• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Colostomy bag was choking my bike

M

motorradguy

Just put on a REMUS race system on my 04 R1100S and the chip. No pre-muffler, just a cross collector. The mid range through 3-4-5 is unreal now. Before at 4k RPM and above the bike was vibey, had no real pull, it just felt wrong. Now hitting 5-6k+rpm and no vibes, just a nice purrrr through the bars. Bike pulls very strong in mid range. OK, so I am not as green as I should be....fine! But I have a better bike now, some nice exhaust notes (for all you NJ/ NY bikers, a little sound coming out the end is NOT a bad thing, you know what I mean!)

Guy

04 R1100S
00 Duc St2 (found a new home) :clap

Shaky,

Dont know why, not a mechanic, and dont claim to know that much about it, but its mostly gone. Went 300 miles on Sunday, up to 6500 rpm through gears and vibes the same as 3000 rpm.

Prior to the change, just over 4000 rpm handlebars got real vibey. Under 4000, they were smooth.

Now, I feel what I believe to be road feedback and exhaust note. (the race exhaust most deffinately can be felt through the bike, its 92 db on excell.

Guy

I've been thinking about changing the exhaust on my RS..

1100sguy said:
Now, I feel what I believe to be road feedback and exhaust note. (the race exhaust most deffinately can be felt through the bike, its 92 db on excell.

I don't know a decible from an inch-pound. And I know this is subjective without my having a baseline for decibles, or knowing where they are measured, etc. But is it annoyingly loud? How much did it cost? You took off the cat, right? Where is the chip...I presume under the seat somewhere. I wonder if its in the same spot on the RS. I expect it's "plug and play, huh?

magwa said:
I don't know a decible from an inch-pound. And I know this is subjective without my having a baseline for decibles, or knowing where they are measured, etc. But is it annoyingly loud? How much did it cost? You took off the cat, right? Where is the chip...I presume under the seat somewhere. I wonder if its in the same spot on the RS. I expect it's "plug and play, huh?

The chip is in a silver box that lives under the tank. You need a tool to take out those 'tamper proof' screws and then the box just pops open.

I had a FactoryPro chip in my S bike. The RS carries its little brain in teh same spot.

stolen from http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

Here are some interesting numbers, collected from a variety of sources, that help one to understand the volume levels of various sources and how they can affect our hearing.

Environmental Noise
Weakest sound heard 0dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500' 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower 107dB
Power saw 110dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Jet engine at 100' 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure
Hours per day Sound level
8 90dB
6 92dB
4 95dB
3 97dB
2 100dB
1.5 102dB
1 105dB
.5 110dB
.25 or less 115dB

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

username said:
OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure
Hours per day Sound level
8 90dB
6 92dB
4 95dB
3 97dB
2 100dB
1.5 102dB
1 105dB
.5 110dB
.25 or less 115dB

All good information, but this is the one to really watch out for. These levels are where you start doing damage to your hearing. Ear plugs are your friends.

Please forgive my ignorance to terminology here...what is a colostomy bag on a bike? Is it another term for the CAT?

Just curious...also I agree with wearing ear plugs...since wearing them I find it tough to ride without now, especially on highway. I can definitely cover more ground without feeling beaten by the wind noise. Of course I have to take them out to call the tow truck...lol. :bikes

The other Brand

I put a Staintune system on my 04 R1100s and achieved similar results...Better sound, a bit more torque while shedding several pounds (sans cat). I've not put a chip in it and I'd be curious to see the added performance value. The bike goes like stink now while not offending anyone. I think I may add a K&N air filter over the winter and see what that does...

A question though - Why doesn't BMW put a hugger rear fender on the R1100s instead of the little piece of plastic which unsuccessfully attempts to keep the road grime out of the rear shock? I put a CF one on and it looks great but I see all of the asian rice rockets with them right out of the factory...

The louder it is, the faster it feels. Ask any HD rider. :stick
My silent 1200RT surprises some of the loudest bikes I ride with. I just have to watch the tach cause I can't hear the exhaust.

My Monster is insanely loud and is slow in comparison. But it'll piss off a cellphone user @ 5000rpms :D just ride beside em for a while. :laugh

username said:
Jet engine at 100' 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB
So a Harley leaving a neighbors driveway at 4 am, with the implied time coefficient would place the Harley right around 193 dB??

I removed the cat from my 001150GS (left the stock muffler on), I love the results. Sounds like a motorcycle and not a sewing machine, not obnoxious at all, feels much better, seems to have smooter midrange, and the stupid heat source is removed from beneath the transmission. Little weight loss is ok, but if that was my goal, I could shed a bunch of lbs from my ass a lot cheaper. And one less thing to go wrong.

itsbob2 said:
So a Harley leaving a neighbors driveway at 4 am, with the implied time coefficient would place the Harley right around 193 dB??

What time does her husband get home? 4:30am? :bolt

Back