• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

help cleaning head pipes

skydog

My 08 RT pipes coming from the heads are very dark and I tried to clean them w/o much success by hand , any products or techniques I could try they look terrible !

Lightly sand em with sanding sponge and use VHT flame proof header paint, comes in a rattle can at just about any auto parts. read application, 2 ways you can do it. on or off the bike. that simple, ive done it successfully several times with header still on bike masking off the critical areas. also comes in clear gloss both of which are rated at 1300 and 2000dgs.silica ceramic coating. this is not a plug, iam not in any way vested in this product. jes wana help. ther is a trick to it though, read back of can.

Techniques will differ depending upon whether your headers are chrome plated or stainless steel. On the former, I'd shy away from anything abrasive like the 1500 grit paper, it's too easy to sand right through the plating. On the latter - anything that works!

Besides - shiny pipes on a BMW indicate that you don't ride it.

JayJay

dark pipes

I have the stainless pipes on my 2009RT (why would anyone want chrome? Chrome peels off things) and I kind of like the dark brown colour they've gone. Cleaning doesn't make any difference, so one job less! Ride it, don't clean it.

Its a single wall pipe and will always want to discolor. Chrome polishes help chromed ones but stainless may not hold paint or even badly applied ceramic coats.

Agree with leave it alone and ride.

Back