Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Sensor Strip Warranty

I read here where the Textron additive can help the fuel strip work better. Just curious, but could the ethanol in the fuel we use cause any problems with the strip? It does have an effect on rubber, so how about the fuel strip. Just sayin...

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Snyder View Post
    I read here where the Textron additive can help the fuel strip work better. Just curious, but could the ethanol in the fuel we use cause any problems with the strip? It does have an effect on rubber, so how about the fuel strip. Just sayin...
    The fuel strip has an epoxy like block at the top which encapsulates the connection of the film strip to the external wires. As far as I could determine, the block was never damaged and the film strips were like new and measured like they should...but were not connected to the wire(s). The failures appeared to be mechanical ones inside the blob much like the notorious key antenna failure.
    BMW never does anything wrong, but instead, they are victims of their customers bad habits...ethanol, overtorqueing the rear wheel flange, etc. even though my wife's S had its fuel strip fail at 10 miles on the speedo and was still on German gas.
    So just zap it with a grill starter module to reweld the contact, and ride to the dealer to have the extended warranty replacement.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Oh, and we've had about 6 or 7 bad strips on 6 BMWs and bought I think 4 of them.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Snyder View Post
    The lesson here is not to believe everything you read here.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by elgin mary View Post
    I personally think that the labor should be reimbursed in my case because I did use an authorized service shop, just not a dealer.
    What is an authorized shop that isn't a dealer? Authorized by whom for what?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Authorized

I think that there are shops which are not dealers that employ techs who are certified to do work on BMW bikes. My bike was way out of warranty when I had the fuel strip replaced. I took it to my mechanic who is authorized to work on BMW bikes.

I just learned that BMW is refusing my claim for reimbursement of the cost of the fuel strip only because the repair was not done at a dealer. That is not how I read the warranty letter.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

I think that there are shops which are not dealers that employ techs who are certified to do work on BMW bikes. .
    Having a Certified Tech at a shop does not make it an Authorized Shop.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

authorized

Then what does make it an authorized shop?

Besides, the warranty letter merely states that they will cover the price of the part if its replaced at an "independent repair facility". They still won't reimbursement me for the part.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

That's what we're asking you. You're the one saying it.

It doesn't matter, though. The answer is almost certainly that they are an independent shop, and if the letter states that you are eligible for reimbursement then the problem is either that you are talking to the wrong person or there is a complication that you are not aware of or not telling us about.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Or

They could just be incorrectly denying my claim.

That is why I posted in the first place to see if anyone else who had their fuel strip replaced at a place other than a dealer got their claim paid.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

They could just be incorrectly denying my claim.

That is why I posted in the first place to see if anyone else who had their fuel strip replaced at a place other than a dealer got their claim paid.
    Call these folks...
    Contact Us
    Since the first one rolled out back in 1923 we have been building motorcycles for real riders. You, with your love of the ride and high standards for performance, have driven us to keep innovating, keep refining, keep improving. So if you have something to say, good or bad, we want to hear it.

Call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the automated voice prompts. There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST. Mon-Fri, if someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message.

You may also reach our Customer Service Department by sending email to CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Customer Service

CJack, those are the people who denied my claim. They said they would not pay the price of the fuel strip because I did not have it replaced at a BMW dealership. I pointed out the language that said they would pay for the part if the repair was done at an independent repair facility. They still said no, trice.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

CJack, those are the people who denied my claim. They said they would not pay the price of the fuel strip because I did not have it replaced at a BMW dealership. I pointed out the language that said they would pay for the part if the repair was done at an independent repair facility. They still said no, trice.
    Oh. Do you have a BMW service bulletin or some such that specifically refers to the fuel strip extended warranty. Could you post it here?
    It's beginning to sound like the warranty and "extended" warranty have different support levels.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Warranty Coverage Extension

I wasn't able to attach a copy of the letter. I can email a copy to you.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

I wasn't able to attach a copy of the letter. I can email a copy to you.
    ok, I replied to your message...
    R1200GS LC Rallye