• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"New BMW Owner" I want to get an intercom system !!!

lkutz

Well I finally relieved my frustrations of not being able to go where ever I wanted on a motorcycle. Just turning 50 and riding a Harley for half my life, I bought a 2014 1200GSA. Not only do I not worry about road conditions, but this bike is more comfortable than my Dyna Wide Glide. I love my new GS.

So this thing has a Navigation system with GPS, Media Player and Blue Tooth. I would like some input on an intercom system that will work with my BMW. I also would like some input regarding if helmets come with these things in them, do I need to install the intercom system? Are there helmets that are more intercom friendly? Are they all battery operated?

I feel you can't get better advice from people that use the products, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Larry

The discussion begins & ends with SENA. I believe the BMW system, the Schuberth system, and the Nolan system are all based on Scala Rider technology. It is way behind the curve. SENA regularly updates firmware via USB, integrates with other systems now, is easier to use with the jog dial, the list goes on. SENA supports in ear monitors as well, so you can get your custom molds with 2 drivers to work with it. RKA, who makes custom bags, is a dealer & very knowledgeable as well.

The discussion begins & ends with SENA. I believe the BMW system, the Schuberth system, and the Nolan system are all based on Scala Rider technology. It is way behind the curve. SENA regularly updates firmware via USB, integrates with other systems now, is easier to use with the jog dial, the list goes on. SENA supports in ear monitors as well, so you can get your custom molds with 2 drivers to work with it. RKA, who makes custom bags, is a dealer & very knowledgeable as well.

I concur that Sena is the current leader.

I recently had to buy a Scala Rider G9x to replace my G4 that died. The only reason I did so was that all my riding buddies have Scalas so intercom compatibility was vital. We now have reports that the Sena is intercom compatible with the Scalas so buying the Sena is the way to go.

Lee

You will get many responses to this. For me the clear answer is Scala Rider. My wife and I have been using ours for 5 years and they have been great. I don't get many phone calls but when I do the caller thinks I'm in my living room. Battery life is very long. I charged my Scala once before a 3 week trip and it lasted the whole time. You do not need to spend a lot of money (you all ready did). They will work with any helmet. Hook up and operation is a no brainier. No buttons or wires, when you want to say something to the wife just talk.

Hey John, Thank you. Does the battery last long also?

You will get many responses to this. For me the clear answer is Scala Rider. My wife and I have been using ours for 5 years and they have been great. I don't get many phone calls but when I do the caller thinks I'm in my living room. Battery life is very long. I charged my Scala once before a 3 week trip and it lasted the whole time. You do not need to spend a lot of money (you all ready did). They will work with any helmet. Hook up and operation is a no brainier. No buttons or wires, when you want to say something to the wife just talk.

Holy smokes!!! That is a long long battery life. I wonder if the others can do that?

Larry

We currently use a "wired" Autocom unit which is fabulous, but would also like to have the wireless advantages as well. We tried the Schubert system and were unimpressed (and sold it at a loss). We've been looking at the Sena. My questions: Is there any lag when you begin to speak or does the first sound activate the VOX and the first word is lost? Can you turn off the VOX so there is no lag, and if you do, does wind and engine noise interfere? I want to hear my wife shout "deer!"immediately and not miss the warning because the VOX was not open.

Thanks!

We currently use a "wired" Autocom unit which is fabulous, but would also like to have the wireless advantages as well. We tried the Schubert system and were unimpressed (and sold it at a loss). We've been looking at the Sena. My questions: Is there any lag when you begin to speak or does the first sound activate the VOX and the first word is lost? Can you turn off the VOX so there is no lag, and if you do, does wind and engine noise interfere? I want to hear my wife shout "deer!"immediately and not miss the warning because the VOX was not open.

Thanks!

LOL "Deer"!!!! I live in northern Wisconsin....... I know all about that!!!!!

Hey that sounds like a pretty nice unit also. I really don't complicated setups. I would hate the idea of having to learn the system over again every year.

PS I got my bike to leave the wife behind.....:)

Larry

We've been looking at the Sena. My questions: Is there any lag when you begin to speak or does the first sound activate the VOX and the first word is lost? Can you turn off the VOX so there is no lag, and if you do, does wind and engine noise interfere? I want to hear my wife shout "deer!"immediately and not miss the warning because the VOX was not open.

If you are relying on the VOX to active the intercom link, there is a definite delay. You will always miss the first word which activates the link. Figure on about 2 seconds to activate the link and start talking to each other.

