• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sertao tires?

I am changing from a 1200gs to a Sertao to do more back roads here in southwestern CO, any recommendations for more aggressive off road tires?

The Continental Twinduro TKC80 has good reviews on Amazon. So does the chunky-monkey Dunlop D606 Dual Sport. I'll probably go with the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara. More off-road than what came on my Sertao but still good on the street where I'll spend most of my time.

I have run 2 sets of TKC 80's, 2 sets of Heideneau K60 Scouts (second set removed and sold because I could not accept the poor off road/mud performance) and currently have a set of Michelin t63's mounted on my '06 Dakar. I have no experience with the Dunlop D606.

I won't use the Heideneau K60 Scouts again because of their poor performance in mud and soft conditions. They are the go to tire for the larger GS's because in these sizes they have a different tread pattern which provides longer tread life. I get the same tread life from the TKC 80's as the Heideneau's, the TKC's are almost as good on pavement and far superior off pavement and they are cheaper.

I am currently running a set of Michelin T63's. These are my favorites so far. I like them better than the Heideneau's on pavement, and off pavement/off road they provide better traction than the TKC 80's. They are surefooted in mud and soft conditions, and feel smooth and sticky on pavement. They are also the least expensive of the lot, which makes replacing tires every 5000 miles less painful.

Here is a photo of the Heideneau I removed, and the T63's I replaced them with.

View attachment 45531

Last edited:
I have had several sets of TKC80's on bikes, Karoos and Dunlop 606s and they are all good. I would say the TKC's lasted the longest on the road and had a great balance of hwy and gravel etc. the Karoos were the best off road closely filled by the 606's. The latter two were a little noisier on the asphalt but soft enough to bite hard in mud and gravel. The price of traction is wear though and so they give up a little life to the TKC's.

For my riding where most is on asphalt and gravel I like the TKC's overall. They are quieter than you would expect, smooth on the road with sir lug pattern and have enough traction and stability to make you smile on the cornering too. Just my opinion.

Back