• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

05 RT vs 10 RT

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
I have a 05 RT with 33k and I am looking at a 2010 RT with 22k. Whats the difference between the 05 and 10 models ? Would it be worth trading up 5 years ? Any good changes in the 2010 model vs the 05 ?

I have a 05 RT with 33k and I am looking at a 2010 RT with 22k. Whats the difference between the 05 and 10 models ? Would it be worth trading up 5 years ? Any good changes in the 2010 model vs the 05 ?

the 10's may have ESA on it so u can adjust suspension electronically on the fly. The 10's are now DOHC vs SOHC, which equates to a slight torque bump. If you do your own valve checks, it'll be a little bit easier as they switched to the shim style, which requires buying replacement shims if out of spec, but with the shim style, less adjustments needed.

the 10's also dont have servo-assist brakes (they were removed from 07 and up i think). I've heard servicing the servo-assist brakes were expensive and also when they fail can be catastrophic.

A slight modification to the windscreen to reduce buffeting, a shroud over the speedo/tach console to reduce glare (tho it really doesnt).

handling is probably the same.

I have ESA on my bike and like it. I don't like the servo (power) brakes and never knew anyone who did, so that would be a plus, not having them. I check the valves myself and never liked the shim over bucket (ST1300 Honda I owned) . What is the valve check interval on the 2010 ?

I have ESA on my bike and like it. I don't like the servo (power) brakes and never knew anyone who did, so that would be a plus, not having them. I check the valves myself and never liked the shim over bucket (ST1300 Honda I owned) . What is the valve check interval on the 2010 ?

I had a 2004 R1150R with servo brakes and absolutely loved them. Did the services as prescribed and finally sold the bike with 54,000. The only problem I ever had with that bike was the fuel tank quick disconnects, easily repairable.

New fairing styling
New dashboard
Headlight adjustment knob on dash
Camhead engine ... much nicer
Drain on rear drive
Steel vs aluminum rear wheel spider mount
New handlebar controls and switches
Windshield shape changed
Brakes changed as noted
More likely to have more options
Low chassis version available
New colors
Tune-on-fly exhaust system
Mirrors don't knock off
By 2012 no fuel strip and reinforced fuel pump

Had the '05 and logged many happy miles, including a 3,000 mile trip with my ten year old son as passenger. Only thing I didn't really appreciate was the action of the servo brakes - to me tended to be grabby at unexpected times. Switch was prompted by the change to the cam-head design and the improvements in the braking system. Very happy with my 2010, although I did add a DayLong saddle which has proved to be just that. At this point valves have stayed in adjustment for 18000 miles, and all else working as expected (I lie, as the left switch pod just crapped out - turn signals work but won't shut off, 4-ways work fine, cruise control button has become intermittent- and it's a $360 part/wear item). Just did the RA rally with it.:thumb

New fairing styling
New dashboard
Headlight adjustment knob on dash
Camhead engine ... much nicer
Drain on rear drive
Steel vs aluminum rear wheel spider mount
New handlebar controls and switches
Windshield shape changed
Brakes changed as noted
More likely to have more options
Low chassis version available
New colors
Tune-on-fly exhaust system
Mirrors don't knock off
By 2012 no fuel strip and reinforced fuel pump

Ah, sounds good ! Thanks !!!

Had the '05 and logged many happy miles, including a 3,000 mile trip with my ten year old son as passenger. Only thing I didn't really appreciate was the action of the servo brakes - to me tended to be grabby at unexpected times. Switch was prompted by the change to the cam-head design and the improvements in the braking system. Very happy with my 2010, although I did add a DayLong saddle which has proved to be just that. At this point valves have stayed in adjustment for 18000 miles, and all else working as expected (I lie, as the left switch pod just crapped out - turn signals work but won't shut off, 4-ways work fine, cruise control button has become intermittent- and it's a $360 part/wear item). Just did the RA rally with it.:thumb

Thanks

FWIW, the valve design on the cam head is great. Changing the shims is as easy can be with a valve train that requires shims. At my 12k service all valves where in spec, though I had two at the loose threshold. I decided to adjust all eight valves to bring them closer to the center of the range. Now I have several spare shims of various sizes on hand.

I hope this helps.

valve check interval is the same, every 6000 - though i'm wondering if it can be every 12K since the wetheads are shim styled too? Here's a link of how the valve checks are done on the camheads:

http://sanjosebmw.smugmug.com/Other/Tech-pictures/10976964_HcSC4s#!i=767209614&k=BmBc5cN

Pretty easy. slide feeler gauge in. if out of spec, remove c-clip that holds the rocker arm. the shim should be in the rocker arm. Measure and replace with another shim that brings it into spec. I heard the switch to shims lowers the adjustment intervals down quite a bit. i've read folks riding for 24-35K miles without much need to adjust their valves.

I had an 05RT. I now have the 10RT. The engine definitely gives you more low end power, which, if you are in the twisties and riding second gear, gives you good pull as low as 2000 rpm.

I really liked the servo brakes on the 2005 vs the 2010. The 2010 has great brakes, but the 05 power brakes were really incredible with just one finger. However, I would not want the repair bill if they failed.

The newer windshield is better, but I still put on a Cee Bailey.

The drain on the final drive certainly makes changing the fluid easier.

Both are great bikes. Handling is the same, which is excellent.

If you can upgrade without much loss, why not. I was forced to since my 05 got totaled.

That will teach it to try to escape your trailer.

Thanks for the comments. Never had a RT with the whizzies but do have a K-GT with them. To me, they impede modulation and feel.

I have an 05 RT with the servo brakes. Doesn't bother me at all. It's just something you get used to. Approaching 96,000 miles on mine and trying to decide if I'm going to move up to a 2010 1300GT.

Well, it's taken me a couple of years but I sold my 05 RT and got a very nice 2010 RT
IMG_1675.jpg
Only 17 K on it and it really looks like new. Factory nav, radio, traction control, esa, heated seats etc.
So far I really love this bike. Of course I loved my 05 to but I was ready to move up 5 years and check out the Cam Head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I don't own and have never owned either. But if economic circumstances allow, the '16 will be found to be superior to the '05. If not ride on.

p.s. My current stable inclides a 2001 F650 Dakar with busted enine, a 2004 R1150R making funny noises, and two K75s being ridden daily.

valve check interval is the same, every 6000 - though i'm wondering if it can be every 12K since the wetheads are shim styled too?
Where did you see 6000? I have printed out the service forms that the dealers are supposed to use for each service interval. and those give the valve check interval as 12,000 miles. Just did mine - 12,500 miles - and all were within spec. This sort of design normally is quite stable once bedded in.

No, not Big Red. Voni's venerable R1100RS did get a new engine at 379,000 miles. Her F800S and K75S are both still in sound condition.
Ah - your 1150. Well, it should be looked at as an opportunity to experience the superior engineering of an R1200R.. :wave

Back