• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 1200gs

michaellmcc

I have a bottle of BMW Motorrad Super Synthetic Gear Oil GL-5, 75W140, (in a beautiful red color!) that I used on my 2012 GS final drive. A quart lasts a long time.

I now have a 2014 GSW that calls for a similar GL-5 spec, but the weight specified is 75W90. Truth be told, it may have been that for the 2012 as well, but perhaps my dealer recommended the 75W140. Don't recall.

Happy to avoid the torque wrench and gear oil brand debate! Just one simple question - what's the expert opinion regarding use of 75W140 instead of 75W90?

Don't. But I'm not an expert. I only play one on the internet. :nyah

I really don't know if it will make a difference. I don't think there is enough experience with the wethead FDs to know the failure modes. The current most commonly reported failure mode for the hexheads seems to be a failure of the large bearing. Since that bearing is NOT in an oil bath (it's on the dry side of an oil seal) I can't see how lube selection makes any difference.

FWIW this is what I used for my wethead FD on the 12K service

p-141731445-1469.jpg

One use bottle of the recommended Castrol SAF-XO with fill spout for about $10. Expensive for oil, but convenient as all get out. The bottle holds 207 ml. I probably put in about 200 ml by not attempting to completely drain the bottle. I don't think the extra 20 ml over spec will hurt anything. Also, about 200 ml is what I drained. That's what the dealer installed during the 600 mile service.

I really don't know if it will make a difference. I don't think there is enough experience with the wethead FDs to know the failure modes. The current most commonly reported failure mode for the hexheads seems to be a failure of the large bearing. Since that bearing is NOT in an oil bath (it's on the dry side of an oil seal) I can't see how lube selection makes any difference.

p-141731445-1469.jpg

One use bottle of the recommended Castrol SAF-XO with fill spout for about $10. Expensive for oil, but convenient as all get out. The bottle holds 207 ml. I probably put in about 200 ml by not attempting to completely drain the bottle. I don't think the extra 20 ml over spec will hurt anything. Also, about 200 ml is what I drained. That's what the dealer installed during the 600 mile service.

140 is to much for the finale drive big bearing, i run 70/90 with the guzzi moly additive. quarter million miles, i do use 140 in gearbox. just my preference. but what do i know,,,

Thanks Marchyman

p-141731445-1469.jpg

I do like the single use bottle. I guess its $10 cost is not too painful considering it's a $20k + motorcycle! I'll just go that way with the recommended gear oil and avoid the debate altogether.

Looks like a trip to the recycler is in order - I just pulled 5-6 partially-used containers of different lube oils out of my cabinet. Another reason to go single use where I can!

140 is to much for the finale drive big bearing

Irrelevant. The final drive big bearing is NOT in the oil.

OK, I am making an assumption that the wethead FD is roughly the same as that on the hexheads other than which side of the bike it is on. The parts fiche doesn't go into that much detail. :bluduh

Irrelevant. The final drive big bearing is NOT in the oil.

OK, I am making an assumption that the wethead FD is roughly the same as that on the hexheads other than which side of the bike it is on. The parts fiche doesn't go into that much detail. :bluduh

It's on the correct side...like the K-wedges.:laugh:laugh:laugh

The original quantity was 220ml...then went with 180ml by the trouble shooter engineers at BMW .I wouldn't revert to more than that unless a service bulletin or a NEW model manual said to...but that is me and replacing a few outer seals on 05-07'S that ran the 220 amount. The vent now on the units may allow some wiggle room, but ...
I started buying the small XO bottles, but still measure in a beaker to 180ml

140 has never been recommended for the drive

I keep hearing about the transmission lube in the Wetheads... Doesn't the transmission share the same oil as the crankcase? Or is it just the clutch? Or am I totally wrong?

Greg

I keep hearing about the transmission lube in the Wetheads... Doesn't the transmission share the same oil as the crankcase? Or is it just the clutch? Or am I totally wrong?

Greg
For wetheads, engine oil = clutch oil = transmission oil. Final drive is different though.

For wetheads, engine oil = clutch oil = transmission oil. Final drive is different though.

So I guess those folks that keep referring to the transmission being a different weight/type are just having a hard time breaking from a 100 years of tradition ;)

Back