• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pin or bolt? 73 R75/5 LWB

kjmcd13

While riding today, I lost about half of the action in my clutch lever. I was thinking that the throwout bearing was failing. I was close to the interstate so I went straight home. Turns out the fastener that holds the clutch linkage to the clutch pushrod? had worked its way out and was missing. I looked in my manuals and the parts fische but didn't see it. Can anyone help a brother out?

Look on snobum's website. There's a $5 upgrade for that problem. I missed it when restoring my 74 R90/6 and it cost me serious bucks when I broke an ear off on the back cover of my tranny.

I replaced mine with a new and improved version from Max's (I believe) It has a shoulder/head that prevents it from falling out if you should somehow loose the retaining clip. Worth the few bucks IMHO.

On a /5, 4 speed transmission, there should be a cotter pin that fits thru a drilled hole in one of the cast ears on the back cover. That cotter pin fits in one of the grooves turned in the pivot pin to lock the pivot pin in place. In many cases, when the pivot starts to come out, a bind developes and one of the ears breaks off. If your bike has a later model 5 speed transmission, that is where the retaining circlip is used. Either way, a pivot pin that is migrating is never a good thing.

I have a /7, and the way I handled mine as I despised the clip holding the pin in place (and also didn't trust it) was to purchase a Stainless steel 8mm hex bolt with no threads below the head for about 1-1/4" (the width of the ear OD) and then sawed it off, and used a self locking nut on it to hold it in place. I made sure that when tightening, not to tighten down on the "ears" of the trans, but let the locking nut do the locking.

Has worked perfectly for thousands of miles. No clip to hastle with!

Back