• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200GS running rough

beemer01

Abruptly at the end of a 12,000 mile trip the engine began to idle rough, required elevated PRMs to stay lit in traffic, hard start, misfired when it does run.

New premium NGK plugs 13,000 miles ago.

44,000 miles on engine.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Did this start after a fill up? Could be water in your gas. If that's the case put some HEET in the tank and that should take care of it.
Other thought would be a bad plug or coil cap. Did you check to make sure all the coil caps are on tightly? One might have come loose, or be failing.
Last thing, look for obvious air leaks such as a cracked rubber intake tube or something loose.

I have a 2011 R1200GS and it says to change the plugs every 20,000 km. Maybe you need new plugs, as they sound like they are somewhat overdue. I have noticed observable electrode wear when I have changed mine.

If you have a GS-911 you could try resetting the adaptations.

Good luck,

David McDougall

Given the symptoms - my immediate thought is one of the stick coils - a primary - has failed. Unfortunately the ECU doesn't store misfire codes.. so you can't diagnose this with the GS-911. The factory way to diagnose it is to replace the coils one at a time with known good ones. Have a friend nearby with a hexhead? Ask if you can visit and swap coils one at a time.

FWIW - someone else recently had the same symptoms (a search should turn it up) - and a new coil fixed it. The stick coils live in a very hot environment and are really run close to their limit. Having them fail isn't a surprise since they do it with regularity on German automobiles..

Thanks Guys -

I did ride thru very bad storms that last day, it sure seems possible that I got some contaminated gas in the tank, so will try the HEET first and keep your appraised!

Given the symptoms - my immediate thought is one of the stick coils - a primary - has failed. Unfortunately the ECU doesn't store misfire codes.. so you can't diagnose this with the GS-911. The factory way to diagnose it is to replace the coils one at a time with known good ones. Have a friend nearby with a hexhead? Ask if you can visit and swap coils one at a time.

FWIW - someone else recently had the same symptoms (a search should turn it up) - and a new coil fixed it. The stick coils live in a very hot environment and are really run close to their limit. Having them fail isn't a surprise since they do it with regularity on German automobiles..

+1 Have had this happen on a couple of older GSs'. New coils and all was well.

I did ride thru very bad storms that last day, it sure seems possible that I got some contaminated gas in the tank, so will try the HEET first and keep your appraised!

I'm unclear on how storms = contaminated gas.. contaminated gas is blamed for lots of things and is actually rarely the answer..

Sea Foam might work better than Heet if there's junk in the fuel...

To troubleshoot a potentially bad stick coil - catch it in the act, then just unplug the little harness connector at the top of the coil. If that doesn't cause the engine to drop idle RPM, that coil is bad.

To troubleshoot a potentially bad stick coil - catch it in the act, then just unplug the little harness connector at the top of the coil. If that doesn't cause the engine to drop idle RPM, that coil is bad.
That will work - it will likely cause the engine to run rougher if the coil is good - or stall. The steppers should try to maintain the idle speed. The one that doesn't cause a change in the engine running quality IS the bad one.

One caveat - be VERY careful with the little tab that holds the connector to the coil - it is fragile and rough treatment will break it.

Back