• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'87 K75s speedometer problems

Jbuffalo

I have bought a few used speedometers in an attempt to fix the speedometer/instrument gauges on a 1987 K75s, none work now. What years would fit a 1987 K75s? 1984 to what year gauges? Next step is to send one off to one of the two better known shops for a repair. thanks

If you have a few try fixing one yourself. I still have the original on mine, though the connections have been cleaned and several gears replaced. Lots of info on repairing them.

I have bought a few used speedometers in an attempt to fix the speedometer/instrument gauges on a 1987 K75s, none work now. What years would fit a 1987 K75s? 1984 to what year gauges? Next step is to send one off to one of the two better known shops for a repair. thanks

You want a cluster that has a gas pump symbol next to the right hand light at the bottom of the speedo but not next to the left light ('86 and later).

You do not want the clusters that have several white horizontal lines across the bottom of the gauges (4valve bikes).

I believe all others will work on a non ABS bike (86-95). ABS bikes need clusters wired for ABS.

Are you getting NO speedo now? I thought you were getting double readings.

Try removing the speed sensor from the final drive. Take a soldering gun or iron and hold it (turned on) within 1/4" of the end of the sensor (DON'T LET IT TOUCH). Withthe key and kill switch on, the 60 cycles from the AC current should cause your speedo to read 45 mph if everything is working.

:dance:dance:dance

K75s speedometer update

After much time and effort I had it fixed but the mileage indicator did not work and a small male tab broke off from the main connector(the one with all the pins on the back of the speedometer) as I took it on and off the bike for testing-it looks like it was damaged before. . I tried to put it back but was unable to do so and destroyed that part. . I can try to put all three of the broken instruments together-long shot , buy a used one or send it to a repair shop. No sure what I will do.

K75s update

Thanks for the comments-there aren't too many places you can discuss and cuss a K speedometer unit. I am trying to put a good one together.

K75s speedometer unit

I notice that some of the used ones on ebay have an extra male pin on the back. My plugs that go into the back of the instrument unit have on both sides 4 pins then a space? Is that an Abs unit, can they be used? thanks

K75s speedometer

That test with the soldering gun works great. I have found one speedometer unit that works now I have to put together a whole instrument unit-thanks

K75s instrument problems-speedometer

Thanks for the help I now have a working speedometer and tachometer and most of the lights in the instrument pod. Question, all the lights should come on when the key is turned on- right? I am not getting the coolant light or any of the two fuel lights. Should they come on. thanks

The early K bikes do not have an instrument bulb check function.

When you turn on the key, you get a status display.

No oil pressure (because the engine isn't running) = oil light on

No charging (because the engine isn't running). = charging light on

Engine not overtemp = temp light OFF

Fuel not low = right hand low fuel light OFF

Left hand low fuel light used only on '85 and earlier K100s. If there is a gas symbol next to each gas light, the cluster/speedometer is out of one of those bikes. That light was used as an ABS light on later bikes.

Choke light (switch and bulb eliminated on later models maybe around '92) on or off depending on position of lever.

Your lights are working correctly.:thumb

K75s Speedo problems etc

Thank you I can put the instrument pod back on-- install the fairing. ..and ride it. --

Make sure ALL the illumination (green) bulbs are working BEFORE you put it back in.

Back