• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlamps

fishbmw

Wondering if anyone else has been going through low beem bulbs rapidly on their F650/800GS bikes. I have had mine two years and just put in my second bulb on top of the original which only lasted about 8 months. Seems like a bulb a year is excessive. My '96 R1100GS has over 100,000 miles on it and changed bulbs once.

I've done one on the '09 F800GS (13000mi). Bulbs in general seem to last a bit less each time I have to change one :dunno
OM

My 09 R12GS has the same problem. I can go through a OEM or standard replacement bulb in under 6 months, sometimes 3; my record is 21 days. I bought a set of heavy duty bulbs through a local shop, distributed by Wixtech.com. They last well over a year, usually upwards of 18 months and have a lifetime replacement warranty direct from wixtech. Without the warranty (cost to me is $10 s/h) I would have moved to HID long ago.

The H-7 has a very tightly packed coil providing light. Halogen bulbs work by redepositing metal on the filament as it evaps in use. The filaments get fuzzy and sometimes weak in spots.

Bike vibrate a lot (especially F twins which have that incurable buzz all owners know about) and bulbs are very prone to blow at startup when current surges are happening.

And the rated life of std bubs is 500 hours which is typically cut in half on bikes.

So- no surprises you blow bulbs.

Go HID if you want to minimize changes but understand even HID tubes have a lifespan, are not infinite.

Has anyone tried LED light bulbs? I saw one at a bulb store and pass by as the price was about $60. Went back to get one and they were not handling them anymore.; It was an H7.

Even with "premium" bulbs thay only last about a year in my F800GS. And my high beam reflector is burning off and redepositing the coating in the glass front.

I replaced two low beams in the first six months I had my 2012 F650GS. Only two bulbs more since then, so my bulb life average is getting better. lol. I'm waiting on LED's! :)

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk HD
runnr548 :)

replaced 1st low at 20K or so, 2nd one blew about 2 years later. Replaced both lamps with HIDs. Great output, but too soon to tell on lifespan. The HIDs in my R1100S have over 12 years and nearly 100K miles on them- not a single component ever replaced.

The reflector coating issue on F bikes has been reported many times elsewhere- with stock bulbs or anything else. Of the top of my head I can recall seeing it reported on ST, GT and GS models and there is no reason to expect different on others.
Its not universal but not rare either.
It appears the lamp reflectors are marginal in ability to withstand operating heat or some other factor. Some have theorized its UV that is damaging the coating but I've seen no evidence to substantiate that.
Should be covered by warranty when bike is newer.

I've had many reflectors fail in humid conditions- especially Hellas older models (not any of the current FF designs). Whatever clear coating they used failed to keep humid air from rapidly fogging the aluminum reflective surface. But they didn't peel, blister, or redeposit elsewhere in the housing.

Back