The only workaround is to not use the VOX at all, but keep the intercom link continuously active using the Channel A or B buttons. Of course this overrides any music being played from a phone or mp3 player to either rider.

Once the intercom link is activated, wind noise can be an issue if the other rider is using an open face helmet as his/her mic is exposed to the wind. Closed faced/modular helmets don't have this issue. I've never heard the engine sound from the other rider regardless of what type of helmet the other rider used and this includes Harley riders with open exhausts.

Again, I once was a big fan of Scala, but their technology has been surpassed by Sena in the last year or so.

I don't know if the BMW media player Bluetooth system is Garmin system based, but there is a current issue that music from Garmin Zumo 66x series GPSs will not play with the latest and greatest Scala Rider G9X. Both Garmin and Scala have known about this for several months and neither has offered a solution yet.

Thank You

Thank you for all the input guys. It helped a lot. I ended up buying the Sena SMH10 duel set with optional mikes. SWEET !!!!!

Thanks Again,

Larry

Thank you for all the input guys. It helped a lot. I ended up buying the Sena SMH10 duel set with optional mikes. SWEET !!!!!

Thanks Again,

Larry

When you get it, you can chose to set it up as VOX or push start. I like push. Also, you can charge it in your tank bag, as they give you a cig charger. You will not be disappointed. If you ever go to in-ear monitors, you can get a different headset to plug in. The dual mode one is a miss IMO, as the speakers still use a plug. I used the non-boom mike, as I do not have a flip helmet.

Love it. You will love the jog dial.

Also, make sure to use ear plugs. You can hear the speakers over them.

Ditto sena, bought different cradles for different helmets. We use the push button for intercom. The wind noise sets off vox, either or wife loves because she can listen to her music. We both it. Easy to get phone calls and directions from google maps come over with the iPhone. No gadgets clustering up the dash.

Just some comments on Autocom and VOX.
I've had an Autocom for (I suspect ) 10 years. 10 years of trouble free service moving across 3 bikes. Tell me about another electronic device that has that durability on a motorcycle. Have been very happy with it. Can only expect the newest units from Autocom are even better.

Wired vs. wireless. Yes, wireless would be very nice - don't have to wait for the S.O. to plug in. But, wireless needs batteries, right? And when I'm doing BIG miles X-C, I don't want to spend time switching batteries. And, my XM gets to the helmet through the Autocom. So I suspect that 20 hour days of music and weather would drain a wireless system. A big issue, no - managable - but I'm happy with a tether. Lots of good comments on the SENA unit and can respect that - the battery issue is the deal breaker for me.

VOX - there is a delay, but it's very slight. I would clearly get the message of 'DEER' from the S.O. At worse, in casual conversation, you may need to say 'what?', but we easily get that all figured out quickly.

What he said.

SENA - +1 ! :thumb

Ear Plugs?

When you get it, you can chose to set it up as VOX or push start. I like push. Also, you can charge it in your tank bag, as they give you a cig charger. You will not be disappointed. If you ever go to in-ear monitors, you can get a different headset to plug in. The dual mode one is a miss IMO, as the speakers still use a plug. I used the non-boom mike, as I do not have a flip helmet.

Love it. You will love the jog dial.

Also, make sure to use ear plugs. You can hear the speakers over them.

:clap Thx John for the input.

When you said, "Make sure you use earplugs." what did you mean by that?

Larry

Just some comments on Autocom and VOX.
I've had an Autocom for (I suspect ) 10 years. 10 years of trouble free service moving across 3 bikes. Tell me about another electronic device that has that durability on a motorcycle. Have been very happy with it. Can only expect the newest units from Autocom are even better.

Wired vs. wireless. Yes, wireless would be very nice - don't have to wait for the S.O. to plug in. But, wireless needs batteries, right? And when I'm doing BIG miles X-C, I don't want to spend time switching batteries. And, my XM gets to the helmet through the Autocom. So I suspect that 20 hour days of music and weather would drain a wireless system. A big issue, no - managable - but I'm happy with a tether. Lots of good comments on the SENA unit and can respect that - the battery issue is the deal breaker for me.

VOX - there is a delay, but it's very slight. I would clearly get the message of 'DEER' from the S.O. At worse, in casual conversation, you may need to say 'what?', but we easily get that all figured out quickly.

I hate playing the "Battery Game" myself !!!!! But you can also use it while charging....... I think I read that somewhere.

Larry

Back