• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spark plug change on 2010 r1200rt

I have been unable to find a video showing procedure for changing the plugs on my 2010 r1200rt
This will probably do better in the Hexhead/Camhead part of the forum.
I'll give it a move for you.
Good luck.
Gary

Thin Walled Spark Plug Socket at Autozone for $7+tax.

I'm not sure there's a 'procedure' per se. It would be helpful to have one of these but basically you just replace them like you would in a car.

According to Haynes manual the torque (you do have a torque wrench - if not get one of those too or know how to repair the thread in the head) is 12N-m and the gap should be 0.7mm to 0.9mm. There are, in case you didn't know or notice 2 plugs per cylinder.

Search YouTube or Google for "R1200 spark plug change", lots of results.

Procedures are similar for all hex, cam and wet head variations.

With caution, and a rag to prevent scratches on the valve cover, a large screwdriver will pry off the coils.

Hope the OP , chuckr, figured it out in 2014 :wave

Always some good info anyways:thumb

Duh! I hate it when this happens.:banghead BTW he posted in August 2015 he got a K1600...wonder if his '10 RT is just sitting there because the plugs never got changed???

Duh! I hate it when this happens.:banghead BTW he posted in August 2015 he got a K1600...wonder if his '10 RT is just sitting there because the plugs never got changed???

Funny how old threads resurface...and have responded to years old ones a few times as well.

Maybe he traded it in instead of changing the plugs :laugh Even though two are way easier than those six!

I never understood why folks get excited about resurrecting old threads (not saying any of this year's posters did mind you). I've always thought it was helpful to keep all the related info in one place. Anywho...yeah, I didn't notice the date either. :banghead

Really? I was going to use copper anti-seize when I do mine next month. Why?

This is a hot topic like oil and tires. Disclaimer: I use anti seize on spark plugs. Alternate view: Tom Cutter whom I respect hates anti seize on plugs. Fact: BMW does not specify anti seize on plugs.

The plus. If you ever had a steel plug gall in the aluminum threads on a head you might like anti seize. The minus. Use of anti seize or any other lubricant messes with the specified torque setting - reducing it by maybe 25%. That is with the lubricant 25% less measured torque is tight enough and the specified torque might strip threads.

Tom hates it because once there it is hard to detect and then using a torque wrench and the BMW spec can result in stripped threads. I like it because I know it is there and know what to do to avoid stripping threads.

YMMV a lot.

This is a hot topic like oil and tires. Disclaimer: I use anti seize on spark plugs. Alternate view: Tom Cutter whom I respect hates anti seize on plugs. Fact: BMW does not specify anti seize on plugs.

The plus. If you ever had a steel plug gall in the aluminum threads on a head you might like anti seize. The minus. Use of anti seize or any other lubricant messes with the specified torque setting - reducing it by maybe 25%. That is with the lubricant 25% less measured torque is tight enough and the specified torque might strip threads.

Tom hates it because once there it is hard to detect and then using a torque wrench and the BMW spec can result in stripped threads. I like it because I know it is there and know what to do to avoid stripping threads.

YMMV a lot.
Good explanation :thumb
Additionally, when a vehicle recommends high mileage plug changes (50K and up), it’s a big help with the actual plug change.
I like to blow out the spark plug area with compressed air befor starting the R&R.
OM

Fact: Bosch, who essentially invented the spark plug, says no goop on the threads.

Sure, but they won't come install an insert after you gall and strip the threads in the head, now will they. And the spark plug was actually invented in 1839 by one Edmond Berger long before there was a Bosch.

Back