• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1986 R80RT Timing Marks

Zimm

I am still getting to know my R80 that I bought last year. Observing that the exhaust pipes were bluing from heat, I decided to check the timing. According to the Clymer manual I have, the bike should have an S mark and an F mark. Turning things over slowly, I found a -Z mark and a _S mark with a 01 above it. According to the manual, neither is correct for 86 and there is no mention of the S and 01 mark. Lots about S and F or S and Z, but no mention of an 01 above the S.

I set the timing to the _S mark and the -Z lines up when I advance the throttle. Bike runs fine, but I am curious.

Do I have some sort of oddity, or is the manual incomplete or incorrect?

Can more experienced folk lend some light here?

Thanks

Zimm

Zimm -

Sounds like your Clymer's is not quite right, especially for the post '80 models. For those bikes, there should be a Z or a line near/above the Z for full advance. It should be the line, not the letter itself. As for the 01 around the S mark, I can't imagine what that could be. Typically there are lines, one in the middle for the actual static timing point, with lines on either side of that. Not sure about the 01, though. :dunno

Long full power sessions turns the pipes blue; Its normal
Sounds like you have the timing spot on.
If any doubt, look at your spark plug tip color, consulate a plug color chart.
Any more doubt go to a cooler set of plugs.
You have to have good heat to make full power!

My Clymer manual (1970-1996 models) shows an OT mark on the flywheel to indicate when the piston is at Top Dead Center and is used when setting valve clearance.

Stock BMW header pipes will turn blue, that's normal for single wall pipes,

The ones that turn gold are stainless steel.

Back