring is my preference and I've been researching Sport Touring bikes. Mainly the Kawasaki Concours, Triumph Trophy SE and the 1200RT. All decent bikes with characteristics that would probably create a pretty good debate, however I keep landing on BMW as the preference. Sounds like the 2014 is the first year for a water cooled attribute, and after running through a few deserts, seems like a good thing to have for more efficient cooling. I'm also guessing that is where the term Wethead originated, thus I turn to the experts for some feedback.

Riding position, storage, ride height (low seat for my 32" inseam), windscreen height, etc all capture my needs to tour as I do today. Obviously the recall caught my attention when I went to the dealer, but as with all things mechanical, it happens. So at this point I would be ordering a 2015 since they go into production in August and there is still a "stop sale" on the 2014's. My real question revolves around the rider experience (good/bad) with this particular bike and it is geared properly for long highway runs. I'd like to be able to actually hear the music while riding on the highway at 75mph and not be overwhelmed by exhaust note. That is the rider experience I am seeking to understand before I make the purchase. I appreciate any feedback and apologize for seeking information that has probably been socialized previously in this forum.

Jamie Kimble
Jupiter, FL

And it seems to be happening all too often lately. I would seriously consider waiting a few years before purchasing any new BWM model. The 2013 GS has already had three recalls and the RT has been grounded. It does not seem like there is any quality control. It is almost as though we are being used for product testing and quality control. It was a rider in France that first discovered the defective shock when the suspension collapsed. The French rider only had 700 miles on the bike. Later a rider in Sweden lost another suspension. http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/07/03/manufacturers/bmw/2014-bmw-r1200rt-officially-recalled-us/

RTs are great bikes when they are working as intended. For a medium or long distance ride, you can't get a better handling bike. It has plenty of power for passing and they love to lean into the curves. But I will never buy a new BMW model that has not been on the market for at least 2 years, and even then I'll be very cautious. I waited a year to buy my 2006 only to have two final drives and a fuel pump fail. I guess the fuel strip is next. But I love the bike and intend to keep it.

E.

I am an early adopter

Reading this thread I came to the realization that my last 10 cars and bikes were In their first year of production or after a major update. I have not had any issues that were more than a minor inconvience. This RT issue is the first one that has had an impact on my plans.

The most frustrating vehicle I have ever owned and dealt with was a Honda Odyssey. Even the "Best" vehicles have lemons.

I can live with those odds. Many people don't want the headaches. I look at it as get what you want and live with it. Nothing is perfect. There are no guarantees that a 2017 model won't have issues of one type or another resulting in a recall. While this is unprecendented in the motorcycle world I think it will be the new reality. In a litigious society and the internet driving public opinion on issues these things will not be pushed under the rug anymore.

Buy what is going to make you happy. That is what motorcycling is about.

Welcome.
I?ll dig around on the forum to get the feedback on the GPS, but it looks like there is no real option other than buy BMW?s model. Sometimes that can be an advantage when integrated into the bike properly.

Is the sport exhaust option worth the cost, or is that just a good way to write a bigger check to the dealer ?

Thanks again for your perspective.

Jamie

The bike will be wonderfully suited for highway cruising with its cruise control, wind protection ergonomics and adjustable windscreen with more than enough power. Since you ride in FL, the more open/less faired bikes are also an option and you owe it to yourself to try out all models from all makers you are interested in and give them a demo ride.

With the deals that will be available on unsold 2014 RT and no significant model changes for 2015, you can save some $$$ and get some options thrown in like the Nav 5 on the deal.

Be sure to check out the seat height configurator on the BMW Motorrad home page.
Seat Height Configl

The exhaust is a total wage of money, IMO. It will add some more noise, which you don't want, Save less than 3 lbs, add no performance gain, and it costs an arm and a leg. When Remus and some other makers come out with cans, there will be wider choice and cheaper alternatives if you decide you are looking for more noise.

Last edited:
Riding position, storage, ride height (low seat for my 32" inseam), windscreen height, etc all capture my needs to tour as I do today.
Jamie Kimble
Jupiter, FL

I have a 29" inseam and on the 2014, the regular seat set in the low position works fine. I can't flatfoot both feet but am close enough that I feel comfortable. On older RTs, I needed a low seat.

early adopter

I bought the first 2014 R1200RT that arrived in southern Arizona. After 274 miles, I got the no-ride warning. It has been in my garage ever since (see photo).

I an not happy with the no-ride situation, but I loved the bike while I could ride it.

I have a 2007 RT that runs fine, so I am in a better situation than some owners.

I look forward to the recall fix, which will likely arrived after the MOA rally.

waiting 1k.jpg

I think I'm on board with the bike. Analysis paralysis is beginning to set in. I put a deposit on a 2015. The Quartz Blue is gone and they are bringing in a new deeper two tone blue. Oddly enough, this new color of blue looks like one offered on the Triumph Trophy SE. The Grey Metallic looks good and will be easier to keep clean so that is my choice. In theory they go into production in August with an October delivery. That gives me plenty of time to debug the bike in preparation for my June/July ride up to Nova Scotia. Thanks for all of the feedback and keep it coming if there is more for a BMW bike newbie. Looking forward to a new bike experience !

Jamie

2015 RT Ordered - Timeline

On Tue, July 8, I ordered a 2015 RT. My dealer had two allocations. I watched as he plugged in the info into his dealer network and we configured the bike with the options I wanted. By the way, the option codes for the 2015 RT appear to be exactly the same as the 2014 RTs -- same confusing package combinations. The only true new option is the keyless ignition.

For those that have ordered a 2015 or will, your dealer should be able to provide you witha Production Number, which confirms your order has been received. And, your dealer's computer should show the production week your bike is scheduled for; in my case, my 2015 is scheduled to be produced during week 34 (Aug 18 - 24). This process is nearly identical to how BMW cars are ordered. If your dealer cannot provide you with these details, you may not actually have a true "place in line" for a new bike. Some dealers (auto and motorrad) have been known to tell customers they have placed an order, when in fact, the dealer is only waiting on additional allocations from BMW.

After your bike goes into code 150, it receives its VIN. Your dealer's computer network can show when the bike is completed, and exactly which container vessel it's on. And, using DHL's tracking website and your vehicle's VIN, you can follow its progress from the New Jersey port to your dealer.

Last edited:
OK, I'll say it. This would all be based on the presumption that the revised rear shocks are available in sufficient quantity at that time.......:brow

I don't think that will be an issue. After the huge publicity black eye BMW has suffered because of this, it's not going to do something as dumb as failing to make enough replacement rear shocks.

Let me also add that my dealer has provided a 2012 RT as a replacement. I'm awestruck by what a total transformation and improvement the 2014 is.

I have an 08 RT, and when I test rode the 14 RT, I could not believe how much, let me repeat HOW MUCH IMPROVEMENT has been made in this bike! I will be ordering a 2015, or look for a deal on a 14 (new or with low mileage). And yes, I want ALL THE OPTIONS.

Back