• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW riders and TATOOS!

MY Tattoo

Here is my tattoo for the airheads, i designed and had to find someone i trust to do it.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 376
I have BMWs AND tattoos. Motorcycling is part of my life, and I have had major body scars from when I was about 12, so I was "over" the concept of having permanent markings on my body.
Owning motorcycles or having tattoos, doesn't make you a bad person. Your parents did that to you! :brad
I DO think "bad" tattoos, or "questionable"* tattoo content is tragic. Can't say that about motorcycles, as I pretty much like them all. Plus, you can always sell a bike, but a tattoo is somewhat more difficult to remove...

*Purely subjective, I know. My personal opinions notwithstanding. Of course.

USMC tattoo on my left shoulder and my Son's name over my heart. Texas state seal is getting added sometime this year to my right shoulder.

Got this (avatar) a few years ago - Bob Nye took this pic at the race in Daytona.

I noticed an immediate improvement in my riding skills when I got it, by the way. Maybe having ink makes you faster, just like black is the fastest color. :D

Sweet!

...being tattoo free!

Getting "ink" is a personal thing, and I know how important they are to some people as reminders, symbols, etc. I have nothing against tattoos or the people that wear them.

But, it's very different in today's world. When I was a kid, the only people that had tattoos were ladies in a circus sideshow, or guys that had served overseas and had the mermaid on their arm.

Go to a summer event now, when people are showing a little skin, and you'll see more people with tattoos than without. Teens and even pre-teens, in some cases with real ink on their arms, backs, and legs. Housewives with butterflies on their shoulders.

Not for me, since I already have enough scars and marks on my body. Like I said, soon, if not already, I'm a loner, a rebel, a guy with no ink. :brow

You stole the words from my mouth! I'll add: For me they are a waste of money as I would rather give it away to my fave charity or blow on travel or bike stuff/other hobbies,family than spend it on personal adornment for any reason given above. Same for gold neck chains and piercings or jewelry, fancy clothes,pony tails & certain other "make a statement hair-do's,etc., just not on my agenda. When I see the "soccer mom" in front of me in the checkout line with kids & a tatoo, I privately think they should have spent the $$$ on their kids or saved it for school,whatever. Yes, it's there $$$.
I'm actually an "artsy sort of guy", had lots of art training & done various craft work all my life-mostly wood but several others at a high level such as jewelry and wood burning and leather among others,just don't see wanting that stuff.FWIW, When I was selling my work it was common for people to assume that I had certain habits, if you get my drift, based on my being creative. Not me at all and I don't view tattoos as an indication of either having or lacking said creativeness. Same for being a motorcyclist-tattoos mean nothing about the hobby, they just are what they are to you alone. If you want one, get one, as it keeps somebody in a job...:laugh

Oooooooooo Look at me.....

IMHO ink is an invitation for attention.....especially the sleeves......almost demanding attention & comment...nothing to do with bikers or motorcyclists........there's also that "peer pressure" thing with many groups...almost like "straight pipes"!!!!!!

I'm not a shrink.....jus' my Oh pinions!!!!:laugh

Tatoos

Tattoos are a permanent reminder of a temporary emotion. I hate needles of any kind, so this works for me.

2012 K1600GTL

It means something to me. That's all I care about.

Attachments

• arrogant bastard 092 (2).jpg
    arrogant bastard 092 (2).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 161
It has been interesting reading the responses to this thread.
Of course I am curious to the ages of all the respondents connected with their Yea/Nay responses. I know ink is much more common in younger folks, and would like to know if that is true in this subculture as well.

I am 40 and have 5, and prefer them to the scars I have, as I at least got to choose their location, design etc.

It means something to me. That's all I care about.

That's the one. I gave serious thought to the Ruination gargoyle but never did it. It looks good. As for the next poster's question; age 61, 1 tattoo (extra credit for correct spelling).

It has been interesting reading the responses to this thread.
Of course I am curious to the ages of all the respondents connected with their Yea/Nay responses. I know ink is much more common in younger folks, and would like to know if that is true in this subculture as well.

I am 40 and have 5, and prefer them to the scars I have, as I at least got to choose their location, design etc.

You missed a group. It's the Yea/Nay/Holier than thou.

Tat

I would like to have one of a fire cracker that glows in the dark, but I am afraid I would never be able to endure the pain as to the choice of my location for this tat.

Always wanted one, never could get the design straight my head enough for someone else to draw it. And didn't want flash ( personal preference )

Finally got one 3 years ago, meaningful to me.

Could care less if anyone ever sees it. Won't even explain it if I'm asked. Only my closest friends know what the story behind it is.

56 on Sunday, and working on the design of the next one

Tats

Been riding BMWs since 1971. Spent 23 years in the Navy. After retiring my wife and I got matching tats on our opposite thighs. Got a Rondel on my shoulder. May get more. I'm 65 this year.

Owned Harleys most of my life, other than the dirt bike stage, and have no tatoos.....guess I have never had enough alcohol in me......:drink

The artwork that some artist produce is just amazing. Not crazy about how it looks after 20 or 30 years though.

Considered one when I was in the service but never followed through. Could not find graphics that I like enough to make it part of me. Now I am glad that I never took the plunge. A military ring celebrating my service time looks much more professional and, unlike ink, no one will be offended by it.

Attachments

• eagle tat.jpg
    eagle tat.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 252
Back