• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

motul oil

chunk

I was going to top up between changes and have this quart of Motul 3000. I use BMW oil generally, but didn't want to do a 100 mile trip to the nearest dealer just for a quart of BMW oil.
Any thoughts, any compatibility issues with the BMW oil? They are both non-synthetic and I don't think that would be a problem anyway. Thanks.

Attachments

• Motul-001.jpg
    Motul-001.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 263
I just did the same thing. Topped off with 1/2 quart and ran 450 miles before servicing at BMW dealer. They said no problem they could think of.

Mixing oils in great quantities would create problems I think...different additives reacting in different ways. Small amounts, probably not such a big deal. Remember clean oil is better than dirty oil, and dirty oil is better than no oil. :thumb

As far as I can tell from looking in a fair amount of places, all mineral and synthetic engine oil is compatible with all mineral and synthetic engine oil. That includes semi synthetic oil. The only exception, that I know of, is Castrol R which is not mineral or synthetic but made from plants (and thus not actually an exception). It used to smell great when used in two strokes. The only real problem is using auto oil in motorcycles with wet clutches, which doesn't include airheads.

This has been discussed before, but what do you consider "topping up"? Most people have reported that always bringing the oil level up to say the full mark only ensures that most of the added amount will just be "thrown off" anyway. Keeping the oil volume to the full mark lessens the air volume inside the engine and increase the tendency for the oil to be whipped up into a mist which goes out the breather. Leaving the oil around 1/2 stick might be a good compromise.

This has been discussed before, but what do you consider "topping up"? Most people have reported that always bringing the oil level up to say the full mark only ensures that most of the added amount will just be "thrown off" anyway. Keeping the oil volume to the full mark lessens the air volume inside the engine and increase the tendency for the oil to be whipped up into a mist which goes out the breather. Leaving the oil around 1/2 stick might be a good compromise.

Took me years to figure that out with my first airhead.

My Guzzi's use 10W-60 Motorex synthetic. Always had a half quart leftover. I would mix that with a qt of Honda 10-30 when I'd change the oil in the Honda Rebel. 30,000 miles on the Rebel now, no problems.

My Guzzi's use 10W-60 Motorex synthetic. Always had a half quart leftover. I would mix that with a qt of Honda 10-30 when I'd change the oil in the Honda Rebel. 30,000 miles on the Rebel now, no problems.

Yeah, I did a lot research and concluded that there aren't any compatibility issues. The Motul oil is SG rated and should be fine for top off between changes. Cheers.

Oil Brands?

I will usually leave that oil level about 1/8" below the full mark. And have mixed brands before. I would assume that if the oil meets the same API spec's., there should be no problem. Although my BMW riding partner raised his Germanic eyebrow when I once poured YamaLube into that Teutonic engine. At least they were both members of the Axis powers in WW2. Could probably even use Ducati or Guzzi oil in them.

I was going to top up between changes and have this quart of Motul 3000. I use BMW oil generally, but didn't want to do a 100 mile trip to the nearest dealer just for a quart of BMW oil.
Any thoughts, any compatibility issues with the BMW oil? They are both non-synthetic and I don't think that would be a problem anyway. Thanks.

Chuck, Just catching up on some of the threads and you didn't say what year or model of an Airhead?Reason I ask is that can make a huge difference on what type of oils you may or may not want to utilize.

The R90S ran great with Yamalube 10w-50 semi-synthetic. The only reason it has something else now is that my riding buddy left his position as the parts dept. manager at a big four motorcycle dealer.

I will usually leave that oil level about 1/8" below the full mark. And have mixed brands before. I would assume that if the oil meets the same API spec's., there should be no problem. Although my BMW riding partner raised his Germanic eyebrow when I once poured YamaLube into that Teutonic engine. At least they were both members of the Axis powers in WW2. Could probably even use Ducati or Guzzi oil in them.

Chuck, Just catching up on some of the threads and you didn't say what year or model of an Airhead?Reason I ask is that can make a huge difference on what type of oils you may or may not want to utilize.

1976 r75/6..... Chunk.

Attachments

• Bmw-750.jpg
    Bmw-750.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 56
Mixing oils in great quantities would create problems I think...different additives reacting in different ways. Small amounts, probably not such a big deal. Remember clean oil is better than dirty oil, and dirty oil is better than no oil. :thumb

I wondered why my French fries tasted funny...

Airhead dipstick reading

I think most of the gurus will say warm oil level is good about 1/4" below full, on kickstand....no??

Back