• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT Rear Brake Caliper warm to the touch...

Recently had a incident where I lost the rear-most caliper bolt on my 2007 R1200RT upon exiting the freeway. Applying rear brakes caused the caliper to rotate (forward or clockwise) and the brake pads to lock-up (squeezed unevenly) on the rotor... Scary moment but thank goodness I was traveling a reduced speed by then.
After towing the bike home and inspected the rear brake, I took the caliper/pads off, cleaned them off, filed some "burrs" that had formed on the pads by the uneven-squeezing/lock-up, pushed the pistons back in and, reinstalled everything (including new bolt, washers and Lock-Tite(r) but same pads).
Went for a test ride and everything seems to be working great...
After yesterday's commute from work (freeway stop-n-go traffic, uhg!), I did a cursory check of the rear brake caliper and noticed that it was quite warm to the touch; not hot to give a burning sensation but, definitely warm. By comparision, the front calipers were cool to the touch.
I decided to ride the bike to work this morning (40 mile commute) without using the rear brakes. Traffic was light to I was able to do so and inspected/touched the caliper upon my arrival. Again, the caliper was warm to the touch but, not as warm as yesterday afternoon.
Should I be concerned?
Any comments/help is appreciated.
Regards,
Andre

Your bike has partially integrated brakes. Every time you squeeze the front lever you are applying some amount of rear braking in addition to front braking. In that manner you did not "ride without using the rear brake". That may explain why the caliper was warm to the touch.

Recently had a incident where I lost the rear-most caliper bolt on my 2007 R1200RT upon exiting the freeway. Applying rear brakes caused the caliper to rotate (forward or clockwise) and the brake pads to lock-up (squeezed unevenly) on the rotor... Scary moment but thank goodness I was traveling a reduced speed by then.
After towing the bike home and inspected the rear brake, I took the caliper/pads off, cleaned them off, filed some "burrs" that had formed on the pads by the uneven-squeezing/lock-up, pushed the pistons back in and, reinstalled everything (including new bolt, washers and Lock-Tite(r) but same pads).
Went for a test ride and everything seems to be working great...
After yesterday's commute from work (freeway stop-n-go traffic, uhg!), I did a cursory check of the rear brake caliper and noticed that it was quite warm to the touch; not hot to give a burning sensation but, definitely warm. By comparision, the front calipers were cool to the touch.
I decided to ride the bike to work this morning (40 mile commute) without using the rear brakes. Traffic was light to I was able to do so and inspected/touched the caliper upon my arrival. Again, the caliper was warm to the touch but, not as warm as yesterday afternoon.
Should I be concerned?
Any comments/help is appreciated.
Regards,
Andre

in my limited experience the rear caliper on my 2013 RT is slightly warm to the touch after a ride.....the pads ever so lightly touch the rotor which will cause some light friction...friction is heat....and since there is little if any airflow over the caliper unlike the front calipers i expect it to be warm, but not hot....

as a maintenance tip, i would flush the rear brake system if it has not been done in the last year.....two year interval is recommended, but i find that the once a year is easy and cheap....

now the real question is why did the caliper bolt fall out.....???

wyman

Makes sense...

Your bike has partially integrated brakes. Every time you squeeze the front lever you are applying some amount of rear braking in addition to front braking. In that manner you did not "ride without using the rear brake". That may explain why the caliper was warm to the touch.

I was wondering about this... makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.

Good question, eh?

in my limited experience the rear caliper on my 2013 RT is slightly warm to the touch after a ride.....the pads ever so lightly touch the rotor which will cause some light friction...friction is heat....and since there is little if any airflow over the caliper unlike the front calipers i expect it to be warm, but not hot....

as a maintenance tip, i would flush the rear brake system if it has not been done in the last year.....two year interval is recommended, but i find that the once a year is easy and cheap....

now the real question is why did the caliper bolt fall out.....???

wyman

I purchased the bike used last fall from a BMW dealer. I was a bit apprehensive about buying a bike with 41k miles on the odometer but the salesperson informed me that the bike had passed a "thorough inspection". I presumed all was well (i.e.: to specification) and in working (i.e.: safe) order... That's the risk sometimes when buying pre-owned things...
Having said this, I take all responsibility for not inspecting the bike on a more regular basis. I do now!
Thanks for the maintenance tip.
Safe riding,
Andre

Back