• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cell phone GPS

jeffd

Has anyone come across a good GPS app for your android cell phone that lets you set your route or download from your computer? Been looking around on the cell phone play store for apps but have not found anything that looks decent.
Thanks,
Jeff

CoPilot Premium works well. I'm not sure about the current price, but it often goes on sale for ten or twelve dollars. Maps are stored on your phone, so cell service is only used for optional live traffic information. This is what I use with my Samsung Galaxy S2 and a RAM mount clamp. I use it primarily for navigating unfamiliar urban areas, where the turn-by turn voice instructions via bluetooth are invaluable. I prefer to use a map and a handwritten list of route number changes on my tank bag for most navigation.

Routes can be created with Tyre(free) and then converted to CoPilot's .trp format with routeconverter. Getting a specific bike-friendly route takes some careful editing on the PC, but it works. A "flyover" via Google satellite maps can help avoid gravel roads.

Sounds like what I am looking for. A lot of my routes are county or township roads and not marked very well. I usually end up getting lost out in the boonies, not that that is all bad. Thanks for the tip.
Jeff

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I just started playing with CoPilot a few weeks ago. I like the flexibility to create your route with via points that you can add/remove and shuffle up/down. Point-Of-Interest database looks pretty decent so far.

However, there is one major problem: All phones and tablets are hard to read in sunlight. They don't come with so-called transflective displays like handheld GPS devices. Also there is the issue of not being waterproof. So mounting a phone/tablet on the handlebar is not a perfect solution.

/Guenther

I am not real concerned with seeing the screen as long as I have good voice commands. I usually just put my phone in the tank bag at the first hint of rain.

Actually, my new phone is somewhat waterproof. IP67. They say it can be submerged for 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet. Don't have any plans on testing that.

I prefer having my phone in the inside-pocket of my jacket, in case the bike and I should find ourselves going in different directions and I wind up with broken legs or worse.

Back